Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

r155 transmission a new solution to r154

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 12:32 PM
supragt35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
And since we are on the topic of taking apart gearboxes and swapping gears I'll just leave this here.

http://www.driftmotion.com/product-p/dm3045.htm

Less than $750 turns your ****ty, tired old R154 into a truly upgraded gearbox.

Since I brought up the CD009 first here I'm guessing much of the ranting is aimed at me. As I explained before, MY biggest issue with my R154 is the rear seal. It's a fact of life I live with and can tolerate but given the opportunity, would gladly get rid of if possible. The R155 makes no promises towards fixing that issue, correct me if I'm wrong. It doesn't make sense to "upgrade" my R154 with a +$1000 dollar used gearbox when I already bought one not too long ago for less than that and it already had a proper 1st gear ratio. I am a CD009 fanboy. There I said it. Before joining the SC community, I was a fairly active 350Z guy that ran my CD009 very hard on the street, and ultimately as a trailer queen road course toy. It shifts like a dream compared to the R154. It has an extra cog in it. It easily handles over 1000rwhp in drag applications. It's also cheap. It's honestly IMO a BETTER gearbox in just about every way than even the mighty V160.

Given the option of dumping my R154? That's where my money will go for now. I don't see the R155 as being a better option for anyone that already as an R154.

Again, this is my opinion on the matter.
What is your zip code? I can show you the prices
Old 01-24-16, 01:45 AM
supragt35
Rookie

And since we are on the topic of taking apart gearboxes and swapping gears I'll just leave this here.

http://www.driftmotion.com/product-p/dm3045.htm

Less than $750 turns your ****ty, tired old R154 into a truly upgraded gearbox.

Since I brought up the CD009 first here I'm guessing much of the ranting is aimed at me. As I explained before, MY biggest issue with my R154 is the rear seal. It's a fact of life I live with and can tolerate but given the opportunity, would gladly get rid of if possible. The R155 makes no promises towards fixing that issue, correct me if I'm wrong. It doesn't make sense to "upgrade" my R154 with a +$1000 dollar used gearbox when I already bought one not too long ago for less than that and it already had a proper 1st gear ratio. I am a CD009 fanboy. There I said it. Before joining the SC community, I was a fairly active 350Z guy that ran my CD009 very hard on the street, and ultimately as a trailer queen road course toy. It shifts like a dream compared to the R154. It has an extra cog in it. It easily handles over 1000rwhp in drag applications. It's also cheap. It's honestly IMO a BETTER gearbox in just about every way than even the mighty V160.

Given the option of dumping my R154? That's where my money will go for now. I don't see the R155 as being a better option for anyone that already as an R154.

Again, this is my opinion on the matter.

https://vimeo.com/60532611

Countless drift sessions and season's with the r155 and no problems so far running like a champ I guess you guys can keep your r154
Old 01-24-16, 01:52 AM
supragt35
Rookie

Ok. Lets talk price.

Heres a "$200" used R155

ebay link removed.

$1000+ That doesn't even include freight charges.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-24-16 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Removed ebay link in quote.
Old 01-24-16, 01:54 AM
supragt35
Rookie

Originally Posted by supragt35
You know what car-part.com is? Why who'd you use eBay if you can pick one up at a location near you
Old 01-24-16, 01:58 AM
supragt35
Rookie

Ok. Lets talk price.

Heres a "$200" used R155

ebay link removed

$1000+ That doesn't even include freight charges.
Man why do I have to do all the work for you lol
Old 01-24-16, 04:29 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

supragt35, are you just posting now to goad an argument or do you have further information directly related to swapping your R155? For the last few pages it's seemed more like the former to me rather than the latter. You also seemed to completely miss the very point of my last post to you a couple of pages back.

I don't personally care how crazy your project might seem to others as long as that's what you're focusing on and sharing with us in the community but if all you're doing is making passive-aggressive posts at anyone who so much as questions even the smallest details of your swap recommendation then we have a bit of a problem here.

You posted a video which seemed to be a random Soarer from New Zealand (no mention of the manual transmission used) and several screen captures of random places to inquire about these R155's.

