Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

r155 transmission a new solution to r154

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 04:54 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow 9's. Cool.
Not exactly what I'm looking for.

Does he leak oil after swapping the seal and driving for less than 10k miles?

I daily drive my R154. It was on a small 60-1 when it started leaking. I have never run 9's. I was pushing half the power he was and i started leaking. This does not help me at all. Many of us have similar stories.

It's an option for those that are NOT pushing 500+rwhp or putting mileage on their trans. It does not appear to trump the AR5 at this point nor does it come close to matching the CD009 in my opinion. I appreciate the idea but I'll pass for now. Unless the rear seal issue is addressed, I have no desire to swap an R154 for an R155.It's simply not a "new solution for R154."
Old 01-21-16, 08:39 PM
JasGS350
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I for one applaud supragt35 for providing us a alternative to the overpriced r154's that people are selling. I think a lot of people are missing the point in this thread he's created. Great job man. I look to swap a manual into my supercharged sc400 in the very near future and I'm in to see how it works out for you. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-21-16, 09:06 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by supragt35
First off you don't have to be a member to see what people's post on here to do research on clublex so an open forum and info is open for everyone and second you don't even know my experience with r154 or jz in general so who are you to judge? LOL
And third you marked your self by saying r154s blow oil left and right I can post a list of a lot of guy running a r154 with way over 700whp with out oil Issues you seem to be having from your bad experience sorry man but you haven't even went into a r155 or have mentioned it in the past or idea from any of your posting here on clublex and never did I once post something about whp rating for the r155 I just stated the gear set looks like a r154 but a Lil beefer from my looking and there is no 1st gear thrust washer problem in r155 and you can use billet forks for strength so for you to say I invented something is so stupid on your part because you didn't put time into it and I did all I wanted was positive feedback and to show people research you are making it look like you have did this swap and had bad experience and the trans failed on you on your so called 700whp mark lol
Post #49, you said it would out perform the 154;

Forums are for discussions, if you only wanted to hear positive feedback, should've gone to your mom.

Ugh, I'm over it. You're too stubborn to take advice and your blatant lack of grammar is nauseating, best of luck to ya guy.
Old 01-22-16, 10:51 AM
supragt35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Wow 9's. Cool.
Not exactly what I'm looking for.

Does he leak oil after swapping the seal and driving for less than 10k miles?

I daily drive my R154. It was on a small 60-1 when it started leaking. I have never run 9's. I was pushing half the power he was and i started leaking. This does not help me at all. Many of us have similar stories.

It's an option for those that are NOT pushing 500+rwhp or putting mileage on their trans. It does not appear to trump the AR5 at this point nor does it come close to matching the CD009 in my opinion. I appreciate the idea but I'll pass for now. Unless the rear seal issue is addressed, I have no desire to swap an R154 for an R155.It's simply not a "new solution for R154."
Yes it is a better option then a ar5 I just explained to you guy's the price differences and you still seem like you don't get it? What power are you running? on your r154 and how much miles do you put in a year? Your making it seem like I just told everyone that the r155 is a easy 1000+whp trans I never did say that
I explained to you guy's that this is a simple solution to a r154 and a ar5 because look at the price difference and look at the compatibility
Old 01-22-16, 11:10 AM
supragt35
Rookie

Originally Posted by JasGS350
I for one applaud supragt35 for providing us a alternative to the overpriced r154's that people are selling. I think a lot of people are missing the point in this thread he's created. Great job man. I look to swap a manual into my supercharged sc400 in the very near future and I'm in to see how it works out for you. Keep up the good work.
Thank you man for understanding people here keep shoving r154 ar5 and cd trans down people's throat it all comes down to price$$$ its really simple
Old 01-22-16, 12:49 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its not always about price when you consider all the work that goes into swapping transmissions just to end up with a ****** 1st gear. You couldn't pay me to install a r155 in my car. its not a solution to the r154 unless its as good or better, what you are talking about is a worse but less expensive alternative, not a better replacement.

People have been bolting 7M's and 2JZ's to R150 transmissions for years, but the difference is they do it in a truck where the gearing makes sense. the r155 1st gear was made for a 4 cylinder to get a bunch of weight moving and to just barely get it into a usable range for 2nd gear, it is the furthest thing from getting a sports car moving quickly.

I get where you are coming at, the price point is good and they are newer, alright, but just for a second think about all the negatives and if you still want to go for it then go for it, but people should be aware of all the positives and negatives before making a decision. Not everyone has driven a 5 speed toyota truck, but if they are thinking this is a good idea they should and see how they like it, I have and I think its only good for a truck. Even some of the truck guys go r154 for the faster gearing when carrying heavy loads isn't a concern and going fast is, so I would keep a w58 over that.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-22-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 01:42 PM
supragt35
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its not always about price when you consider all the work that goes into swapping transmissions just to end up with a ****** 1st gear. You couldn't pay me to install a r155 in my car. its not a solution to the r154 unless its as good or better, what you are talking about is a worse but less expensive alternative, not a better replacement.

