Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Suspect my M/T ECU needs repair? (rough start and smoke condition) [MOSTLY SOLVED]

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 05:13 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
It's the same connector used on a lot of Toyota products, and not just IAC. I've seen it under part #22270-46080 and #11144, and the listings aren't always consistent which model it pertains to. If I remember right, the same connector is also used for EGR and TRAC.

My replacement one came off the parts car, so who knows how long it'll last before the tab breaks. I'll order one of these as a spare next time I have a few things I need from Drift Motion:

http://www.driftmotion.com/Idle-Spee...r-p/dm1681.htm

When I hear "drivers" in conjunction with computers, I think firmware. What does it mean in this context?
Driver in computer terms is software. In ECU terms it's hardware or a physical component. Driver is just the specific term of the component that goes bad in relation to the the injector "driving" within the ECU.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 12-11-15, 06:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Craig - NOT ALL SC300 IACV are same thus NOT ALL SC300 IACV are same with that of the SC400 . Thus NOT ALL SC300 IACV have same part number with the SC400 IACV !

It all depends on your 2jzGE throttle body , they are not all same since some have traction control.
You'll have to forgive gerrb, he gets very excited when he senses an opportunity to prove me wrong.

My comments were based on the picture Kahn posted in #33. My assumption was that he used one similar to his setup, otherwise what would be the point of that as an example?

Also, he's got a 5-spd, so assuming it wasn't a conversion, he wouldn't have TRAC.
Old 12-11-15, 07:12 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

lmaol ... somebody simply can't accept to be wrong. He gets offended and has to be very defensive , lmaol !!!

Dude , nobody is perfect ......you simply are so proud not to accept mistake , plain and simple. You have proven it time and again !

Craig needed to know so he doesn't make any mistake in getting the wrong IACV if ever he gets one so I have to remind him . And yet you took it as an offense against you .
Old 12-11-15, 07:17 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

And what you haven't figured out is, I see no point in arguing with you. No one wins in that game, so I just ignore the hostilities and move on. You seem to value the last word more than I do. But, you take that lack of a response as refusal to admit mistake, so it's still lose-lose.
Old 12-11-15, 07:25 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

my first rather second post on this thread was reminding my friend Craig and HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU !!! I wanted him to be aware of the existence of two differenct IACV for the SC300 so he doesn't make any mistake. Him buying the wrong one if he had to or me sending the wrong one which I offered for free will cause him money for which he should not go through that mistake if he was aware that there were different kinds . Your name or anything about you was ever written on that post .

BUT INSTEAD : You took my post as an offense / attack against you ! And you tell me that I get excited to prove you wrong ? It was you who judged me . I don't even need to talk to you that is why I don't quote your posts . When I see something wrong I speak up regardless who he is . Being a moderator on this forum, all the more it is my obligation to correct mis-informations I see or read if I know the truth .

Last edited by gerrb; 12-11-15 at 07:56 PM. Reason: meant second post
Old 12-11-15, 08:19 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Craig - if your throttle body is same as that of post #33 which t2d2 says prompted his comment and assumed that you have the same setup, THEN ALL THE MORE IT IS NOT THE SAME AS THAT OF THE SC400. The one on the picture has a different part number . It doesn't have the air intake tube that is incorporated with the SC400 IACV or other versions of SC300 IACV.
Old 12-12-15, 12:03 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Whoa! It got heated in here earlier.

Guys, I feel I may have caused some of this inadvertently because I simply haven't gotten down to inspecting that location on my own car yet since I've been so busy this last week.

The picture I put up is what I *assumed* was a Non-TRAC version of the Non-VVT SC300 intake (which could very well have from an automatic). It was put up to ask for confirmation that I was indeed looking at the right location for the IAC-V on my car because I did not know and haven't had to diagnose my 2JZ-GE IAC-V until now.

I should have put up my own pictures first from the get-go.

Indeed, t2d2, I have an original 1993 SC300 5-speed with California-spec emissions and not a conversion. TRAC was not an available option. Adding the M/T transmission and California emissions to the configuration probably complicates it more. However, my car did not come with the air injection system that only 1995+ California models had.

