Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Suspect my M/T ECU needs repair? (rough start and smoke condition) [MOSTLY SOLVED]

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 05:53 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Tanin, I sent you a PM as well. Thank you all over there!! Very glad I had you folks look at it now rather than later. I'll be doing the same with two other ECUs in the new year.

Thanks Again!
Old 12-14-15, 03:09 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Tanin, I sent you a PM as well. Thank you all over there!! Very glad I had you folks look at it now rather than later. I'll be doing the same with two other ECUs in the new year.

Thanks Again!
Sounds great! Just hit us up when you need the ECU repair done on the other two!

Happy Holidays!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 12-15-15, 12:36 AM
KahnBB6

Yes, in the new year. Thanks everyone at Tanin and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-18-15, 01:05 AM
KahnBB6

It's time to just about call it-- FedEx Overnight gloriously lost my original ECU. Instead of delivering to my California address on the 15th, they delivered to a random house in *TOPEKA, KANSAS* and have done little more than send drivers there during normal working hours to try to retrieve it.

No number at that residence to call. No mis-delivered package left on the doorstep for the FedEx driver to pick up after numerous notices were left on the door. And no good samaritan has come forward to call Fedex to inform them that they have an erroneously delivered package. I don't even have the full address myself.

The search isn't quite over yet but I am going to start putting ads out to look for another #89661-24321 or #89661-24322 ECU. Which I definitely need in about five months' time once I have to get my car smogged to register it again because the CEL with the '95 Cali M/T ECU would result in an immediate test fail and the effective bricking of my car in the legal sense.

I can't say I am a fan of FedEx right now. I certainly won't use their Overnight Service for anything including sensitive work materials or expensive equipment after this.
Old 12-18-15, 03:59 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Craig - sorry to hear about the loss. I have learnt my lesson the hard way too. All these shipping companies have lost at least one of my packages in the past . Fedex , 2 months ago lost one . They said left it in front of the door of a good friend of mine who lives in a very safe neighborhood.... never to be found. Never even reimbursed me saying it was delivered based on records. Before you know it it was pocketed by the substitute driver for that day and marked it delivered.

I guess the secret is always send things with Adult Signature Delivery . In spite of it, I still use Fedex because between UPS, USPS , even DHL when they still had local service , Fedex is always the cheapest domestically with adult signature using your online account with them. The only thing that can be cheaper is USPS flat rate if you got a very heavy package to ship. Just get a signature confirmation.

Was that the one done by Tanin ?
Old 12-18-15, 11:23 AM
KahnBB6

Gerry,

Yes, it was the car's original computer that Tanin had just finished rebuilding for me. The 1995 ECU is still in the car for now but it's throwing a CEL since it's too new for the chassis.

That's an awful story. And unsettlingly recent. I hope it also wasn't something rare and very hard to replace that you lost. The "good friend of yours"... yes... I'm SURE he was-- Edit: just read your post below. I did not realize you were being serious about that part Fedex has until this morning's call given me the same "delivery based on our address on record" story.

I'm not sure how this happened and neither does Tanin. They've never heard of this address before. All I can guess is that FedEx's system corrupted the label data in their computer (not on the box) and halfway to California it just got dumped somewhere. They at first kept repeating "shipper error" so many times when I first contacted them that I was about to lose it if I heard it once more. Strangely the phrase was never uttered again after enough calls and from what Tanin has told me, Fedex usually only sends drivers out as many times as they have to retrieve a package if they are aware it was an issue on their end. They just won't admit it to me plainly.

Is there actually a difference between requesting "Signature Upon Delivery" and "Adult Signature Upon Delivery"? As in, a child isn't allowed to sign for any package?

I have liked Fedex's rates as well but mostly I've used them because I considered them more careful than UPS and more reliable than DHL.

Anyway, both Tanin and I have the mis-delivery address now. They are contacting the Topeka police department to file a report. We'd both like to recover the original but they're doing their best to try to locate another one of these for me through their contacts.