So far other than on page one I've only seen a few parts listed for the conversion of the R155 but no direct proof that the front input shaft indeed fits, that the 1st gear from an R154 indeed fits, or even where the "JZX100" toploader style shift extension comes up in the center console (does it align to the 95-97 SC300 5-speed tripod shifter area? The 92-94 SC300 5-speed shifter area? A random location that requires cutting?)

There are multitudes of specifics (or pictures if you'd be so kind because visual aids are a great tool) that have not yet been demonstrated for us to observe. Those specifics for something on the order of a slightly unconventional transmission swap could help anyone who actually DOES want to do this swap, yet all I'm seeing from you for the last couple of days is a tremendous amount of passive-aggressive argument with other posters to the point you you keep posting AT them.

I feel like I'm one of the few people posting in this thread who would actually like to see a working result because I happen to like odd approaches. So far I haven't seen that demonstrated yet. And your attitude with people here has been trying to put it mildly.

Please help me understand where this thread is going at this point because I'm a bit lost myself.
Old 01-24-16, 09:35 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I feel like I'm one of the few people posting in this thread who would actually like to see a working result because I happen to like odd approaches.
Same here. I think a lot of people have stayed out of it because of the confrontational tone the thread has taken. supragt35, we're interested in how this turns out, but ya gotta chill, man. Quoting the same person's entire message multiple times in a row is akin to typing in all caps. People want info, not to be yelled at.
Old 01-24-16, 02:09 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stand corrected. You CAN get them for well under $1000. Not exactly low mileage but acceptable for that price.

I'll still stick to my other original points. If it has any improvement over a standard R154 it may be worth it. Right now I don't see any.

Personally, If I am opening the gearbox to replace 1st gear, I would rather open a gearbox and upgrade it with the Driftmotion or Marlin goodies instead of just rebuilding one gear. Otherwise, I'll stick to the standard R154 until it dies.
Old 01-24-16, 10:19 PM
supragt35
Rookie

OK for people who don't know
Car-part.com is a website built for junkyards and salvage yards to post there parts online you just put your year in zip code make model and what part your looking for and there you go you found what your looking for no eBay bs

R155 is a direct swap BESIDES INPUT SHAFT for guys already running a r154 set up in a Sc

Driftmotion r154 billet forks are the same as r155 1-4 if you want to swap you can

No 1st gear thrust washer problems
In the r155

Rear seal shouldn't be a problem if its your dd with under 700whp like anyone even comes close to those number figure's I doubt in dd set up
if its a drag set up or drift set up then there might be a problem time will tell
Who'd have to push it to its limit to know

That video I posted is not a soarer LOL its a r32 full swap 1jz single turbo pushing 350+whp on his r155 trans and he has not had a single problem with it or a rear seal issue 2 season's of hard drifting
Old 01-24-16, 11:34 PM
supragt35
Rookie

Even if you do a r154 rebuild kit for $750 the trans will never be as fresh as a r155 the gears are going to have small imperfections and chips and 100+miles on it so you guy's need to understand that part nobody even thinks about gear longevity when doing a rebuild on there r154 with that kind of abuse and hi miles

Last edited by supragt35; 01-24-16 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 07:10 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I didn't want to get into this thread since I am not fond of the R154 or R155 due to SO MANY people I personally know having problems at the level we want the R154 to perform and the R155 ...I know nothing about. But I was keeping an eye on it since my attention was called about it to help stir it to the right direction.

Let's keep this thread with facts and real life experiences so people will learn. Avoid the he says / she says stuff or unverifiable claims which usually lead no where but hurt feelings and egos exploding when contradictory views arises. Good theories or ideas do not always translate to actual good experiences. People will continue to doubt till they see a number of real life verifiable experiences. Like years ago , majority of die hard 2JZGTE guys were avoiding the VVTi version. People will argue to death about the non vvti being better , now a lot of these guys are converting to it especially for street driven cars due to the advantages that are now verifiable with people using such power trains.