Craig - NOT ALL SC300 IACV are same thus NOT ALL SC300 IACV are same with that of the SC400 . Thus NOT ALL SC300 IACV have same part number with the SC400 IACV !

It all depends on your 2jzGE throttle body , they are not all same since some have traction control.
THANK YOU, gerrb! I wasn't going to assume anyway and would have double checked any part number and visual reference info I could if you were to send me one of your spare IAC-V's but this is very helpful. I kind of expected that the external configurations of the IAC-V's for the SC300 Non-VVT would be different from the ones found on SC400's just the same as the 2JZGTE aren't the same as well as, I would expect, any version for 1JZ-GTE's.

I absolutely would want to be sure I had the correct version should I need to replace it. A mistake would cost extra money and I've spent enough on these current issues already

What I do know now from looking up the part in Toyota's EPC system is that the one for my year and model should be: 22270-46050.

When I see something wrong I speak up regardless who he is . Being a moderator on this forum, all the more it is my obligation to correct mis-informations I see or read if I know the truth .
I completely agree. And I recall a couple of weeks ago I was trying to contribute to some thread that required some very specific information that I think I got wrong or misinterpreted in some way. I don't recall which thread it was. It wasn't intentional but would have thrown off the OP or others trying to diagnose their issue to plan their build in some way-- and you stepped in and called this out

I was embarrassed more than anything else I always want whatever info is most accurate regardless of the origin. Being a moderator definitely adds to that responsibility even more.

As all over the place as this particular thread has been from issue to issue, I hope it helps someone figure out what they see as similar issues with their own car faster than I have.

Hopefully. I mean, I've replaced almost everything remotely related to the original issues on page one at this point

Now that said, I wouldn't have known to even bother checking my IAC-V if you hadn't mentioned it, t2d2. And your cleaning guide I do hope applies to the version I have.

Still rather embarrassed I haven't tried yet but once I got my car back on the road last week it's just been a time crunch.

I plan to look at it tomorrow, finally.

Craig - if your throttle body is same as that of post #33 which t2d2 says prompted his comment and assumed that you have the same setup, THEN ALL THE MORE IT IS NOT THE SAME AS THAT OF THE SC400. The one on the picture has a different part number . It doesn't have the air intake tube that is incorporated with the SC400 IACV or other versions of SC300 IACV.
Again, thank you for being clear about this, gerrb. Tomorrow I will post my own pictures so that we can all be on the same page. Again, I feel like I should have done that in the first place. But I also wasn't sure where the IAC-V was located. Of all the things I've looked up on these cars that's one common component I just never got around to studying.

At a glance, my throttle body does look similar to the one in the example picture but I will clarify this tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by t2d2
It's the same connector used on a lot of Toyota products, and not just IAC. I've seen it under part #22270-46080 and #11144, and the listings aren't always consistent which model it pertains to. If I remember right, the same connector is also used for EGR and TRAC.

My replacement one came off the parts car, so who knows how long it'll last before the tab breaks. I'll order one of these as a spare next time I have a few things I need from Drift Motion:

http://www.driftmotion.com/Idle-Spee...r-p/dm1681.htm
Thanks for this, t2d2. I will double check everything first and make sure it's the same as the one on my car but if it's the same connector part after all I will snag one and some extra repair wires. Probably all I need are new gaskets and the plastic itself.

No idea if this is in any way related to my issues but for the time being I've got no issue repairing an old, broken connector.
Old 12-12-15, 05:06 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Craig - it is all good buddy ! You should know me by now . Pretty sure you have seen threads that only a few of us on this forum see..... where I said white is white , black is black or where I expressed my opposing views regardless of who is involved. Contradicting the views or opinions of other people doesn't mean attacking them . Only immature people or people whose ego they can't master, take it that way . There would never be heated discussions in forums if people learn how to eat that pride whenever someone say an opposing view to what they say especially if it is so obvious that they are wrong. One do not have to be very defensive when proven wrong . How hard it is to say "my bad" or "I am sorry I am wrong" ? I have seen a lot of people here say "My Bad .. am sorry" , ......... end of story .. .move on ! I tip my hat for them. They know how to accept mistakes and acknowledge it. Most of the times , you are discussing with people who you don't even have rapport with , personally know or have met .

