Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I think my diff may be bad.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 08:14 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs down I think my diff may be bad.....

I hear a "cloink" sound when the driveline is torqued. It has gotten worse. I think the diff is bad.

It has about an inch of play and whines at around 40mph (unless the tranny is bad too).

Old 09-29-15, 09:10 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

It could be coincidental, but that's what I was hinting at in the 'pulls left' thread that turned out to be the rear LCA ... seemed to me there had to be something else contributing to the symptoms. Hopefully, it ends up just being a bushing or something low-$$$.
Old 09-29-15, 09:19 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

T - it is a ring and pinion setting ... the play is too much . Take out diff and ask someone to check backlash and contact pattern to see what is wrong. You will break the ring gear teeths eventually with a sudden acceleration.

EDIT : First take out the driveshaft and see if the play is caused by the differential or transmission before taking down the diff. If without the driveshaft , you have same play on the diff.. then it is the diff that has to be opened. They probably just threw the damn lsd inside the pumpkin without setting proper backlash , pinion depth and so on....

Last edited by gerrb; 09-29-15 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 10:30 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
It could be coincidental, but that's what I was hinting at in the 'pulls left' thread that turned out to be the rear LCA ... seemed to me there had to be something else contributing to the symptoms. Hopefully, it ends up just being a bushing or something low-$$$.

Tightning the control arm fixed this problem immediately.

Originally Posted by gerrb
T - it is a ring and pinion setting ... the play is too much . Take out diff and ask someone to check backlash and contact pattern to see what is wrong. You will break the ring gear teeths eventually with a sudden acceleration.

EDIT : First take out the driveshaft and see if the play is caused by the differential or transmission before taking down the diff. If without the driveshaft , you have same play on the diff.. then it is the diff that has to be opened. They probably just threw the damn lsd inside the pumpkin without setting proper backlash , pinion depth and so on....
Sounds good! Thank you! Builder is in MA. DAMN!
Old 09-29-15, 11:03 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

This is my fear of buying a used TT $1000 rear diff.....and it ends up not being right...
Old 09-29-15, 12:23 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah that's alot of play. Is this a new sound though? Wonder what has changed?
Old 09-29-15, 02:14 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek

Tightning the control arm fixed this problem immediately.
My point was that the "it fixed it" answer to how that explained the problem didn't rule out there being something else contributing to why it only happened in certain scenarios, i.e., hard pulls. I believe in searching for connections, not settling on the immediate answer.
Old 09-29-15, 02:25 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
My point was that the "it fixed it" answer to how that explained the problem didn't rule out there being something else contributing to why it only happened in certain scenarios, i.e., hard pulls. I believe in searching for connections, not settling on the immediate answer.
I know you do man
Old 10-01-15, 09:20 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

could very well be improper backlash. have to set it right or can try tightening it up some at the risk of damaging it further, or breaking it, or might make it better.
Ideally there is a range of engagement checked with a special paint on the gear teeth, which means dissasembling it to do it right.

Thats why alot of people want the whole pumpkin, cause backlash is already set unless some yahoo swapped the flange for another one and never set the backlash again.
When you just get the lsd guts then it needs to be installed properly.
Old 10-01-15, 09:39 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
could very well be improper backlash. have to set it right or can try tightening it up some at the risk of damaging it further, or breaking it, or might make it better.
Ideally there is a range of engagement checked with a special paint on the gear teeth, which means dissasembling it to do it right.

Thats why alot of people want the whole pumpkin, cause backlash is already set unless some yahoo swapped the flange for another one and never set the backlash again.
When you just get the lsd guts then it needs to be installed properly.
Damn, I got the whole pumpkin like that.
Old 10-02-15, 11:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Damn, I got the whole pumpkin like that.
lol, you got the whole pumpkin but someone before you probably just threw the lsd inside the pumpkin ..