Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Please help with hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 08:04 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with hesitation problem

Hey I have tried to search, and found not a whole lot. I think it is the transmision since I have talked to my service rep and a few members, but just a little insight if anyone has any.

Problem: Frequently but not always the car hesitates at about 1200 rpm on first gear, as well it is a bit 'jerky' sometimes on 1-2 gear change. It is an Auto SC400.

Lexus says the engine is running great, I have done tranny flush recently, and they adjusted the kick back cable or something. Oil change every 3k miles, recently did plugs, wires, timing belt, waterpump, all fluids (last year done).

This problem is just driving me nuts, really makes me not enjoy my car. Anyways if anyone has heard a simular problem, I am hoping its one of those things, 'oh all you have to do is this'.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 04-18-03, 09:37 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same problem, i thought it was just my car cuz i got it used and it wasn't reallie well taken cared of. Any idea on how to remedy this is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-03, 09:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Phoenix, we can speculate this all day, but let me tell you what helped me and hopefully it will be your problem too. mine had a misfired start to it and hesitated at low rpm sometimes. two factors were affecting my car.

1. my intake tube had a leak between the throttle body and the mass airflow sensor. they tube has three connection points where the clamps can leak. this was one of my problems.

2. even though i had a perfectly functional mass airflow sensor, i found that by removing the plug and toothbrushing the pins on the sensor AND the plug then mating them cleanly several times before giving it a good shove back together helped my problem go away after i secured the tube leaks going to the throttle body. the plug looked fine and i had mated the plug previously before, but until i payed close attention to the pins condition and alignment, my problem didnt go away. simple connection problem, good sensor.
Old 04-19-03, 11:01 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Onelast try I appreciate the info, I have taken the sensor off and brushed all the conectors, but just with a damp brush... hopefully this works! I will take it out for a spin and repost after.

I will check those clamps as well.

'my problem didnt go away. simple connection problem, good sensor.'
I am hoping you ment my problem did go away.

Anyways you seem very knowledgeable, and if hopefully it helps me I hope it helps others.
Old 04-19-03, 08:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

did did did did did did did did did.

hehe, it was reeeeeeeealy late on the east coast when i typed that. lol.
Old 04-20-03, 01:24 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SWEET !!!!!!!!

I am having the same problem, I was thinking it was the tranny also.... I had it flushed and that seems to help but it did not go away, I will try what onelasttry stated and I will let you all know.......

onelasttry : a few questions, when you said the intake tube had a leak between the throttle body and the mass airflow sensor. Are you talking about the tube that come off of the air box and goes to the engine???

Also when you found that by removing the plug and toothbrushing the pins on the sensor AND the plug then mating them cleanly several times before giving it a good shove back together. Where is the sensor and also what do you mean by mating????

I am a noob (but learning) when it comes to cars, I know the basic but I have alot to learn

Thanx all
Shawn
Old 04-20-03, 09:28 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

When he says "mating", he's saying to join the two together. There is apparently a "female" part with holes, and a "male" part with pins. I'll let you figure the rest out...
Old 04-20-03, 11:59 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Seemed to help, dunno if it is fixed, had to go to a big party this weekend. I will keep cleaning and cleaning and pray it is that, and if it is, you are a god.

asnatlas: Did you try yours yet? Did it work?
Old 04-21-03, 03:14 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not yet...

Thanx blacksc4, That is what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure

Phoenix88, Not yet, I have been working alot and not had time to get to do it yet.... I will not be able to get to it until this Thur or Fri.... I work 12 hrs days and I am on call also..... So my next fre day is then

But I will post the outcome

Shawn
Old 04-21-03, 01:18 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I use to have the same problem with my 95 but then after I made my BFI intake I noticed that it went away, I really cant tell you why but now I dotn ahve the problem at all. Oh yea and checked all the piping and the MAF also.
Old 05-03-03, 09:08 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I tried to clean the connectors a few times, it seemed to 'help' but didn't rectify the problem. I will keep trying, its not as bad anymore. Thanks onelastry.

lexiss_sc400: I will try to make a BFI sometime, is it worth it? Noticable gains? Did you get a spare box and do it with that or just cut up your only one? Supra TT Box fits as well as SC300/SC400 box... all same right?

asnatlas: Did you get a chance to try it out yet?
Old 05-03-03, 09:28 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Hey Phoenix,
I used my OG air box, and it does make a bit of a difference in throttle response especially at higher speeds. I did actually see some gas mileage improvements, and the best part is the deep exhaust note, everyone who hears my car thinks I have a cat-back exhaust. I'm not sure weather the Supra TT Air Box will fit or not, but it should. Here is the site that taught me how to do the BFI if you read the info on it, it will give u step by step instructions on how to do it and do it right.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/

Tommy
Old 05-03-03, 09:34 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Thanks, I will do that project as well, I have nothing to do for a while since I had surgery done to my mouth. Just do a whole bunch of DIY projects, will post pics! Thanks for the link, Planet Soarer always has great info, feels weird snipping the airbox up... I think I will try first just ripping out the snorkle see if I want to keep going.

Cheers

If you like the exaust note, you should place some magnaflows on put a x-pipe, and rip the resignators out, summer upgrade
Old 06-15-04, 01:31 PM
mserrano
Driver School Candidate

Default SC400 Hesitation

Hey guys, I'm coming in late on the sceen since I just joined the Club recently. But, I've experienced the same hesitation problem that Phoenix 88 did. I've taken my 95 SC400 automatic to the dealership twice now and THEY still can't figure out the source of the problem; they can't even duplicate it. And even if they did, they probably wouldn't be able to diagnose it since it wouldn't show up on any of their fancy diagnositc equipment. But enough of my frustration with the dealership and their trained factory techs.

I want to thank you all for the insight to a possible answer to a real bug of a problem, especially to O.L.T. for his precise discription on the solution. Couple of questions for Phoenix 88 and O.L.T., did the hesitation only occur AFTER the car was totally warmed up? In other words, did it run better when it was cold than when it had been running for a while? Because that's the case with mine. It runs better cold than warmed up, which really threw the dealer for a loop. Secondly, Phoenix 88, did the problem go away after taking O.L.T.'s suggestions?

Hopefully Nick T. at "burnettebr" read your responses since he was having the same problem with his SC. Again, thanks very very much for the info.

mserrano
Old 06-15-04, 05:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default prob

I had hesitation ...until I put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank. No problem since.

Quick Reply: Please help with hesitation problem