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Guys, I feel I may have caused some of this inadvertently...

The picture I put up is what I *assumed* was a Non-TRAC version of the Non-VVT SC300

I should have put up my own pictures first from the get-go.

I have an original 1993 SC300 5-speed with California-spec emissions and not a conversion. TRAC was not an available option.
No you didn't cause the heated discussion .. no worries. The heated discussion was cause just because a post I made was taken by someone to be an attack on him when nothing was ever mentioned about him on that post and consequently made a judgement on me and making a sarcastic comment that I should be forgiven when in fact I believe it's the opposite , him I should forgive for judging and him spreading mis-information, lmaol . He himself said , his comments were based on the picture of post #33 ... the IACV in that picture is clearly not same as the IACV he has on his SC400. And even on his last post before this , it clearly shows he cannot accept a mistake. He said , " You seem to value the last word more than I do ." Sorry , I don't value the last word , I value the TRUTH so I will speak up if I have to regardless of who is involved in the discussion. I will fight for it and be stubborn about it till I am clearly proven wrong . I am not an immature guy who doesn't know how to say I am sorry am wrong. I don't find it hard to say "my bad " !

My post was merely an informative post to help you out and other people who am sure will read the thread and unfortunately it contradicted what this someone said about SC300 and SC400 IACV having same part numbers.

The picture you put up is INDEED the Non-Trac version of the Non-VVTi SC300 which if I am not mistaken (I apologize if I am ) is INDEED SAME as yours since your SC300 version didn't come with the TRAC version.

What I do know now from looking up the part in Toyota's EPC system is that the one for my year and model should be: 22270-46050.
Even if you haven't posted your own pictures .. I am pretty sure that particular model of yours which you just mentioned do not have the tube for the air intake which you find on SC400 IACVs or some SC300 IACVs.

At a glance, my throttle body does look similar to the one in the example picture but I will clarify this tomorrow morning.
Without any trac, the picture on post #33 of this thread which somebody said was the basis of his comments after all , should be similar to what you have.

The picture clearly shows NO Intake tube under the IACV and NO trac motor . SC400 IACVs has the intake tube on the IACV infact quite a few tube inlets, lol , for which that picture clearly shows none .

In a little while I will take pictures of 3 or 4 SC300 throttle bodies I have to show the differences.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-12-15 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-12-15, 06:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Here are pictures of three SC300 throttle bodies in different configurations. Even a non-trac SC300 may have an IACV with the air intake tube .

Name:  20151212_084020_zpsgjqpedgn.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  310.1 KB

Non trac but IACV has air intake tube

Name:  20151212_084123_zps5aaj0ppp.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  365.3 KB

With Trac and IACV has air intake tube

Name:  20151212_084118_zpsqph9qhm0.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  334.4 KB

Non trac and IACV has no air intake tube

Name:  20151212_084114_zpscumpaxaj.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  265.0 KB

Part number of SC300 IACV with air intake tube and how it looks like . It is totally different from that of an SC400. It also has a different part number as that of yours and do not look like that on post #33

Name:  20151212_091453_zpsqbbtf600.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  325.4 KB

SC400 IACV has a lot more tubes / intake or outlet piping

Name:  SC400Iacv1_zpsrfbqe0ti.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  SC400Iacv2_zps06mumrtd.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  SC400Iacv3_zpsxl7gbaon.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  134.7 KB

even if you take just the motor .. SC300 IACV motors are NOT ALL SAME with the SC400. In fact , I maybe wrong but , I believe NO SC300 IACV motor is even same with any SC400 IACV motor.

SC300 IACV motors ..two different ones

Name:  20151212_094230_zpsvllenboi.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  314.8 KB

SC400 IACV motor without the pipings / tubes. Even if you take out the piping / tube of that from the SC300 above , it is still different from that of the SC400 iacv motor . Look at the mounting screws .

