Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/T throttle cable (line pressure) adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 10:21 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts
Default A/T throttle cable (line pressure) adjustment

I ran across this A343 thread while looking for recent Transgo shift kit info:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/impr...ifting.349909/

The A343 is covered by the same shift kits as the A340/341, so I assume most of the details will be pertinent. At any rate, the part that caught my attention is post #3, covering how to adjust the A/T throttle cable for proper line pressure. I had only seen trial and error methods previously.

Next is the transmission throttle cable, often called the kick down cable. On older type transmissions it played a roll in shift timing, on the A343F shift timing is controlled by the ECU. Its purpose is to increase system pressure as more throttle/engine torque is delivered. When adjusted tighter shifts are firmer, when looser shifts are smoother.

The first step is to confirm proper throttle cable adjustment. Remove floor mats, gummy bears and any other debris from under the throttle pedal. Under the hood loosen the adjustment nuts on the throttle cable. Have a helper hold the throttle pedal to the floor, pull on the cable housing (the larger black part) hard enough to fully open the throttle plate, turn the outer nut (on the cable housing side) until it touches the bracket, then tighten the other nut (on the cable/linkage side). The goal is to have the throttle butterfly fully open when the pedal hits the stop. If adjusted too tight the cable will stretch/fail.

Now adjust the transmission cable tighter, finding where it works best for your setup and preference takes experimenting. I first had it tighter, almost pushing the boot off, worked well on the road. When in low range, on dirt, would get brief wheel spin when shifting 1st to 2nd, not the best for smooth wheeling? Moved the adjustment several times until I found the happy spot for my setup/use.
Old 08-17-15, 04:19 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

this looks brilliant, i might have to do this when i change my timing belt since i'll be doing tons more maintenance stuff.