Lesson here definitely is to avoid Express Overnight services. And, yes, to insist on an adult signature upon delivery.

On a brighter note (no pun intended), the rainy weather down south is really beautiful right now.

Edit: I want to add that the folks at Tanin have been really great through all of this. They've been going above and beyond in their efforts to help me either get the ECU back (if that's even possible at this point) and to search for another one... which is also a tall order.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-18-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-18-15, 11:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Well , it is actually Peter (Letsride here and on SF) , a Moderator on both forums. He didn't get the damn 10lbs Nitrous Bottle I sent him. At that particular day , it was not his regular Fedex guy who delivered the item but a substitute for the day. He knew the regular guy who ply his route. The sad thing, damn Fedex insisted that the systems says delivered so they didn't want to reimburse me for the loss. So if the substitute guy marked into the system as delivered and kept the package then sender or recipient is screwed because the guys in the office will rely on what is written on the system.. delivered.

Direct Signature is anybody on the address ... Adult Signature should be 21 and above and Indirect is anybody like a neighbor. That is how I believe Fedex signature system works.

I love our Georgia Weather ... been to at least 40 States both in Summer and Winter ... and nothing beats our weather in my opinion .
Old 12-18-15, 11:46 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Oh, sorry! I didn't realize you were being completely serious when you mentioned you were told that "a friend" received it. I've seen Letsride around before in the last couple of years but I haven't talked to him often. I'm sorry you were both screwed by Fedex over that. It seems awfully convenient for them to be able to wiggle out of responsibility when one of their drivers is unscrupulous.

You've made me wonder if that might also have been what possibly happened to my box: the driver... or perhaps someone even in the distribution system got curious and took it out of the delivery stream early to keep it for themselves and just marked it as delivered to an erroneous address. Scary thought. I feel more inclined to believe it comes down to a major screw up and a less than honest person living at the delivery address though.

I will keep the signature request info in mind for the future, thank you.

I like Georgia weather. Less humid than Florida, usually, isn't it? I like our rain here and miss that in Southern California. But you also get some beautiful snow in the fall.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-18-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 02:21 PM
KahnBB6

I've expended my ECU search a little:

In addition to scouring for another 89661-24321 or the Toyota Reman version 89661-24322 I am also thinking I MIGHT be able to use a 1993.5-1995 Supra NA 5-speed California-spec ECU 89661-14570. But I am not sure if it is the same emissions type as my Lexus ECU was.

No idea if 1993-1995 Supra NA 5-speeds did or did not get air-assisted injectors or heated O2 sensors. If they didn't... and I can be sure of that... then perhaps it's the same electronics with the Toyota logo and a different P/N.

But so far I can't bet certain. I think the Supra NA's from 1993 at least used the same Federal injectors my car uses. But this is confusing because 1995 SC300 Cali-spec ECU's are indeed different but Toyota lists this version Supra NA ECU through 1995. Or at least mid-1995 models.
Old 12-20-15, 07:35 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was really hoping to see how this went since I'm hovering over the ECU capacitor service order. I don't know if my issues are ECU related but what you've described was similar so I was really hoping to see how this turned out, what a terrible ending.
Old 12-21-15, 12:07 AM
KahnBB6

ISFFUN,

It's not over yet. Fedex unapologetically losing my ECU has been very stressful-- it's now made my #1 priority how I can get another one to pass smog in May so I can keep the car registered. It's a shame the '95 M/T CA-Spec ECU won't do that for me. I will resell that down the road once I have all of this fully squared away.

I can tell you that most of the idling issues were solved by installing the remanufactured injectors and burping the cooling system due to a slightly leaking heater core hose. I've got the replacement for that on order.

I also still have the new distributor coming in from Japan and I will be installing that. When I can find a replacement '93 ECU I will send that in to Tanin just as before.