People have been bolting 7M's and 2JZ's to R150 transmissions for years, but the difference is they do it in a truck where the gearing makes sense. the r155 1st gear was made for a 4 cylinder to get a bunch of weight moving and to just barely get it into a usable range for 2nd gear, it is the furthest thing from getting a sports car moving quickly.

I get where you are coming at, the price point is good and they are newer, alright, but just for a second think about all the negatives and if you still want to go for it then go for it, but people should be aware of all the positives and negatives before making a decision. Not everyone has driven a 5 speed toyota truck, but if they are thinking this is a good idea they should and see how they like it, I have and I think its only good for a truck. Even some of the truck guys go r154 for the faster gearing when carrying heavy loads isn't a concern and going fast is, so I would keep a w58 over that.
Did you not see the $140 r154 first gear u can get at your local Toyota dealer I even provided the part number! you can swap when your in the trans or for people who don't want to swap the first gear you can always start from second gear so yes you make no sense because with even changing 1st gear and billet forks you still end up Paying less for a beat to hell r154 with 100k+ miles
Old 01-22-16, 03:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't think ordering a 1st gear and popping it in is that easy. start in second gear all the time.. are you being serious? that sounds like a bad solution to me.

no one wants a beat r154, I get your concerns, but at the end of the day the ar5 has the proper gearing and would be less work than tearing down a r155 and replacing gears and input shafts, and is worth the little extra in costs (its not like they are that expensive I can find them for 6-700 and its not an old beat trans).

you are assuming you can change the gears out also, which if you can, then I will give you that it could be an r154 replacement. I'll give you an example of why I dont think its that easy, early years r150 and later years 150 are so different internally once you start swapping stuff that you cannot swap 5th gears on both transmissions because the Ih8ud community tried it, and they are not interchangeable they are different in size.. this is on the same transmission but different years let alone a r154 and a r155 with 2 different codes, and I am pretty sure you said that the r155 had "thicker" gears, so i would think they would not be interchangeable.

also to remove the input shaft, your pics make it look easy but not everyone is comfortable doing that as most of the transmission has to be disassembled to do so.

quote from aaron
can you remove the input shaft by simply cracking open the transmission, removing the snap rings, and rotating the input shaft out from its situation with the counter gear? Basically, can I remove this part without taking the trans all the way apart?
quote from guy from Jacks transmissions:
Unfortunately, you have to take the trans nearly completely apart to remove the input shaft as 4th gear is part of that shaft and is sitting meshed with the counter cluster. The easiest way would be to remove the 5th gear assembly from the counter gear cluster and then move the counter gear cluster forward enough to slip the input shaft and 4th gear off. You will need some pullers to do this and of course all covers would have to be removed to gain access to those parts.
from here:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...aring-for-r154

I am going to stop posting in this thread and let you continue on with your r155 stuff.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-22-16 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 04:52 PM
supragt35
Rookie

I don't think ordering a 1st gear and popping it in is that easy. start in second gear all the time.. are you being serious? that sounds like a bad solution to me.

no one wants a beat r154, I get your concerns, but at the end of the day the ar5 has the proper gearing and would be less work than tearing down a r155 and replacing gears and input shafts, and is worth the little extra in costs (its not like they are that expensive I can find them for 6-700 and its not an old beat trans).

you are assuming you can change the gears out also, which if you can, then I will give you that it could be an r154 replacement. I'll give you an example of why I dont think its that easy, early years r150 and later years 150 are so different internally once you start swapping stuff that you cannot swap 5th gears on both transmissions because the Ih8ud community tried it, and they are not interchangeable they are different in size.. this is on the same transmission but different years let alone a r154 and a r155 with 2 different codes, and I am pretty sure you said that the r155 had "thicker" gears, so i would think they would not be interchangeable.

also to remove the input shaft, your pics make it look easy but not everyone is comfortable doing that as most of the transmission has to be disassembled to do so.

quote from aaron

from here:

I am going to stop posting in this thread and let you continue on with your r155 stuff.
OK example Ali I have a sc jz swap with a r154 already but you just broke the trans so Ali can you brake down the list of parts and pricing going to a ar5?
Old 01-22-16, 06:57 PM
supragt35
Rookie

quote from aaron

from here:

ask jeslet a member here who did the ar5 how much custom parts needed to do the ar5 trans in his sc just the custom drive shaft cost him $427 for it to work so Ali please post pricing and parts needed like I did and stop being a hater
Old 01-23-16, 01:43 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

ask jeslet a member here who did the ar5 how much custom parts needed to do the ar5 trans in his sc just the custom drive shaft cost him $427 for it to work so Ali please post pricing and parts needed like I did and stop being a hater
supragt, please let's keep this on the topic of what is actually required to make the R155 work in the SC. The general ballpark costs for swapping in a W58, R154 (all variants), V160, AR5, CD009 and a couple of others are already very available in the forum already. So far this is the only thread addressing the possibility of using this particular gearbox.