Name:  SC400IACV4_zpszohq0nqf.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  177.8 KB

NONE OF THE SC300 IACV even has same number of intake / output tubes which the SC400 IACV has so how can they be of SAME PART NUMBER as someone had said ? You already mentioned the part number on yours and I have shown above a part number from another SC .. ergo .. not all SC300 have same IACVs.

The problem I have noticed on many car forums which at times I maybe guilty of and for which I apologize, is a lot of people to be able to comment or say something , jump into a thread ... REGURGITATE what his father , mother , brother , sister , uncle, aunt , neighbor, mechanic or other said and just be plain stubborn about it , trying to convince everyone that it is the truth .

The best comments are usually those that come from personal experiences not from wishful thinkers or dreamers who pretend to know what they are talking about or who regurgitate stuff that they have never experienced .

Craig - as I have discussed with you , I probably have every damn part of a 2jzGE , 1UZFE , 2jzGTE or any part from an SC300 / SC400 for that matter. If you need anything just to try things to resolve or find out what is causing your problems , I can lend you the part ...ship them to you then you ship them back ,, keep what you need if the part is not useful to me since I have all my SCs with the 2jzgte drive trains.... just take care of shipping costs .

Last edited by gerrb; 12-12-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-12-15, 11:40 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

BUT INSTEAD : You took my post as an offense / attack against you ! And you tell me that I get excited to prove you wrong ? It was you who judged me .
Given your last three posts, are you still sticking to that story?
Old 12-12-15, 11:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Craig - based on your PM to me , I don't think it an IACV problem. Your descriptions tells me you have a working IACV since once it is warm it idles properly .
Old 12-13-15, 01:25 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any updates?
Old 12-13-15, 04:39 PM
KahnBB6

A bit under the weather today so this will be a short post.

Gerrb -- Thank you for taking the time to show all the different SC300 and SC400 IAC-V's! It's very clear now which one I have. I did take a clear picture and indeed it's the same as the Non-TRAC, non-air tube version we've been discussing all along.

Thank you very much for your offer. As before I'm going to take things one step at a time. I'm still of the mind that the remaining issue has to do with either the ECU or distributor so I think you're right that the IAC-V probably isn't what I should be immediately concerned about. If it does turn out to be an issue and I need to diagnose with a spare one, however, I'll take you up on that. Thank you!

However I do think I'll look into replacing the harness connector that goes into it if I can since it is basically held in with tension right now after the locking tab and surrounding plastic has broken off.

BlackIRON -- No updates to report right now.

For the most part the car is running fine, other than the initial cold start misfire for a few seconds before the engine settles. Tomorrow the ECU gets shipped from Tanin and it won't be until the first of next month that I have the new distributor in hand.

For now, I've been doing fine after replacing the injectors, getting a full ignition tune up and topping off and burping a low coolant condition that doesn't have an immediately obvious leak other than two aging heater core and HCV hoses. I've most of those new and ready to install. I have one more and some new clamps to buy first. And there's a small water bypass hose that is in the same area (totally unrelated to any of this) that I will order and replace too since it feels pretty worn at this point.

Considering where I was at a month ago with these issues, the car is mostly cured. I am certain it was more than one issue that needed fixing and at least one of those exacerbated at least one of the others. Or maybe they were all mostly independent and hit at the same time. At 238K miles such things can happen too

But I'm still in holding pattern as far as calling everything totally solved.

Given all that has been done to date: ECU first. Then distributor. Last resort, IAC-V.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-13-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 05:37 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
The ECU is in queue for repair. It will ship out Monday. We were waiting on components because going forward we are replacing all drivers in the ECU's that come in for repair. See the quoted reply above. You are the first to receive this new service at the same low price.
ECU is done and ships 12/14. Jason, the owner, personally rebuilt it. There were a handful of leaking capacitors. All replaced in addition to the other components mentioned earlier. You should notice a difference once installed.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 12-13-15, 05:38 PM
KahnBB6

Thank you Tanin and Jason!!

Quick Reply: Suspect my M/T ECU needs repair? (rough start and smoke condition) [MOSTLY SOLVED]