Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZGTE Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-03, 06:50 AM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZGTE Engine

I know that the US Spec Supra comes with the 2JZGE but in Japan it comes with a 2.5l 1JZGTE engine. Assuming I had a 5spd SC300 how simple of a swap would this be ? A 1JZ is a very stout engine and can handle 500HP on stock internals. Anyone tried this or willing to ? I will no doubt.
Old 04-02-03, 10:53 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the MKIV supra never came with a 1jz-gte

the MKIII supra in its later years had the 1jz-gte with a 5-speed... as did the Soarer that the MKIV was based off of...

the 1jz will bolt right in; and the stock SC300 5-speed will work perfectly fine with it...

the 1jz can handle a lot more than 500hp...

the only downside is the stock turbos have ceramic exhaust wheels... can't run high boost with them at all... that and there's a speed limiter in the ECU, etc...

the 1jz is pretty cheap.. Venus autosports sells front clips for $1500
Old 04-02-03, 12:38 PM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

I'm sorry I meant US Spec SC300's come with 2JZGE's. I have been looking at MKIII Supras and Lexus SC300's as one of my future cars, so you are saying that a 1JZ swap is very easy ? Anyone done one ? I am very excited about this possibilty, I also meant that the 1JZ can hold 500RWHP, more than that is iffy, its a very nice engine and is a swap I plan on doing. What kind of powers can the stock SC300 trans hold ? And to complete this swap would I need a front clip or any kind of parts from the JDM front clip ? Thanks, BTW if I use the stock trans that means that I don't need a different drive shaft correct ? Thanks.
Old 04-02-03, 12:40 PM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

Bean, also my friend is looking for a 300zx, send me a email at JZSupraMecy@aol.com with some details/pics if you got. P'z.

Last edited by Idrockasupra; 04-02-03 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-02-03, 09:02 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

The Soarer has a 1JZ version in Japan. Unfortunately, it never made it to Lexus's lineup. I would imagine a 1JZ Soarer front cut would be your friend. It was called the Soarer 2.5GTT.

The stock manual in the SC300 is the W58. It is weak. I wouldn't trust it over about 250rwhp. The 2.5GTT came with (although they are rare) the R154 manual box. They are supposedly very strong. I am also looking for a Soarer R154 to put on my V8 (SC400 equivalent). The R154 is also available on the 70 series Supra, although the shifter is different, and the gear ratios are slightly different. As far as I know, the stock auto is the same across the whole range, and can be made strong enough to hold 500?? But probably expensive.
Old 04-03-03, 06:31 AM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

Ok, so my main question is will I need to lengthen the drive shaft if I get a front clip and use the R154 trans ? I was also looking at MKIII Turbos, and they are equipped with R154's, they can hold 500RWHP which is nice. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-03, 07:46 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

the the MKIII R154 has a different bellhousing than the R154 with the 1jz... i think someone either makes an adapter or you can purchase a 1jz-R154 bellhousing from a junk car in japan or Australia...

there's several people on this board pushing 400rwhp+ through the stock W58 5-speed tho... but add a limited slip and the tranny will die

i'll get you info on that Z after i get back from work
Old 04-03-03, 07:38 PM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

well if I plan on getting a front clip, a bellhousing will be included, no ?
Old 04-03-03, 08:07 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Your dream scenario would be a manual Soarer 2.5 GTT front cut. Then just drop the lot in... 1JZ and R154 complete.. hopefully get the ECU working and you're done.

Probably a pretty big job, and manual TT front cuts are apparently quite rare. I want one for the gearbox.
Old 04-03-03, 08:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

JZA70 supra front cuts usually have the 5-speed tho... one just went up on ebay recently WITH the diff and whole front clip for around $1800
Old 04-03-03, 09:12 PM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

Well i have seen a few soarer 5spd 1jzs for sale, about 2000 plus shipping. Assuming I got one of these clips, how much would I be looking at for instalation ? I was talking to smoeone and they said like 8 grand, that is massive money for just a install, they said theirs something wti the wires and soldering or some **** like that, is it too much or a reasonable deal ? Thanks.
Old 04-03-03, 10:03 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

take your money and run

i don't see any reason why the wiring harness would have to be resoldered

if you buy a front clip with an uncut harness... that means you can rip out your old wiring harness for the most part and install the new one... the only stuff i think needs keeping is the HVAC controls and the US-spec dash wiring...

$8k? hehe... i paid $2k to have a 300zxTT engine installed and tuned into my 300zxTT when i first bought it... and lemme tell you; installing a 300zx engine is HELLA harder than a 1jz...

i'd bet i could install the motor itself within a day and the wiring harness spliced with the US-spec stuff within a week to two weeks if i had everything in front of me...

watch what happens when i install my turbo kit parts that will take the longest will be the fuel pump and injector install; and the oil lines...
Old 04-03-03, 11:22 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also planning on using the R154 swap. I've just completed the gte motor swap, and now need to look at the driveline in the near future. I've been talking to Dewsc300 about what I would need to do to swap this tranny in.

So far, it looks like I can use the R154 out of a Turbo MKIII, I'll get a 1jz bellhousing, and flywheel from my buddy Curt. Question though, with a 2jz clutch setup work on this 1jz flywheel, both being pull style and all?
Now, when coming to the driveshaft, not sure what I have to do here, could I try to locate a soarer driveshaft, or would it be easier to fabricate one? Lastly, what differential would work best, with the R154 gearing?

I've thought about the 6spd swap, and its still an option, but the 5spd seems like it could be a better option for drag racing. Plus, the R154 is more readily available, and more cost effective.

thoughts??

Chris
Old 04-04-03, 06:54 AM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

If you are going to use the R154 trans, I think the only clutches you can use are the ones made for the MKIII Supra Turbo. They are essentially the same transmission. I hear that you will have to get the first half of the soarer drive shaft and you use the sc300 drive shaft for the rest. Did you do a 1JZ or 2JZ Swap ? Did you do it yourself ? If not how much did they guy charge you ? If you don wanna say its kool, good luck.
Old 04-04-03, 06:57 AM
Idrockasupra
Rookie

Originally posted by Bean
take your money and run

i don't see any reason why the wiring harness would have to be resoldered

if you buy a front clip with an uncut harness... that means you can rip out your old wiring harness for the most part and install the new one... the only stuff i think needs keeping is the HVAC controls and the US-spec dash wiring...

$8k? hehe... i paid $2k to have a 300zxTT engine installed and tuned into my 300zxTT when i first bought it... and lemme tell you; installing a 300zx engine is HELLA harder than a 1jz...

i'd bet i could install the motor itself within a day and the wiring harness spliced with the US-spec stuff within a week to two weeks if i had everything in front of me...

watch what happens when i install my turbo kit parts that will take the longest will be the fuel pump and injector install; and the oil lines...
sorry, I didn't see you posted that. Thanks a lot man, I was thinking that was way too much money, also about the 300, if you wanna post up the info here its kool, just need a few details like mileage, color, trans, and other background info, take care.

Quick Reply: 1JZGTE Engine