Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing Power Steering Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 10:41 AM
TexRud
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changing Power Steering Fluids

Sc300 95 has dark power steering fluids and starting the groaning sound.
It started a grinding noise after few test realized the tensioner pulley was making the noise.

I changed the tensioner and the drive belt, bought the parts from myLexusparts, was a little concern cause the tensioner wasn't exactly the same ( their middle plate is made of plastic where as the original part was made of metal or alum. But Thats a different story.) Maybe aftermarket pulleys. I thought I was buying OEM identical parts.

I am planning to remove the intake hose coming into the ps reservoir and let it drain into a container but before I do that I'm first pumping/sunctioning out the fluids then while pouring new ps ATF fluids into the reservoir and turning the tires to lock left to right without turning the engine on to be safe.
Until I see new clean fluids coming out of the intake hose.

Has anyone see or had any problems doing that. Or is it a bad way to flush the power steering.

TexRud
Old 09-29-15, 12:21 PM
TexRud
Driver School Candidate

Mods . . did I place this in wrong place I think I was trying to write in /place in performance & maintenance.

Thank You
Old 09-30-15, 01:30 PM
TexRud
Driver School Candidate

Does any one have any input or done a flush on SC powering steering recently.

So I stopped at the Lexus dealer to buy Dexron II ATF since the reservoir cap is labeled with the requirement.

The parts dept. tells why am I am filling it with ATF since they use power steering fluids and not ATF. SO he researches and can't find any specs on 95 Sc300, I mentioned my manual says ATF plus the cap also specs Dexron II ATF.

So now I am concern or wondering before I flush or drain the old stuff and fill it with the ATF.

(Have researched here & found some "Old threads" that mention ATF.)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-15, 11:01 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You can remove the hose from the reservoir and drain. Just Jack up the front of the car when you are turning the wheel left and right. Not sure how dirty your fluids are but you might be using a lot of fluids to completely clean the power steering system.
Old 09-30-15, 11:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Everything I've read (and done without ill effect) says to use ATF.

I don't know about the SC3, but on the SC4, good luck pulling a hose off the PS reservoir for draining without: a) scissors and a razor blade, and b) a spare hose on hand... The two I've worked on, the PS hoses were beyond rock hard. I would recommend a turkey baster to empty the reservoir, or perhaps opening the system up at the R&P to drain from the lowest point. (Pretty sure that's possible.)
Old 10-01-15, 12:29 PM
TexRud
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Guys - Great advice

Originally Posted by k7q
You can remove the hose from the reservoir and drain. Just Jack up the front of the car when you are turning the wheel left and right. Not sure how dirty your fluids are but you might be using a lot of fluids to completely clean the power steering system.
Originally Posted by t2d2
Everything I've read (and done without ill effect) says to use ATF.

I don't know about the SC3, but on the SC4, good luck pulling a hose off the PS reservoir for draining without: a) scissors and a razor blade, and b) a spare hose on hand... The two I've worked on, the PS hoses were beyond rock hard. I would recommend a turkey baster to empty the reservoir, or perhaps opening the system up at the R&P to drain from the lowest point. (Pretty sure that's possible.)
Thanks k7q: I bought 4quarts from local Lexus dealer just in case as of now thinking thats enough.
also following your suggestion to jack up the front plus might help drain more.

T2D2: I did buy a turkey baster & also a oil pump extractor for 20 bucks. Your advice is also great on getting a backup hose just in case. On SC300 the hose is on the right(facing the front of engine), the 400 is on the left of the reservoir.

Again thank you both for the help, this is my first time to tackle the powering steering without a mechanic.
Will post the results when finishing the maintenance.