Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 06:23 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Auto Transmission Issues

So, I have a 1JZ, big turbo, and pushing probably 375whp at 15psi. This trans was supposedly a lower mileage one with around 30k, had shimmed accumulators, and had line pressure increased on the throttle body with a tied knot on the kickdown cable. I am running custom trans ecu, so it NEVER shifts hard into 2nd. Also have been running a small and medium sized trans cooler.

Last year towards end of summer, it started slipping into 2nd, but 1st has always held up fine. After bringing it out of garage at beginning of season, the 2nd gear issue was non-existent. A few weeks ago, I had a chick in the car and was showing off in the rain and boosting in 1st. Of course, no traction... Immediately after that, I noticed that 1st gear would not hold. 1st was actually 2nd.

1st gear only holds when the car first starts up, and begins to not engage when the car warms up. I could boost and everything, up until the trans temp got to around 160-170F. Then it starts misbehaving. So, I installed a HUGE trans cooler in addition to the other 2, thinking that maybe keeping the temps down more would help make the trans last until the end of the season, at which point I would most likely send it out to ATF for rebuild, or else get another $400 trans to put in and hope it lasts a couple years until I actually want to fork over the $4k for ATF rebuild and TC. It is still doing the same thing though even with the extra cooling.

So, I guess I am looking for opinions. Is this typical behavior of a blown trans? Or could it be something like a solenoid? The fact that it still works when cold is kind of confusing me. I don't have much auto trans experience, so just wondering if in fact the trans is dead/dying?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 07-01-15, 06:47 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

IF your transmission fluid is new and at the right level , sounds to me it is on its last leg.
Old 07-03-15, 07:16 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
IF your transmission fluid is new and at the right level , sounds to me it is on its last leg.
That's what I was afraid of. I might just keep my eye out for a cheapie on ebay and see if I can swap it out and make it last a couple more years around 400-450hp. Now that I have a temp gauge on it and sufficient cooling, I think I can make it last that long.

How hard/time consuming is it to swap out the trans? I think it is just a matter of disconnecting cooling lines, unbolting flex plate, drive shaft, bell housing and crossmember? Is that correct?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 07-03-15, 11:25 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

It is not hard with the RIGHT tools. Tough part is if the car is just on jackstands ... little room to maneuver around.
Old 07-05-15, 09:42 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

OK thanks. I have a scissor lift, so should make it easier. Just going to have to get creative about getting it out because of the lift's cross members.
Old 07-09-15, 09:31 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I had it on the highway the other day and noticed that I also have no 4th gear. Does 1st gear and 4th gear have anything in common other than a solenoid? I am really wondering now if the one solenoid is sticking open at warm fluid temps, and not letting those gears kick in..