Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing belt skipped? Ignition timing? 1UZ woe's...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 05:10 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you can fabricate the tool by welding one together with a long piece of metal (like this) , one way to do it is with a chain wrench or a chain strap with a belt. Just wrap the belt grooves in cardboard so the chain doesn't damage them. It is a pain in the ***, big time.

Also, just promise you'll double and triple check the timing belt grooves and make sure the marks are correct. I know you know this, but just advising.

Old 07-20-15, 06:17 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFFUN
Unless you can fabricate the tool by welding one together with a long piece of metal (like this) , one way to do it is with a chain wrench or a chain strap with a belt. Just wrap the belt grooves in cardboard so the chain doesn't damage them. It is a pain in the ***, big time.

Also, just promise you'll double and triple check the timing belt grooves and make sure the marks are correct. I know you know this, but just advising.

Wow that looks like a major pain in the ***. I will quadruple check the belt, and everything before reassembly, this is the biggest job I've ever attempted on a car so far. I'll start figuring out a tool to get this right.
Old 07-21-15, 07:42 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

You might need an extra hand.

It is tough, but a fulfilling job when done. You'll feel good about it after. Especially when the car gets running right!
Old 07-28-15, 06:14 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered some Toyota FIPG 8 days ago, and it said it would be here yesterday, so I check the site again and find out that it shipped today. I was pissed. 8 Days to ship something, that said it would arrive yesterday? Evans Toyota....screw you!

Called the local Toyota dealer and they had it at $17 after tax. I thought this stuff went for $30+ at the dealership, but I was very wrong. So by trying to be cheap and save $3 I lost out on a lot of potential time to work on my car, this entire weekend I got nothing done...

Long story short I got the goo and the Water pump is back on. Also put the thermostat housing back on with new gaskets/o rings. It's 9pm and it's dark so I will do the thermostat/gasket tomorrow once I get home, and then the pulleys, and hopefully the belt. Heat Wave right now in NY so just walking outside you sweat, it's miserable.
Old 07-31-15, 04:40 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I think bumping the starter was a bad idea, now I'm not sure if my crankshaft timing is lined up correctly...

I believe it may have spun a little more then I wanted it too, and now the belt won't go on properly. It's off about a quarter turn. So I gotta install the crank crap back on, get it TDC, but this is looking like a major pain in the *** as everything has been thus far. I had to adjust the cams a bit to line up, and now I gotta adjust this...I feel like all this adjusting is just going to mess up the timing more. I was moving the right cam towards the line mark, and at one point it just auto spun back to it's old position...

Last edited by Biddles; 07-31-15 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 10:14 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
I think bumping the starter was a bad idea, now I'm not sure if my crankshaft timing is lined up correctly...

I believe it may have spun a little more then I wanted it too, and now the belt won't go on properly. It's off about a quarter turn. So I gotta install the crank crap back on, get it TDC, but this is looking like a major pain in the *** as everything has been thus far. I had to adjust the cams a bit to line up, and now I gotta adjust this...I feel like all this adjusting is just going to mess up the timing more. I was moving the right cam towards the line mark, and at one point it just auto spun back to it's old position...
Take the plug out of #1 and put a long screwdriver in the hole. That way you can set TDC without the cover on, just watch the screwdriver and when it gets to the highest point, you should be good to go.

You need a wrench to hold the cam in place (there are hexagonal sections in the middle somewhere that you can fit a wrench on).
Old 08-03-15, 10:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

do you have a manual or a guide you are following?
if you are going to do the breaker bar bump start you only do that with the old belt still on.
you never spin the crank with the belt off, you would loose TDC that way and have to manually verify which is a bit tricky. the method above with the screwdriver I am not sure if that is foolproof or not, check on the internet and make sure.
Old 08-03-15, 05:53 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Well I had a pain in the *** with it last night, again I've only been able to work on it an hour or so here or there. I just thought about the crank being out of TDC since i bumped the starter, it only spins clockwise when cranking so I cranked it counter clockwise to 0 with a motorcycle spanner wrench (awesome tool by the way). I went back and forth putting the TB cover on, and crank pulley to ensure it was in line. Long story short I got the belt on, I've done two rotations, everything is in line! The cams that weren't lined up I just turned to the line in the closest direction... I hope everythings ok when I fire it up.