OP- since it looks like not a lot of people know you on this forum, I would assume you have been in this game of performance cars for a while so you know that the performance world is a small world. What I mean is , somebody's car would one way or another be known by somebody in a community. Maybe you can post who are making over 600-700rwhp or more on the R154 or R155 without any problems so people can check out their solutions to the well documented problems inherent to the R154 beyond 600rwhp (e.g. too much pressure in high torque / hp application causes leaks on the transmission) and learn from them. Am sure there are , but based on well published documentations on different forums and my personal experiences with colleagues which helped me decide to avoid the transmission , they are more of the exception than the majority ....... reason somebody here mentioned about it. Many times it has something to do also on how or where is the vehicle used. So verifiable claims about something can help more people to learn which is one of the objectives of car forums.

I understand that the R155 as you have said is newer , consequently unabused internals, you got a point. But until it has been proven or people do see results with the JZ power train over 500rwhp just like what they have seen with R154 or V160 , they will be skeptical. Till then it is theory. The R154 became an alternative to the V160 till people started seeing its limitation. You might say but who is even running 500rwhp and above on their cars ? Assuming that you have been in this game for a while, surely you know car enthusiasts always want something that can support more or want the best even if they don't really need it. Right now the CD009 is being explored. Till a lot of people had proven it with high hp JZ power trains , and have seen its full capabilities and limitations just like what they have seen on the V160 , people will be hesitant to get into it. I personally am on that boat. I am a die hard V160 client having 4 cars with V160 now but I want to try the CD009 in one of my cars that has a built auto transmission but hesitant to throw $4k into something I am not yet sure if it will handle what I wanted it to handle torque / power wise, how reliable and durable it is. I would rather spend more into something proven than throw funds into something that I am uncertain of the results. I hate being a guinea pig. That is just me since I hate throwing away hard earned money. Am sure someone will say , the CD009 in a 350z had been dynoed by SP making over 1200rwhp on a Nissan. But that is one so far , is there a second, third, fourth in a JZ powertrain to prove the same ? Dyno is one thing , continuous usage for the intended purpose of the vehicle is another thing. I haven't seen or known a CD009 continuously abused the same way the V160 had been continuously abused in the drag strips , half mile or mile runs at well over +1000rwhp or 800 ft/lbs of torque that is why I am still skeptical about it. But that is not the topic here. I am just giving it as an example when I said , people would be skeptical without verifiable claims in the JZ environment. I guess that is why the Supra Community haven't really embrace the CD009 alternative. They in my opinion will be the community where there would be more members who will embrace such alternative once it is fully proven that it is as robust as the V160 .

One last note , indeed there are hundred of thousands of performance enthusiasts or people wanting this or that performance car but there are only a few able or even willing to spend to get that reliable performance from a car. People would spend a lot on how the car looks but let them drop a bunch of money to get that performance , not a lot would be able to do it for whatever reasons. Much more, I would guess 95% of these performance enthusiasts do not even work on their power train and drive train even if it is just removing or installing a plug and play part like an engine or transmission. To make matters worse , changing internal parts of an item like the input shaft of a transmission, to get it working or being able to adapt it on a car, would even be a negating factor in convincing people to use such alternative since probably only 2% of the performance enthusiasts can do that... another reason for the skepticism on this thread . So it will take a lot of convincing till they see the real benefits and real life examples.

So to keep this thread open and discussion alive , I would suggest, let's keep this thread with facts and verifiable examples to get the interest of many. That would also prove your point to those who do not agree with your views... in the process , educating us who do not know anything about the R155. I believe that was the purpose of your thread right ? .......Asking people's opinion and having a healthy and mature discussion about the topic at hand ?

Last edited by gerrb; 01-25-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-25-16, 01:18 PM
supragt35
Rookie

Originally Posted by gerrb
I didn't want to get into this thread since I am not fond of the R154 or R155 due to SO MANY people I personally know having problems at the level we want the R154 to perform and the R155 ...I know nothing about. But I was keeping an eye on it since my attention was called about it to help stir it to the right direction.

Let's keep this thread with facts and real life experiences so people will learn. Avoid the he says / she says stuff or unverifiable claims which usually lead no where but hurt feelings and egos exploding when contradictory views arises. Good theories or ideas do not always translate to actual good experiences. People will continue to doubt till they see a number of real life verifiable experiences. Like years ago , majority of die hard 2JZGTE guys were avoiding the VVTi version. People will argue to death about the non vvti being better , now a lot of these guys are converting to it especially for street driven cars due to the advantages that are now verifiable with people using such power trains.

