Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

S-AFC install and pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-03, 06:52 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S-AFC install and pics.

There has been few posts about S-AFC and such. I installed one over the weekend and posted some pics.
I have not tuned it since my basic Mods are not installed yet.
I would recommend very highly adding 2 gauges with this. A/F meter and EGT gauge.

Our ECU is located under passenger side footrest.
1. Lift up the door sil trim and pull the carpet back to expose the protective cover for the ECU and ABS computer
Attached Thumbnails S-AFC install and pics.-im000349.jpg  
Old 04-07-03, 06:56 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

There are only 2 10mm nuts holding the plastic cover down. Remove the 2 nuts and carefully dislodge the cover and remove it.
Attached Thumbnails S-AFC install and pics.-im000350.jpg  
Old 04-07-03, 07:00 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

The ECU is on the left and ABS computer on the right.
Each computer is held down by 1 10mm nut only.
You only need to remove the ECU on the left. Removing the one on the right will not give you extra room.
Attached Thumbnails S-AFC install and pics.-ecu3.jpg  
Old 04-07-03, 07:01 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

There is a protective plastic cover, covering the wiring harness. This will simply pull off. Always be careful.
Attached Thumbnails S-AFC install and pics.-im000352.jpg  
Old 04-07-03, 07:10 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Now you should be able to dislodge the ECU. Be careful the wiring has no slack.
I used 18-22gauge no-cut wire splice. Get the blue ones Blues ones are will bite into any wires 18 to 22 gauge. The red ones are 22 gauge on 1 side and 18 gauge on the other. This will not bite into the cable deep enough.

There rest of the insturctions you can follow as the S-AFC install manual shows.
When you are done you will only have 7 wires connected

There are the wires you need to hook up
brown, black, pink, orange, gray, green, red

The rest of the wires you use electrical tape to insulate.

I have an aftermarket radio that has a gap and I manged to run the S-AFC line though it.

Here is the final photo.
Attached Thumbnails S-AFC install and pics.-im000370.jpg  
Old 04-07-03, 07:17 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

I have a 255Walbro HIgh-pressure fuel pump. I thought I was running rich but it was not so.
anything under -5% correction will make your engine sputter and even stall out.
Without an A/F and EGT gauge it will be hard to tune since we can't tell if the car is lean, rich, hot or etc.
Those with OBDII can get an OBDII gauge/logger for some readings.

a few things to remember.
install takes 30-45 mins
don't try to splice the wires by hand. Spend the 10 bucks to get the no-cut splice things(don't know the technical term)
those with V8's will need to set the Cyl size on the AFC to 4cyl not 8cyl
remember to reset the S-AFC before starting the engine initially.
If you are not too sure ask. if asking don't help seek professional installer.

Good luck.

Anyquestions you can PM me.
Old 04-07-03, 07:18 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Great pics, nice wright-up!

Just wondering why you recommend an A/F meter and EGT gauge, I though you use those with a turbo? If you tune on a dyno will they still be needed?

Overclocker
Old 04-07-03, 07:29 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

A/F meter = Air Fuel meter. On the S-AFC Karman ECU's (on lexus V8's) will not translate the Airflow into Air flow % rather it will translate to Hrz. At idle karman is 21-26Hrz (585rpm). The S-AFC does not give an indication weather your car is running rich or lean. If you have an A/F meter you can tune the S-AFC using the "correct fuel mixture range" as displayed on the A/F meter. You will also know if your car is running too lean or too rich wich the S-AFC does not display.

EGT gague = Exhaust Gas temperature.
Thie will require tapping into your exhaust manifold. This will give you a warning and temperature indication of your engine. Will also display if your car is running too lean and it gets too hot.

Turbo cars have components that produce aot of heat (i.e. turbo) than N/A cars but in stock form they will not need them. once you start modding, temperature become critical and they will add these items so they can monitor the car's vital statistics. Same thing with N/A cars. with the S-AFC you are trying to lean out the A/F mixture where it runs too rich and vice versa. Even if you have the correct A/F (A/F meter) ratio it is possible for your car to run too hot and damage the engine thus the use of (EGT)

Even with dyno tuning. There are variables that dyno will not take into account. Dyno will allow you to tune according to the condition of the atmosphere and evironmental conditions at that time and that setting. It will give you more detailed reaout of your car's vital statistics. Dyno will also will push your car to maximum and set to a safe levels from the maximum. A/F and EGT is strictly cautionary measure or for use for people who want to tune their own. If tuned by a good tuner you should not need either one of the gauges.

let me know if you need any more info.

Last edited by VSsc400; 04-07-03 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-07-03, 08:18 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Job Dennis! I think I might be convinced to get myself a S-AFC..!
Old 04-07-03, 08:25 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

OneHot- be carful when fidgeting around with the correction.. I stalled out at the track because i ran too lean.
Old 04-07-03, 08:36 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick response and the detailed explanation.

For the record I knew what the acronyms stood for and what the gauges did, but your description tied in to the topic of this thread and is very relevant.

Keep us informed of your tuning, I'd be intrested to know how much power can be squeezed out with an S-AFC on a 1UZFE!

Overclocker
Old 04-07-03, 08:55 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

I am not a big believer of Dyno's(even though they are great to see numbers on papers.
I will tune the AFC with my buddy at the track not on the dyno. LIke they always say Dyno's don't drive your car... you do.
Old 04-07-03, 09:11 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RollHard - A`PEXi 2nd Generation Super-AFC Fuel Computer for $260 with FREE Shipping! (Posted by: Apex)
RollHard has some great pricing on the A`PEXi S-AFC fuel computer. One day, I`m going to get off my lazy behind and install one of these on my MR-2 Turbo. With a adjustable fuel curve definable at 500RPM increments, I`d be able to correct that extremely rich mid section my car seems to have. Use code: 5AFCOFF5 for an additional $5 off their already special $265 price. Most of their competitors are still easily over the $300 mark. Good while supplies last, unknown expiration date. ROLLHARD
Old 04-07-03, 09:27 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

awesome.
I ended up getting mine for 220 shipped from soneone on subaru club. Alot of those guys are going from S-AFC's to Unichips to Utek. so alot of them are selling them for low 200 mark. I bought 2 of them. 1 for 175 shipped and 1 for 200 shipped. For largely unproven HP i wanted to pay as little as possible...
Old 04-07-03, 09:06 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by aliga
RollHard - A`PEXi 2nd Generation Super-AFC Fuel Computer for $260 with FREE Shipping! (Posted by: Apex)
RollHard has some great pricing on the A`PEXi S-AFC fuel computer. One day, I`m going to get off my lazy behind and install one of these on my MR-2 Turbo. With a adjustable fuel curve definable at 500RPM increments, I`d be able to correct that extremely rich mid section my car seems to have. Use code: 5AFCOFF5 for an additional $5 off their already special $265 price. Most of their competitors are still easily over the $300 mark. Good while supplies last, unknown expiration date. ROLLHARD
If this is the new one (has the rotary **** and not the directional arrow buttons), I would be weary of it. The newest version (rotary ****) is only available in Japan right now. APEX USA said the new version was going to be ready in April, but I called and they pushed it back to June now
Anyway, if you do get the JDM version and it's the same one I think you're talking about, the warranty is no good- you'd probably be better off waiting two months. I don't know for sure if we're talking about the same one, but the JDM version of the new one on ebay is largely referred to as version 2.

Tim

Quick Reply: S-AFC install and pics.