The cam marks on the belt however don't realign with the marks on the cams when it's TDC, but I read that they wouldn't after a few rotations. Is that correct?

Other then that I'm in the process of making the tool to hold the crank pulley while I torque to 181lbs, then I'm smooth sailing on putting everything back together. If she doesn't start and run after this I'll be pretty discouraged.
Old 08-04-15, 07:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the lines on the belt only line up when you first put it on. as soon as you turn it one rotation those lines wont match up anymore, but the marks on the cam and cam cover themselves should still line up.
Old 08-04-15, 06:32 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Today was a good day. Put everything back together, triple checking my work, and she fired right up on the first try. She ran rough for the first 10 minutes or so, but got better afterwards. Also had the new ecu so that could have been the problem initially. After a good warm up it was idling around 750, but still feels a little iffy.

The drive belt also looks shot and seemed to be making noise so that will be the next thing to replace. I didn't even want to put it back on honestly, but I had to see if she would run. I didn't even put coolant in the car, just water. I'm going to get toyota coolant in it tomorrow, and a new drive belt, and take it from there.

The car's fast I can say that much. The car sat for a long time so all the brake rotors/pads have build up on it, typical stuff. Exhaust was pinging for a while after I shut it off, might be a crack in a pipe or bad cats, unsure at the moment. Still very happy I got it running good! Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-06-15, 03:36 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't have time to do the coolant change, but just wanted to say the car's running really good. Much better then when I first fired it up Tuesday. I completely forgot about the extra parts the guy included in the trunk, I have a full set of Prothane front/rear upper/lower control arm bushings, as well as front/rear sway bar bushings. $200+ worth. So far the car has a lot of new parts. I'm just not sure what I'm doing with it yet, keep it or sell it...
Old 08-16-15, 04:24 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

I have to admit, it was like reading a thrilling book reading your last few posts. I couldn't wait to see if it started running correctly. Good work!
Old 08-17-15, 03:30 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFFUN
I have to admit, it was like reading a thrilling book reading your last few posts. I couldn't wait to see if it started running correctly. Good work!
Thanks man! As far as updates go...found out that the thermostat housing itself has a hairline crack in it which leaks whenever you're on the throttle. So I ordered a brand new oem housing for $10 on ebay.

Aside from that I popped the new drivebelt on. She's running great, just a damn drag that the tranny slips at speed. Unless the ECU isn't fully adjusted to the car yet, but I doubt that's the cause of the slippage although I've only driven 1-2 miles since getting it going. Also fixed the drivers window which wasn't working at all. Something electrical in the door that was loose. I also found some extra parts laying around from my first SC about 3-4 years ago that I might install just for the learning experience. Transmission filter/gasket, diff fluid, and a few other things.

I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the car though. Keep it or sell it. I really have no use for an extra car since I have my bike.
Old 08-18-15, 07:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I have actually heard on the 2uz that the housing can leak and since the timing belt it right below it thats what causes the belt to soak up coolant and then it will eventually start to slip. gotta make sure that there are no leaks after you are done, dont drive it around much till you fix the housing or you might skip another belt.
Old 08-18-15, 02:59 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have actually heard on the 2uz that the housing can leak and since the timing belt it right below it thats what causes the belt to soak up coolant and then it will eventually start to slip. gotta make sure that there are no leaks after you are done, dont drive it around much till you fix the housing or you might skip another belt.
Yea I'm not moving it at all until the new housing/gasket arrives. I wish I would have inspected that housing better before installing it as I redid the gasket in there and the thermostat with sealant. Also going to hold off on the tranny with the hopes that after I fix this and drive a little more the ECU will make the transmission shift better. Doubtful but perhaps it was still learning as I barely drove it, maybe two miles since it's been running.

Quick Reply: Timing belt skipped? Ignition timing? 1UZ woe's...