Hope your own issues aren't too crippling right now. What I would recommend still is to find another ECU that will allow your car to run, package it carefully and send it to Tanin at least with Priority USPS and adequate insurance... or maybe regular Fedex. Sending to them worked fine for me. For the return though, I would just avoid ANY Express Overnight service from Fedex or USPS (Tanin themselves especially doesn't like to use USPS Overnight) and have it sent back through a more common Fedex or other shipping method they offer. I don't like UPS and I think they mentioned they don't either.

And I like Gerrb's suggestion to always use "adult signature upon delivery".

Whatever happened in my case, no matter how upset I am about it, it apparently is a rare occurrence. However, it's more likely to affect those of us with California addresses for whatever reason when we use the Fedex Overnight service.

Getting your ECU looked at and repaired is a lot cheaper than getting injectors, a full tuneup done and replacing a distributor.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-21-15 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 04:19 PM
KahnBB6

A positive update to this:

I found an ECU. With zero replies to my WTB ads on CL and SF and Tanin closing down for the holidays I bit the bullet and gave Lexus a try. I'd already found out that Toyota discontinued availability of the 93-95 Supra NA 5-speed Cali-spec ECU (which I figured might be the same internally). Lo and behold... Lexus had exactly ONE 89661-24322(-84) ECU left in national inventory. Same thing as the original 89661-24321, just factory remanufactured. The cost, even discounted, was insane but I have a the correct computer again.

While I'm now considerably lighter in my wallet I'm also very relieved.

Fedex still hasn't produced my missing ECU. I've informed Tanin and we'll move forward on an insurance claim with them for all we can get.

All in all, this has been an unnecessarily crazy episode thanks to Fedex but I'll be back on track soon!

Also, my replacement 191004-46011 distributor came in from Japan. Curiously though, even though it's the same part number for US model 1992-1997 2JZ-GE's it clearly says "1JZ-GE" under the factory part number embossed just above the main shaft

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-27-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 09:31 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow, that's commitment. Glad you got it sorted out, even if it cost you a pretty penny to do so.

Does the new ECU have a mnf'd date? If it's been on the shelf for 20+ years, it may also need capacitor inspection, which I'd think you could make a good case with Lexus for them covering since it's new and should be in new condition. The capacitors are supposedly rated for around 14 years. Maybe Tanin can weigh in on that.
Old 12-27-15, 11:11 PM
KahnBB6

t2d2, the ONLY reason I was willing to buy it is California smog. There's no way it makes sense under any other circumstances. It doesn't make sense anyway since the '95 Cali M/T ECU in the car now does exactly the same functions, just with a CEL because it wants to see air-assisted fuel injectors. It's also far cheaper than buying another inexpensive used car that might still have issues of its own if the SC couldn't be smogged in time. A very rock and hard place decision moment I made since I had no other guarantees.

Frankly I'm surprised Lexus still had an ECU for sale at all.

I didn't see a mfd date on the ECU but I will look again. It is very, very, very clean. I would think it should be in good condition internally. I'd hope so for the cost. If it does need new capacitors as a safety measure just like the other ECUs it's not getting them until it helps me pass smog in May of this coming year. After that, I'll consider sending it in if it's necessary.

I would definitely like to hear Tanin's thoughts as to your point, however.

For now I'm not entrusting the computer to any mailing services until accomplishes the job it was bought for.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-27-15 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-28-15, 07:52 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Wow, that's commitment. Glad you got it sorted out, even if it cost you a pretty penny to do so.

Does the new ECU have a mnf'd date? If it's been on the shelf for 20+ years, it may also need capacitor inspection, which I'd think you could make a good case with Lexus for them covering since it's new and should be in new condition. The capacitors are supposedly rated for around 14 years. Maybe Tanin can weigh in on that.
If it is already remanufactured, nothing will be needed to be done to the ecu for 10-15 years.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Quick Reply: Suspect my M/T ECU needs repair? (rough start and smoke condition) [MOSTLY SOLVED]