Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 07:22 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SERIALN9NE
Thanks estomax!! That is WAY better than both cars we've put them into haha. What shifter are u using? Pics!

SERIALNINE sedankings.
home made home depot special. nothing to be proud about but nothing was available two years ago that would give me a decent shift pattern and let me keep reverse lockout.

from above during my fab:
Attachment 493178

from underneath
Attachment 493179

the shift pattern is slightly trapezoid because of the geometry but it is barely noticeable. otherwise works alright, side to side has a bit more slop than i'd like though. had to cut the top of the trans tunnel to bring all the parts above it, but otherwise the trans fits under it just fine.

Marko
Old 02-16-16, 05:20 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Just heard back from southbend. The clamping force on their pressure plate used in the NSK1000-SS-TZ kit, which is rated to 575 ft lbs, is 2850lbs.

Compared to the ACT Xtreme N021X pressure plate used in the Collins kit, which is rated to 670 ft lbs, which was 3460lbs.

So, I guess one has to decide if the extra 100 ft lb torque capacity is worth the extra 600 lb of load on the thrust washers, relating to crank walk...

In my case, I am just going to go for the southbend kit, and will sell the ACT kit. Southbend kits have a reputation for holding more than what they are rated for as well...

OK, I am done talking about crank walk in this thread.

But, it is something definitely worth considering if going with the cd009 retrofit kit because there aren't a lot of mutli disc clutch options available at this point. So, if you plan on making huge power (greater than say 550 rw tq) on a cd009, just realize that you will end up needing a Maverick adapter with SPEC twin disc. And SPEC is not the best brand... Otherwise, you will need to go with the ACT 670ft lb kit, and put a TON of stress on the crank, while also sacrificing DD ability. Just my $.02 at this point. I am hoping that in the future, some good clutch manufacturers hop on the bandwagon here and start making off the shelf clutches/flywheels for these swaps...
Collins has a twin disc setup for more money last I talked to him.
Old 02-17-16, 09:55 AM
SERIALN9NE
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn that looks crazy! So I JUST realized this is in the SC forums. Oh well. For reference here is the car getting the tranny.

So it had to be level with the rails. Here is where we ended up

Tunnel finish today. Then DS then reassembly! FYI we are using factory TOYOTA land cruiser flywheel redrilled to 350z clutch. Pilot bushing adaptor sleeve as well.

G.
Old 02-17-16, 10:33 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now that is interesting, if a land cruiser flywheel without any more modification than redrilling for 350z pressure plate works then that is a good discovery! what about the pilot bushing adapter? is that stock too? are you shaving the transmission bell housing at all?

thanks
Marko
Old 02-17-16, 12:37 PM
SERIALN9NE
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by estomax
now that is interesting, if a land cruiser flywheel without any more modification than redrilling for 350z pressure plate works then that is a good discovery! what about the pilot bushing adapter? is that stock too? are you shaving the transmission bell housing at all?

thanks
Marko
No we made the pilot bushing adaptor as well. We did shave the trans down a LOT also had to cut the sides off due to celsior 1uz flanges being exactly where the adaptor plate/trans is

G.
Old 02-18-16, 06:38 PM
NOLAGG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man I just installed this kit with a JWT street clutch kit . Only thing I had to do was sand down the pilot adaptor with 600 grit sand paper around the perimeter to slide the flywheel over it since he told me their machined to 1000ths of an inch and for hours wasn't sliding over it so what I did was sand a little test it, sand a little, test it till it went on. So far the kit works well, no problems and daily driven.

Any questions fire away
Old 02-18-16, 07:42 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Collins has a twin disc setup for more money last I talked to him.
Yeah you're right he does. His adapter would require the use of the auto flexplate with his twin disc application. I don't know why he couldn't just design it with the starter gear attached..

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Hey man I just installed this kit with a JWT street clutch kit . Only thing I had to do was sand down the pilot adaptor with 600 grit sand paper around the perimeter to slide the flywheel over it since he told me their machined to 1000ths of an inch and for hours wasn't sliding over it so what I did was sand a little test it, sand a little, test it till it went on. So far the kit works well, no problems and daily driven.

Any questions fire away
Thanks a lot! I ended up going with a South Bend Stage 3 Endurance kit with silent disc. Hopefully everything fits perfect and I won't have to play around with anything
Old 02-18-16, 07:55 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

NOLAGG what kit is that? And that's cool about the JWT clutch, so you were able to just use an off the shelf clutch on that setup?

I have a JWT clutch on my setup as well, and a JWT flywheel. My clutch has the metallic disc though rather than the standard organic.
Old 02-19-16, 04:58 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

NOLAGG what kit is that? And that's cool about the JWT clutch, so you were able to just use an off the shelf clutch on that setup?

