Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SP57 Install

Old 04-15-03, 08:37 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call S&L Metal in W. Babylon, 631-491-4313, ask for Kevin, tell him Jon with the Lexus sent you, polishing, anodizing, powdercoating, dipping, plating, he can also handle all your wheel repairs and polishing/coating. Like gadget i've done it myself but depending on the texture of the metal you start with, it can be a ******, the GE intake happens to be pretty 'grainy' and requires alot of material to be taken off, and the t-body just has alot of nooks and crannies that are a pain to get to properly even on a workbench, but gadg is doing it exactly how I would, attention to every detail, then you're truly ready for battle, n' a little blingblingety never killed anyone, right?

- JonJon
Old 04-15-03, 08:46 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, im looking for a 4" intake pipe and filter for my single setup...you know any place to get one? I really like this one from ********* but he wants $230 for it...its just a pipe!!

Old 04-15-03, 08:51 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I have a guy for that too, but i'll have to take you down there, he's always too busy to answer the phone, but no prob for him to fab that for you..
Old 04-15-03, 08:56 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Lex is the place close? Because I would have to assume I need to drive my car down there in order for him to fab something up for me and I don't like driving without an intake filter. Thanks for the help dude.

*edit* someone just emailed me showing me a neat way to get a 4" intake pipe for less than $50. It comes chromed already too.

gadgetSC, sorry for going off topic on your post...if you'd like i can start another thread...again sorry.

Last edited by TRDSupraSE; 04-15-03 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 09:40 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Gadget, thanks for vpc shot. I take it you have more than 1 laying around? You want to get rid of one? Also, If you don't mind sharing how you polished those items. I'd like to polish a couple spares.
Old 04-21-03, 07:36 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lil update

another update...

I have been quite busy, got the car running a week ago. It turned over and ran really rough for a minute...OK, at least it did start. It took me the week to work out some bugs. The first problem was no O2 sensor input. I tried to run just the FJO in the one sensor bung, that didnt work because the lack of a sensor signal makes the ECU think that its has a lean condition so it adds fuel. So I swapp out the fjo for a stock sensor...It ran a little better but still rough and smokey.
After checking all connections a few dozen times....I start to suspect my VPC?????I had no control over any of the adjustments. Checking the output voltage of the VPC gave me .82 VDC. The cars ECU requires a 3 -5 volt signal as a ref for startup.
I pop in a LS400 MAF as a plan B. Checked the voltage to te ECU, Got 5 volts. Start the car and.....LEXUS Smooth...no smoke...no fluid leaks .
Back to the VPC....I connect the second VPC with a 13B chip in it.....Check the voltage...I get 4volts....start the car and it runs a little rougher than with the MAF, but it does run. So I need a new VPC chip, will work on that monday.
So, I reinstall the LS400maf...doesnt really fit well but its temporary. Got it off the ramps and outside to put the bumper on.
Saturday afternoon I took a little test drive.
I would really like to thank Jon (LexLuther) for sparing a little time and braving a test drive. The moral support was great!.
We drove around the hood a little before taking it out on a main road......Got out on the main road and gave it alittle gas and I backoff and then smoke and sputtering (oh crap!) Jon says, musta popped a hose. Sure enough that rigged maf popped right off....put it back on and starts right up. We head back home. That was the big ride.
Didnt really get a boost reading because of a loose hose. I also noticed some oil around the oil cap. I checked the oil and it smelled like gas.....a few days of running super rich. I alos forgot to mention tha I did pull the plugs to clean them on friday because they were fould from a week of troubleshooting.

Sunday: an oil/filter change, check and tighten all hoses. Hook up the SAFC(no clue as to the settings without the vpc) I finish installing the wheel well covers and one undercover and I take her out again.
I pulled out 10% fuel with the safc. This time....I get to around 2200-2500 rpm and hear the turbo start to spool....around 3k I start to feel some pull .....boost guage starts climbing to around 5-6psi ...Good enough cause I'm still blowing more smoke than I want. So back home till I get the VPC setup right.

