Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD options?

Old 11-14-15, 06:49 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LSD options?

I've scoured the web and the info is scattered and seems somewhat inconclusive. What are our options for installing an LSD in our cars? Either OEM options or aftermarket? Looking for bang for the buck, mostly.
Old 11-14-15, 09:11 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Supra MKIV TT Auto (the whole pumpkin fits). It's rare and expensive when you do find it.

There's also the TRD LSD. Also rare and expensive to find.

Then there's the Kaaz and Tomei units. They are the LSDs themselves and you transplant them into an existing pumpkin. Usually they need some shims and whatnot, but there are shops out there that do this. (Or you can do it yourself, but it's painstaking as you need a micrometer and a lot of measurements are involved).

I have a Tomei unit inside of a pumpkin that I never got around to installing. It's actually right behind me as I type this. My friend's shop technician said the pumpkin "wasn't long enough"- which sounds like BS considering it was specifically pulled out of an SC300, and they're all the same size. This is actually a mystery I will need to solve soon.
Old 11-14-15, 04:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

There is also the OS Giken Super Lock LSD. Even more expensive than the other options. It's the only other 1.5-way LSD besides the gear-type Torsen T-1 from the Supra TT Auto (or the JDM only Torsen T-2 from the Soarer). They sell that in the 200mm size (ours) as well as the 220mm size (Supra 6-speed diff only). That one is intended for road racing cars.

^^ That's a weird thing for him to say. He might have been referring to the axles because there are some differences between certain years of the MKIV and SC. But this is a very rare thing to encounter and is rectified with different axles.

Not sure what the shop technician was referring to specifically. All SC300/400/GS/MKIV 200mm diffs are the same internally. All of them require pretty much the same painstaking diff installation and shimming procedure to set up properly. Externally they're all the same length (to the driveshaft) and the same casing width. As mentioned, in very very rare instances it's only the axles matched to diffs that have had very minor variations for some model years of the SC/GS/MKIV. Still a rare thing to encounter and always able to be rectified.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-15-15 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-15-15, 08:43 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you keep the stock gears you can avoid a reshim.

Both my 4.08 and 3.26 diffs were drop in with my Kaaz LSD. Just don't touch the pinion shaft or seal.
Old 11-17-15, 10:42 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how clunky is the kaaz? do you have a 1.5way or 2way?

i am starting to give up on finding a non clutch and might just go with a clutch type..

Marko
Old 11-17-15, 12:24 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

I have the quiet version and its literally silent.

It's a 2-way.

The only time I know it's functioning is on slow turns when I'm accelerating out. The diff likes to lock up quite aggressively.
Old 11-18-15, 10:35 AM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im running a TRD 2 way lsd and love it, my friend has the tomei 2 way and it loud but works great. there isn't many TRD LSD's left. im about to pick up another one for my gte swapped mkiv.
Old 11-18-15, 05:21 PM
minus500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend the Kaaz or Tomei for the price. The finish on them is nice, and as far as the Kaaz, you can get rebuild kits for them pretty easily. Ray out at Kaaz is always reachable via phone, which I like.
Old 11-18-15, 05:23 PM
minus500
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone else wish that someone would make a clutch pack Torsen unit? This would be the best of both worlds. The Torsens only downfall is if torque disappears(a wheel off the ground). A spring loaded clutch pack would take care of this. I believe the early Mustang Cobra R got a Torsen T2-R which is just that.
Old 11-18-15, 08:33 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by minus500
Does anyone else wish that someone would make a clutch pack Torsen unit? This would be the best of both worlds. The Torsens only downfall is if torque disappears(a wheel off the ground). A spring loaded clutch pack would take care of this. I believe the early Mustang Cobra R got a Torsen T2-R which is just that.
Clutch pack Torsen? I haven't heard of this.

Do you mean like a Wavetrac? It solves the open-diff side effect of a helical but I don't know if the motorsport world has really embraced the idea since lifting your wheel off the ground is generally not a great idea (except for autox)

Helicals have proven themselves in numerous platforms and all sorts of racing. It comes down to preference in the motorsport world. Clutch based diffs tend to engage more aggressively and distribute power evenly between both wheels so high power roadracers tend to like them. I have one in the SC300 since the S366 tends to build boost fairly violently and keeping the car straight is a priority when boost hits.
My 350Z track toy has a Quaife helical diff similar to a Torsen. I can get on the throttle mid corner much earlier than a clutch based diff since it favors the wheel that's on the outside of the corner.
I also co-drive a Mustang Cobra that used to have a factory clutch-based diff. It worked fine. However, its corner exit speeds are significantly higher now that we have a helical TrueTrac in it.

If you are referring to the 2000 Mustang Cobra R, it has a diff that is more comparable to a viscous limited slip similar to what 350Zs came with.
Old 11-18-15, 11:32 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Why are the Toyota LSDs so expensive? I 3 wheel all the time and want to get either an OS Giken, Tomei, or Cusco.
Old 11-19-15, 01:19 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ Toyota does happen to own the company that makes Torsen LSD's. It's just odd that they don't put them in many of their cars given that.

This is a recent SF thread on this subject:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...26-LSD-options

Apparently the TRD 2-way LSD has been discontinued. I assume this includes both 6-speed and the common 200mm sizes.

They love the OS Giken there. I haven't heard as much about Tomei or Cusco's offerings but both are good companies.
Old 11-19-15, 08:16 AM
minus500
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Clutch pack Torsen? I haven't heard of this.

Do you mean like a Wavetrac? It solves the open-diff side effect of a helical but I don't know if the motorsport world has really embraced the idea since lifting your wheel off the ground is generally not a great idea (except for autox)

Helicals have proven themselves in numerous platforms and all sorts of racing. It comes down to preference in the motorsport world. Clutch based diffs tend to engage more aggressively and distribute power evenly between both wheels so high power roadracers tend to like them. I have one in the SC300 since the S366 tends to build boost fairly violently and keeping the car straight is a priority when boost hits.
My 350Z track toy has a Quaife helical diff similar to a Torsen. I can get on the throttle mid corner much earlier than a clutch based diff since it favors the wheel that's on the outside of the corner.
I also co-drive a Mustang Cobra that used to have a factory clutch-based diff. It worked fine. However, its corner exit speeds are significantly higher now that we have a helical TrueTrac in it.

If you are referring to the 2000 Mustang Cobra R, it has a diff that is more comparable to a viscous limited slip similar to what 350Zs came with.
http://torsen.info/products/T-2R.htm

I may be mistaken about the Cobra R but this is the Torsen I'm referring to. I'm not sure what a WaveTrac is but this may be what you were referring to.

I do agree that lifting a wheel isn't ideal but it seems to happen frequently enough. One thing I really like about Torsens over clutches diffs are that there is nothing to wear out. Clutches will need replaced at some point while Torsen gears can go the lifetime of a vehicle. Torsens rarely break and when they do, it's usually do to a violent launch or wheel hop.
Old 11-19-15, 12:13 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's the Tomei 2-way inside of the SC3 pumpkin. Supposedly it's quite chattery but works well.

Not to hijack the thread, but is it normal for the roller bearings to be somewhat exposed at the stubs?

Old 11-20-15, 05:33 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

TRD or OS Giken is the way to go.......SARD also makes one that is pretty much the same as the OS giken

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LSD options?