OP- since it looks like not a lot of people know you on this forum, I would assume you have been in this game of performance cars for a while so you know that the performance world is a small world. What I mean is , somebody's car would one way or another be known by somebody in a community. Maybe you can post who are making over 600-700rwhp or more on the R154 or R155 without any problems so people can check out their solutions to the well documented problems inherent to the R154 beyond 600rwhp (e.g. too much pressure in high torque / hp application causes leaks on the transmission) and learn from them. Am sure there are , but based on well published documentations on different forums and my personal experiences with colleagues which helped me decide to avoid the transmission , they are more of the exception than the majority ....... reason somebody here mentioned about it. Many times it has something to do also on how or where is the vehicle used. So verifiable claims about something can help more people to learn which is one of the objectives of car forums.

I understand that the R155 as you have said is newer , consequently unabused internals, you got a point. But until it has been proven or people do see results with the JZ power train over 500rwhp just like what they have seen with R154 or V160 , they will be skeptical. Till then it is theory. The R154 became an alternative to the V160 till people started seeing its limitation. You might say but who is even running 500rwhp and above on their cars ? Assuming that you have been in this game for a while, surely you know car enthusiasts always want something that can support more or want the best even if they don't really need it. Right now the CD009 is being explored. Till a lot of people had proven it with high hp JZ power trains , and have seen its full capabilities and limitations just like what they have seen on the V160 , people will be hesitant to get into it. I personally am on that boat. I am a die hard V160 client having 4 cars with V160 now but I want to try the CD009 in one of my cars that has a built auto transmission but hesitant to throw $4k into something I am not yet sure if it will handle what I wanted it to handle torque / power wise, how reliable and durable it is. I would rather spend more into something proven than throw funds into something that I am uncertain of the results. I hate being a guinea pig. That is just me since I hate throwing away hard earned money. Am sure someone will say , the CD009 in a 350z had been dynoed by SP making over 1200rwhp on a Nissan. But that is one so far , is there a second, third, fourth in a JZ powertrain to prove the same ? Dyno is one thing , continuous usage for the intended purpose of the vehicle is another thing. I haven't seen or known a CD009 continuously abused the same way the V160 had been continuously abused in the drag strips , half mile or mile runs at well over +1000rwhp or 800 ft/lbs of torque that is why I am still skeptical about it. But that is not the topic here. I am just giving it as an example when I said , people would be skeptical without verifiable claims in the JZ environment. I guess that is why the Supra Community haven't really embrace the CD009 alternative. They in my opinion will be the community where there would be more members who will embrace such alternative once it is fully proven that it is as robust as the V160 .

One last note , indeed there are hundred of thousands of performance enthusiasts or people wanting this or that performance car but there are only a few able or even willing to spend to get that reliable performance from a car. People would spend a lot on how the car looks but let them drop a bunch of money to get that performance , not a lot would be able to do it for whatever reasons. Much more, I would guess 95% of these performance enthusiasts do not even work on their power train and drive train even if it is just removing or installing a plug and play part like an engine or transmission. To make matters worse , changing internal parts of an item like the input shaft of a transmission, to get it working or being able to adapt it on a car, would even be a negating factor in convincing people to use such alternative since probably only 2% of the performance enthusiasts can do that... another reason for the skepticism on this thread . So it will take a lot of convincing till they see the real benefits and real life examples.

So to keep this thread open and discussion alive , I would suggest, let's keep this thread with facts and verifiable examples to get the interest of many. That would also prove your point to those who do not agree with your views... in the process , educating us who do not know anything about the R155. I believe that was the purpose of your thread right ? .......Asking people's opinion and having a healthy and mature discussion about the topic at hand ?
100% agree with you some of the guys here don't even know how to inquire a transmission with out eBay
Supporting your locally owned junkyard is the best place to get parts or on the forums

I should have told people from the start that this is a budget build not a 1000whp build For people who do there own work this is the cheapest way out of there dead r154

