Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo kit advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 09:33 PM
Thrustn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo kit advice needed

Hey guys, Just bought a 97 sc300 auto for daily but would like to add more power. My goal would be around 400whp and was hoping to add a turbo kit or piece one together for under $2k. I heard of people making good power with ebay kits so any info on those would be nice or any advise on a solid budget kit would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Old 08-04-15, 03:37 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No where close to 2k for a reliable Na-t .. take it from someone who is Still on original bottom end with built head and cammed . Car been boosted since 2007. Please do some research
Old 08-05-15, 10:30 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

check out some of the na-t builds in the build section. it can be done on a budget but 2k for everything is a little tight, maybe with just the bare minimum stuff and you would have to do 100% of the labor yourself and make smart choices regarding engine management and build items you can get sort of close.
you didn;t tell us your power goals, but I will assume a low boost setup would be fine then.

you can get a basic kit for under that amount these days but the car will not run well turbocharged with the stock ecu. you must factor in the price of engine management also, and injectors to match that ecu, and almost always upgrade the fuel pump to at least a walboro if not a Denso TT unit, along with other smalls stuff etc... so its not just the kit.

Then depending on the power if you want to make more than 350hp you probably want to isntall a TT headgasket and arp headstuds with the stock washers for extra insurance, most of us have done this unless running e85 but thats a more complicated setup and E85 and budget builds do not go hand in hand.

simplest setup I would run would be
basic turbo kit (upgrade the oil lines yourself ones in kit are usually sub par) ~$1500-2000
JDM 2jzgte ecu/map sensor (cheapest reliable ecu to make it run well see "tt ecu mod") ~200-300
440cc injectors (match the above ecu) ~300 (you can also use 550cc with a piggyback then add price of piggyback also)
upgraded fuel pump ~150-200 (on pump gas you can run a single walboro or denso unit and be good for 550's)
intercooler kit ~200-500 (depends on brand and lots of stuff, some of it might even come with turbo kit above).

and if I was running more than 400hp I would do the oem tt headgasket and arp heastuds but re-use the factory washers (~400)

again none of these prices include extra bits or labor, I am just listing ballpark prices of things you will need.
also many say to replace the wastegate in the generic kits, but I have been boosting for many years on a knock off wastegate with no issues, If it works it works I have not had a single issue and my boost is always where I set it. I would only upgrade if doing a higher hp build where you will be running lots of boost or if the one in the kit is acting funny.

keep the stock fuel lines and fuel pressure regulator, work fine with boost no need to change or mess with them for a basic setup they will flow for 550's just fine with a new pump.
do the oil feed off of the union bolt, you will need at least like a 3 foot feed line unless you want to route it over the top of the motor.
you will need a drain fitting that goes to the block.

I think the main ones available now are the driftmotion and the cxracing ones, I havent used either I have an old xspower but many use manifolds from both places they are all pretty similar these days. I think cxracing you can get a thicker gauge one even if you upgrade. you will get the manifold, turbo, bov, wasetgate, downpipe, intake pipe, you can't go wrong with any of them unless the turbo is shot for some reason but it seems that people have been having better experience lately with the turbo kits.

again check out the build sections and do a search many piece together their turbo kit also, but some do opt for a kit to start with as its more budget friendly, then down the line they upgrade the turbo if they get more of the boost bug. I myself am going to move up to some larger BW turbo next but my car is on the backburner hardly have time to work on it or enjoy it lately.

Alot of people get mixed up and think NA-T is always less expensive than a GTE swap, but its not always true .
NA-T is almost always less expensive to end up with a single turbo 2jz, but if you are just doing a basic GTE swap with the twins, they can be comparable in price.
Now if you were to do a GTE swap and then add a whole single turbo kit to that, its pretty much the most expensive route you can go and then single turbo na-t starts to look more appealing budget wise, but if boost is all you are after and you don;t care if its a single or twins then a swap is not a bad idea you get the front facing intake and all the small things.

the one thing that wont work though witht he swap or the JDM ecu on the na-t (or standalone ecu) is your EGR. So if yo u have to worry about emissions then its going to be alot more complicated because you have a 97 and it gets plugged in for the test so you can't run those options then either.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-05-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-05-15, 11:02 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hes in Texas so after 24 years no emissions is required, maybe he should just wait till then. or find a 92 roller and be 5 months till its exempt and get a classic tag.
Old 08-05-15, 01:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

true, alot of places in texas also just have a safety inspection from what I remember so might not even have to do that.
Old 08-05-15, 07:41 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO the amount it cost to do a reliable NA-T......is the same amount it costs to do a GTE swap.....

Go big or go home....ha
Old 08-05-15, 09:42 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a turbo a rebuilt HX35 HX40 or a GT40-88R or GT40-94R.

For tuning you need a turbo ECU. The ECU can't control the automatic transmissions. So you have to swap to a turbo automatic transmission or 5 speed.

Good luck.
I found only after owning an SC300 what it means to own a tuner car.
I can't imagine with out contributing members like ALi on this forum how I would gain so much knowledge.

Keep reading

You don't need a turbo if your budget is $2k.
Old 08-06-15, 11:55 AM
Thrustn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ali and others for the helpful information. Looks like I have several options to look at.

I am leaning on a 2jzgte swap and keep the car BPU now. I already have a fully built 93 supra making 800+ whp so not trying to do anything crazy or spend a whole lot on this car it being my daily. I really like the sc300 and think it would be perfect with around 400whp.

I will continue to research and get ideas before making any decisions.

Thanks again,
James
Old 08-06-15, 10:31 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ That or a 1JZ-GTE automatic drivetrain swap which might better get close to the very tight budget. Or a 1JZ-GTE VVT-i Automatic swap which gives low end torque, though last I checked 2JZGTE+Auto Aristo drivetrains were about the same or less as those 1JZ VVT's. Early 1JZ Auto should still be the cheapest to source depending on how available they are these days.

I have to agree with everyone regarding an NA-T build. Doing it right can fit into a tight budget but it's going to be well over $2k when all said and done. Many of these options usually are but they all vary a bit at the end of the day.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-06-15 at 10:35 PM.