So there is my update.

AJ - The second vpc is spoken for right now. If he should choose not to go that route, I will pm you. I will also post a pic of my polish kit for you later.

I will post more pics later.

Thanks again Jon

gadgetSC-t
Attached Thumbnails SP57 Install-sp57002.jpg  
Old 04-21-03, 05:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Default Re: lil update

Originally posted by gadgetSC

Thanks again Jon

Man it was my pleasure. Let me tell you all that gadget's attention to detail is top-notch, and this bird will be a screamer once the fuel is all sorted out, which will be shortly. gadget's whip is very quick to spool, and at only a few pounds of boost was day and night from stock. Sorry I didn't get to really help with the tech, but I plan to come thru soon and help out with anything remaining. I'll talk to John about dynoing soon, should pull a strong #. I'm more motivated than ever to complete my project now. On a different note, gadg have you seen the new Infiniti M45? JDM Gloria platform with the 340hp Q45 motor. Drove one today, and when I say drove I mean repeated runs well into triple digits and back....great car, the enemy is improving....
Old 04-21-03, 07:29 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

gadget....your engine looks absolutely beautiful!!

where did you get the silicone connectors and T-bolt clamps from? I need a couple for mine as well
Old 04-21-03, 09:19 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Gadget,
Do you know why the smoke? Shouldn't have any visible smoke if everything is o.k. even if its running pig rich. Good luck on the project and be careful.
Old 04-21-03, 09:23 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I agree! Very clean install. Let me know the name of that polish kit. Congrats. I love the transition to boost. Wait until you're hitting 15 and 20 psi. It's a blast!
Old 04-21-03, 09:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Scott, pig rich would be accurate, not a idle or light part throttle situations, but a little heavier into the throttle, when boost starts building and the fuel enrichment opens up, it's as if the injectors just dump open 100% duty cycle and mega pulse width. Definitely fuel, nice and dark and stinky, not light like coolant or anything. Understand that untuned would be a mild way to describe, gadget's whip is set up for the VPC, but the chip Larry sent was apparently not a 550, no big deal, I think I was more stressed over it than gadg was. Anyway he put in an LS400 MAF (which as you know is not calibrated for 550's) just to get it going and there wasn't time to adjust the AFC to compensate for the MAF and bigger squirters, so it was just a drive to check for any pops bangs and snaps (none of course), the vacuum lines weren't even zip-tied yet, but everything is smooth and all that is needed now is some tuning. Rest assured it will be a rocket...
awj, the name of his polish kit is called 'Mr. gadget's blisters, blood, and sweat', takes hours and hours, don't get the stuff in your mouth, tastes awfull ....
Old 04-21-03, 11:39 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Hmm, google doesn't recognize Mr. Gadget's blood sweat and tears. But this came up. Not bad. I'll try to keep my mouth shut. It's hard sometimes.

U too can polish aluminum
Old 04-27-03, 04:25 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

gadget...any updates on your ride? Today was a beautiful day out...you must have taken it out for a ride
Old 05-01-03, 09:31 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

here's a long delayed update.....

I really havent made much progress lately.....had to catch-up with everything that I have blown-off since I started this project.
What I have done after a few short runs at 6psi was to remove and clean the plugs. they were quite dirty from a week of running rich while trying to troubleshoot the VPC. I also located and fixed a small oil leak on the return side of the turbo, had to remove it to get everything tight. I also checked and refit my IC piping so that my STB would fit.
Right now the car has been back-up on ramps with the dp removed. I hope to get the second O2 sensor bung welded on today or tomorrow. If it works out, I will take the car out this weekend to try some street tuning with the wideband.
more pics on the way too.

gadgetSC-t
Old 05-02-03, 05:39 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Build your own polish kit. AJ...you can find most or all of this stuff at Home Depot or Sears Hardware.
Attached Thumbnails SP57 Install-polishkit.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SP57 Install