I been in this game for a long time from mk3 full swap jza70-r to a full swap sc300 soarer I have abused the living hell out of the r154 and have lots of experience in shifting this boat
I never had to write something up on clublex so that is why I never set a account up so the more posting you have her will not make you any smarter then the next guy who keeps to himself but this on the other hand is a thing worthy of opening up a clublex account and helping some r154 owners

So let's make this really clear if you Guy's have a r154 Sc and trans is going out then this r155 is the cheapest way out Even if you don't do your own work a trans shop will charge you no more then $300 to do this input swap and remember to use car-part.com to find this r155 trans not eBay

Guys I know the cd trans is sick I have test drove a friends 350 and I flat foot shifted every gear with out problems the shifting part of it is sick and smooth like butter and fast. power holding wise I don't know about that part because sp 350z did put down that 1100+whp dyno power but remember that was not for a long time then they switched over to a th400 so there was a reason behind all that

Collins adapters got it's own problems
No speedo working
Custom trans brackets
Custom driveshaft
Price price price$$$ Collins is making good money off this set up $2000+

If you want to do cd set up I recommend you guys maverick motorsports they have more research and development into there cd swap kit And the price is a lot cheaper then Collins

And v160 we all know is king and if I were making big power and wanted a trans that holds countless 1/4miles records then I who'd go that way

If someone can provide me a list of sc cd set ups that are pushing more then 1000whp or a list of 1/4 time slips then please provide that on this forum
And show people the claims

So here is how I see it if your trans is dead and you have a r154 then go r155 if r155 is not enough for your dd then save money and go v160 with super simple set up no crazy shifter problems speedo brackets driveshaft
End of talk
Old 12-09-16, 06:08 AM
is300nat
Driver School Candidate

Stock R155 with 1jz bellhousing

MKIV 5 speed trans mount and use IS auto trans cross member

Driveshaft shop TOSH12 Driveshaft its for a R154 swap in an IS300
R150 10" OAL input shaft with new bearing pressed on
Input shaft installed

Drift motion 12- and 3-4 Billet shift forks

New output shaft bearing installed
1jz bellhousing installed with the inputshaft in
Jzx110 shift and 1jz bellhousing

Mates to 1jz with CC lightweight flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch

Installed can get better trans pics and shifter pics later
Hey guys I'm the one that did the swap but it's an iS300 not an SC300 and have talked a guy through the swap in a MKIV with a GS400 3.26 rear diff and it's doing great, I'm finishing up my build with my 1jz VVTi with the R155 and IS300 3.73 LSD diff, for anyone wanting to argue the R155 it's close to the R154 but better! All parts are still 100% available for purchase unlike the R154 and my swap has cost about the same if not less than the R154 swap due to I paid $350 for my gear box with less that 65k miles
Old 12-09-16, 03:35 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Interesting and awesome to see this done! The input shaft seems to be the biggest amount of work to change over but the MC and DM internal upgrades all seem to fit(?). Also the tail housing on your R155 appears to have the correct staggered mount spacing for stock SC300/MKIV W58 transmission mounts and factory SC300/MKIV W58 cross-members. I am very curious as to your impressions of the R155's gear spacing (especially 1st to 2nd to 3rd) with the 3.73:1 rear end and the high revving 1JZ. With the turbo you have on a VVT-i system when do you anticipate your boost coming on? Also, what target wheel horsepower are you aiming for?

If 3.73 works well for you overall then the most common and easily obtained ratio that would work for SC owners would still be 3.92 from an SC400. Since that's still more aggressive than the 3.76 TT Auto (or Aristo V300 3.76) ratio we can use I'm wondering how well either one matches up to the R155's 1-3 ratios. Overdrive is slightly more aggressive than in the R154 but only by a bit.

Does the GS400 owner who also installed one of these in his 3.26 car also have a thread?

Please feel free to post your seat-time impressions with this setup!

Edit: Also, did you find that the Marlin Crawler billet front bearing retainer plate would install into the R155? What about the MC chromoly 1st gear thrust washer that is commonly used on R154 rebuilds? Very curious about whether or not those are compatible.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-09-16 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 09:35 PM
MrGi11
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this thread is old... but whatever happened to this swap... how is it doing? was it all it was supposed to be or ..... interested in finding out. Thanks.

Quick Reply: r155 transmission a new solution to r154