No one here is a "hater". We've all been bringing up valid concerns regarding the viability of this transmission. It's obviously not going to appeal to everyone but personally I still think it's worth a try IF everything bolts up. It does not appear to be an ideal alternative transmission compared to others that have already been established but it's an interesting possibility. I say go ahead with your plans. It might just work out with the right turbo setup and gearing.

Nonetheless, you're not being very rational or objective in a discussion about this. No one here is trying to hinder the progress of your project but everyone is free to have their own opinions about whether or not it's a route they themselves would want to take or not.

Live and let live and experiment.
Old 01-23-16, 09:24 AM
supragt35
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
supragt, please let's keep this on the topic of what is actually required to make the R155 work in the SC. The general ballpark costs for swapping in a W58, R154 (all variants), V160, AR5, CD009 and a couple of others are already very available in the forum already. So far this is the only thread addressing the possibility of using this particular gearbox.

No one here is a "hater". We've all been bringing up valid concerns regarding the viability of this transmission. It's obviously not going to appeal to everyone but personally I still think it's worth a try IF everything bolts up. It does not appear to be an ideal alternative transmission compared to others that have already been established but it's an interesting possibility. I say go ahead with your plans. It might just work out with the right turbo setup and gearing.

Nonetheless, you're not being very rational or objective in a discussion about this. No one here is trying to hinder the progress of your project but everyone is free to have their own opinions about whether or not it's a route they themselves would want to take or not.

Live and let live and experiment.
The gear ratio is no problem with going with a 3.26 rear plus guys running big turbo's don't even need first not unless they have a drag set up with 2step and flatfoot shifting then this trans ratio who'd even benefit them but am talking about guys here who are on a budget and are having problems with a r154 already so if your Sc with a r154 swap car already is going out or broke on you then all you who'd need is a $200 trans roughly saying and a input shaft for 170-180 and some redline mt90 and your finished!!! Now nobody even got close to even explaining Price's$$$ here that is my whole point YEA you guy's say cd trans$$$ but give us a price? And parts needed? Yea ar5 but gives us a price? And parts needed? And let's not get started with v160$$$$$$
Old 01-23-16, 09:42 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

am talking about guys here who are on a budget and are having problems with a r154 already so if your Sc with a r154 swap car already is going out or broke on you then all you who'd need is a $200 trans roughly saying and a input shaft for 170-180 and some redline mt90 and your finished!!!
Ok. Lets talk price.

Heres a "$200" used R155

ebay link removed

$1000+ That doesn't even include freight charges.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-24-16 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Just removed the link. Yes, it did have a $1,000 asking price.
Old 01-23-16, 10:03 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

And since we are on the topic of taking apart gearboxes and swapping gears I'll just leave this here.

http://www.driftmotion.com/product-p/dm3045.htm

Less than $750 turns your ****ty, tired old R154 into a truly upgraded gearbox.

Since I brought up the CD009 first here I'm guessing much of the ranting is aimed at me. As I explained before, MY biggest issue with my R154 is the rear seal. It's a fact of life I live with and can tolerate but given the opportunity, would gladly get rid of if possible. The R155 makes no promises towards fixing that issue, correct me if I'm wrong. It doesn't make sense to "upgrade" my R154 with a +$1000 dollar used gearbox when I already bought one not too long ago for less than that and it already had a proper 1st gear ratio. I am a CD009 fanboy. There I said it. Before joining the SC community, I was a fairly active 350Z guy that ran my CD009 very hard on the street, and ultimately as a trailer queen road course toy. It shifts like a dream compared to the R154. It has an extra cog in it. It easily handles over 1000rwhp in drag applications. It's also cheap. It's honestly IMO a BETTER gearbox in just about every way than even the mighty V160.

Given the option of dumping my R154? That's where my money will go for now. I don't see the R155 as being a better option for anyone that already as an R154.

Again, this is my opinion on the matter.
Old 01-23-16, 12:28 PM
supragt35
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Ok. Lets talk price.

Heres a "$200" used R155

ebay link removed.

$1000+ That doesn't even include freight charges.
You know what car-part.com is? Why who'd you use eBay if you can pick one up at a location near you

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-24-16 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Just removed the ebay link.

Quick Reply: r155 transmission a new solution to r154