Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What components run off EFI Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 07:09 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What components run off EFI Fuse?

CL,

I'm hoping somebody here could tell me what definitive components are run off the EFI fuse in the engine bay. I've been having some on going issues in my SC400 where if I turn hard left, and smash on the gas the car will die due to the EFI fuse blowing.

After replacing with another fuse [30] it'll take a few cranks before the car will idle fine and stay running. At first, I thought the fuel pump was bad so I replaced it. After replacing it, I took a closer look at all the fuses and noticed that this was the culprit. I'm hoping somebody can provide me some sort of documentation that shows exactly what components in the car run off this EFI fuse so I can start doing extensive trial and error to determine exactly where the short is coming from.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-16, 08:04 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

irrelevant post.

Last edited by Deegee; 11-21-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 08:17 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

irrelevant post.

Old 02-11-16, 09:55 PM
Subjug4tor
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM'ed you a link. Check the last section of the workshop manual for complete wiring diagrams.

Edit- actually having problems with PM's. Will keep trying.

Last edited by Subjug4tor; 02-11-16 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 02:25 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

irrelevant post.

Old 03-22-16, 03:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Have you checked for wire harness rub about the front left wheel well, if lowered?
Old 03-22-16, 07:25 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by t2d2
Have you checked for wire harness rub about the front left wheel well, if lowered?
Yeah, harness is relocated in the engine bay.
Old 03-22-16, 09:45 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Maybe check that everything is solid with your harness relocation? Anything you've modified with electrical connections would seem the most plausible source of the described problem.
Old 05-11-17, 12:38 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Bumping this thread back from the dead.

I'm still having a short somewhere that is causing my EFI fuse to blow. As described in my original post, it occurs when driving the car and throwing it left or right aggressively while smashing on the gas. This problem is also replicated when the front end of the car bottoms out on a hill. The car will immediately die and won't start unless I replaced the fuse.

I suspect that the o2 sensors might be hitting my exhaust, but I'm not too sure how to test this this theory. From everything I've read on the Supra forums and other places on the web it seems that this problem can occur when theres a short in the o2 sensor.

Last edited by Deegee; 11-21-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-21-17, 10:35 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Bump, replaced the ECU and still having EFI fuse problems.

May just bite the bullet and buy another SC400 and swap all my stuff over it's gotten that extreme and hasn't been fixed in years.
Old 11-21-17, 11:16 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

It is my understanding that the EFI components that are controlled by that fuse are the fuel pump (by way of the fuel pump ECU) and the injectors. Have you tested the fuel pump ECU? There may be something loose in the box that is shorting the EFI fuse.

There is also the wire junction box in the dash just under the radio that may have something to do with this issue... That is also worth a quick inspection.

Turning hard left would mean that the right side of the car would dip, so I would check all the wires on the right side of the car.

There are ECU wires that run into the passenger foot well. I would pull the wheel well cover and check to make sure that the rubber boot that protects the wires as they reenter the passenger compartment is in tact. Also check the wires that are in that loom to verify that none of them are shorting against another wire. Check the hole that the wires go through from the engine bay to the wheel well making sure that the sharp edges are covered by the molding that goes around the sheet metal.
The following users liked this post:
Deegee (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 12:29 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
It is my understanding that the EFI components that are controlled by that fuse are the fuel pump (by way of the fuel pump ECU) and the injectors. Have you tested the fuel pump ECU? There may be something loose in the box that is shorting the EFI fuse.
I haven't looked into the fuel pump ECU. How often do these go bad? I'm not sure if it's the original or not the vehicle has over 210K+ miles. Are SC300 and SC400 Fuel pump ECU's the same? Perhaps I can elimate troubleshooting the ECU Fuel Pump and getting another at the junkyard.

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
There is also the wire junction box in the dash just under the radio that may have something to do with this issue... That is also worth a quick inspection.
Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I have an in-dash gps/radio and I've noticed a bundle of wires that I haven't traced, it's a snake pit back there.
Old 11-21-17, 02:04 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I will research more when I get home. Check out the manual though http://www.driftshop.com.au/SC300%20Manual.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Deegee (11-21-17)
Old 11-21-17, 04:55 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Do a search on here, there are tons of threads on the fuel pump ecu. Common failure item. But, your issue is somewhat unique if that is it, most just fail and the car won't run.
Old 03-15-18, 09:10 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Bump.

Replaced the fuel bump ecu with what appears to be a brand new one from the local junkyard.

Drove the car about 30 minutes and bottom the hell out of my driveway and car died. I immediately look under and noticed the exhaust was laying on a slope.

I'm wondering if an O2 sensor below is causing the problem, but not real sure how to trouble shoot...

Quick Reply: What components run off EFI Fuse?