I have a JWT clutch on my setup as well, and a JWT flywheel. My clutch has the metallic disc though rather than the standard organic.
That is the new Collins kit (no milling needed kit). The packing slip for the ACT clutch kit that came with mine are off the shelf 350z part numbers:

Pressure plate: N021X
6 puck sprung disc: 6250306
Alignment tool: AT01

So, I am assuming that you can use any off the shelf clutch with his new kit. I sure hope so, because I just bought a South Bend kit. The flywheel is pretty beefy, so I am assuming that all the stackups are taken into account on that to mate with a standard 350z clutch kit.
Old 02-19-16, 12:22 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I must be lucky *** a **** cause I have two of these transmissions that I got for free. So here is just a little tester of knowledge and too get some opinions.

I happen to have a 2006 G35 CD009 transmission (external slave and shift fork) with only 55k miles on it & I also happen to have a newer 2009 G37 JK40C Transmission (Internal concentric slave and NO SHIFT FORK) with 39k miles on it..

If I have been reading correctly, the specs I believe are Identical between the two, just small parts internally that have been updated throughout the years. Now my question is what trans should I use?

I have been looking at the Collins Stage 5 regardless of what transmission I go with due to the high pressure of the single disc set-ups.. so for my build I am going with the twin disc for the SC300 (req's auto flex-plate)

I have also done some research and found that ZSpeed performance offers an upgraded Hydraulic throw-out and a Tilton slave (replaces the factory plastic housed one that tends to break under a few too many clutch kicks). There was a video floating around you-tube of a guy with this set up on his 2JZ but with the newer style there was also a metal shim plate that sat behind the throw-out to align it properly... I cant seem to find the video now to link it

So my questions are, since i have both options at an unbeatable price, what trans should I use? Also, with the Collins kit, do I actually need to pull the engine and trans out together in order to get it in without banging the tunnel to ****. I have access to a lift and endless tools so I wanted to work out all the kinks before begging the boss to use a lift for a weekend swap.

Last edited by Aswilley; 02-19-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-19-16, 01:57 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aswilley
I must be lucky *** a **** cause I have two of these transmissions that I got for free. So here is just a little tester of knowledge and too get some opinions.

I happen to have a 2006 G35 CD009 transmission (external slave and shift fork) with only 55k miles on it & I also happen to have a newer 2009 G37 JK40C Transmission (Internal concentric slave and NO SHIFT FORK) with 39k miles on it..

If I have been reading correctly, the specs I believe are Identical between the two, just small parts internally that have been updated throughout the years. Now my question is what trans should I use?

I have been looking at the Collins Stage 5 regardless of what transmission I go with due to the high pressure of the single disc set-ups.. so for my build I am going with the twin disc for the SC300 (req's auto flex-plate)

I have also done some research and found that ZSpeed performance offers an upgraded Hydraulic throw-out and a Tilton slave (replaces the factory plastic housed one that tends to break under a few too many clutch kicks). There was a video floating around you-tube of a guy with this set up on his 2JZ but with the newer style there was also a metal shim plate that sat behind the throw-out to align it properly... I cant seem to find the video now to link it

So my questions are, since i have both options at an unbeatable price, what trans should I use? Also, with the Collins kit, do I actually need to pull the engine and trans out together in order to get it in without banging the tunnel to ****. I have access to a lift and endless tools so I wanted to work out all the kinks before begging the boss to use a lift for a weekend swap.
wow, that's awesome! that saves you about $800. That's what I paid for mine with shipping. Which CD009 is it? Does it have CD# 02, or #01? #02 is the latest and greatest for 2006's with clutch fork.

I have read a couple different places that the trans with the fork is better to use. I don't know why though. And I am hoping to get away with installing the trans without pulling the motor. The top bellhousing bolts on the cd009 are going to be tough to get to though.. I may at the very least have to loosen up the motor mounts, unbolt downpipe, and address a couple other things to be able to get a jack under the front of the motor and tilt it back to get access to the top bolts. We shall see...
Old 05-16-18, 03:50 PM
LSINA7
Driver School Candidate

I don't see much more from anyone on this subject recently. What did everyone decide was the best route here?
Old 05-16-18, 04:57 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Forums are going by the way side. If you're looking for more recent feedback you're probably better off checking the FB groups..
Old 05-17-18, 08:09 PM
ibizaflu
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, not a heavy hitter here sad to see it go that way. Just had the CD009 swap done.
Old 05-18-18, 02:51 AM
LSINA7
Driver School Candidate

Forums are going by the way side. If you're looking for more recent feedback you're probably better off checking the FB groups..
If anyone could direct me into where to find a bit of more current info that would be great. I picked up a CD009 and am trying to figure out where to go for the swap parts.

Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!