Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1995 SC 400 Both Doors IN-OP Help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 08:23 AM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 SC 400 Both Doors IN-OP Help...

Both handles for doors do not work. The little plastic piece has failed. I have new ones but can not get the door open to get to the panel on the doors so I can take them off.. Inside handle on both doors seems jammed as well.

Lexus told me to take off rubber boot at the top of the door where it meets the window. I did that and can see down inside the door a little. I see a rod with an open end to it that seems jammed under the window. The window only goes down about 3/4 of the way.

Not sure where that rod goes to. It doesn't look like the one that went to the door handle. I don't know. It's killing me to have both doors broke and can't get in

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Scott
Old 10-15-15, 08:46 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh man this has been seen a couple times, there should have been a recall on that little clip. My only advice is if you can get to the lines that go to the inside handle you'll want to yank on the LOWER line that connects to the inside handle. It wont be easy to pull on on top of not having much room if the door panel is still connected. If the window is down a bit try and take out the single Phillips screw that holds the interior handle and maybe pry a bit away from the door and see if you can grab it from there? Good luck man..
Old 10-19-15, 07:57 PM
Bouncer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK. I found a way in the doors

Well I have to say I have figured it out. I had to pry the window seal on the outside door up and take that out completely so I could see down into the door. I could see the little rod that has slipped off the inside door handle. It was all crossed up underneath the window.

The mechanism that allows you to unlock the door is attached to that rod which you have to have a straight rod to push straight down on top of where that rod meets this little enclosed section that is open on the top so you can push down on it. That's how you can unlock the door latch to get in.

What a night mire for a while. Once the door is open, you take off the door panel ,the plastic with the black sticky stuff on it I found it easier to take off the inside door trim which is held on with small plastic clips.

Be careful pulling straight out away from the door. They snap out pretty easy. You also need to take of the inside window felt which is slid onto the door with these brass looking clips. Just pry under them with a big screw driver and they will slide up which allows you to take it up and out.

Now you can see down from the top real well to put that cheap ****ty little clip on which really needs bigger flanges on it so it will stay in better. Use a lead light and stick it on the inside of the door facing up and you will be able see just fine.

It takes a couple seconds to put the clip on the rod. Do that first, then push it through the hole that is in the back side of the door handle. You will see it. It's self explanatory when you see it.

Thanks for the reply's but there is only one way in the car if both doors handles are not working and you can not get in the car. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...ilies/woot.gif