Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Piggyback Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 09:31 AM
Durvelle27
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
how did you correlate target power number to target boost level? It doesn't work like that. Also, if you're not the one with the fab skills, the dollar amount involved to meet your goals with this project will double that of a 1jz swap which you can get running without really fabricating much of anything, a monkey can pretty much bolt together a Jz swap in a driveway. Either way, the cost of reliable 500whp is steep and if you're already looking at eBay parts that means you can't really afford it. That statement isn't made trying to be an *******, it's made because it's true. Go that route if you want, just know from doing this kind of stuff over the last few years with two 400whp daily cars in the stable for those said few years that cheating out leads to more money in the long run.

Another thing I guarantee you didn't think about is diff/subframe bushings, diff condition (bet it has a leak somewhere), and front suspension condition (bushings/balljoints/rack bushings). Most likely that stuff is shot or close to it. And stock struts. 400whp on high mileage 25 year old suspension is sketchy and dangerous, especially for someone that isn't seasoned to driving a vehicle with that much power.

Oh, and then there's your open diff. So you're basically gonna roast one tire at all times and get beat by stuff that has half the power and can hook. have $1200 for an lsd in that budget? You want reliable, better come with $7k minimum with you doing every bit of the work. Or spend like $3500 and start looking for a daily driver if you don't already have one that isn't the lexus in question here
I have currently

Tein Coilovers
MK4 rear & front sway bar
Polyurethane Bushings
LS400 Front Brakes & Rotors
New Sway Bar links

I thought about a engine swap but it would cost close to the same as boosting the 1UZ
Old 06-26-15, 09:43 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Durvelle27
I have currently

Tein Coilovers
MK4 rear & front sway bar
Polyurethane Bushings
LS400 Front Brakes & Rotors
New Sway Bar links

I thought about a engine swap but it would cost close to the same as boosting the 1UZ
Your not getting it dude. A reliable custom 1uz turbo setup will be far more than a basic 1jz swap. I'm not sure where your getting your numbers from. Re-read everything Vrank just posted and soak it all in.
Old 06-26-15, 09:52 AM
Durvelle27
Driver

Originally Posted by hmhatch
Your not getting it dude. A reliable custom 1uz turbo setup will be far more than a basic 1jz swap. I'm not sure where your getting your numbers from. Re-read everything Vrank just posted and soak it all in.
I read thorough all of it
Old 06-26-15, 12:00 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are all of those parts already installed? And I'm assuming the poly bushings are for the front?
Old 06-26-15, 04:16 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Durvelle27,
I can appreciate your confidence and your adventurous spirit and I'm all for building the 1UZ. I think that if you are doing it because you love this motor and prefer it for your build then there couldn't be a better choice for you.
If you are doing it because it will cost you the same or less money you might want to re think that.

I put together a few "buy" lists for boosting my 400. Every route was way too expensive for me. I chose an NA/T setup for my 300, and although way over budget, it's considerably less than the 400 was going to be.

There are several guys that have done turbo 1UZ on the forums, they ALL say that it was waaaaaaaaay more expensive than a 1 or 2J swap.

Do it if you love it like that though......

Best of luck either way.

Are you making a plan up for yourself, or following a successful build you found?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-26-15 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 03:20 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to concur with Vrank and Studiogeek about the costs involved in going the 1uz route if you want to do it the right way.
I´ve been collecting parts for supercharging my sc400 for a while, but has that project on hold right now, in favour of the cheaper and easier 1jz route for my sc300. But some day .

Durvelle27, Don´t give up! Take your time. If you´re willing to pay the price, I´m sure it will be worth it!

I think you should ad headers to your wish list.
I can recommend Rush headers from down under. Great sound even if you stay NA. Talk to Neil at rushimports in Sydney. He´s a great guy.

If Money is no object:
Here´s a standalone ecu that´s plug and play for the Soarer V8(should work for the sc400). Takes care of the transmission as well.
http://www.wolfems.com/CatalogueRetr...&ObjectType=27

http://www.wolfems.com/Default.aspx?...h-results.html
Old 06-27-15, 05:19 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its not great or perfect but you can make it work, at least the stock trans on the lexus has a line to the throttle body for line pressure, so on those transmissions its not even handled by the ecu. on a 2jzgte automatic, that is handled by the ecu.

basically if you set the shift points conservative it should hold up to a little boost, but just manual swap it there are like a half dozen manual swap options now for the sc400.
Ali- still hasn't worked on na supra with na-t setup. its been almost 3 month and aem still hasn't found the fix for it..

You basically have to drive the car like a manual car to get it to shift gears..
So you literally have to let off the gas at 6-7k rpm then it will shift that gear, that's in every gear..

So until they fix all those issues on the V2 , I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Same goes with a TT supra at my friend shop, it doing the same thing.. Still waiting on the fix.
Old 06-27-15, 02:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

oh I was talking about the v1 not the v2, I thought it worked on the old box but I could be wrong about that, I have only had the manual setup. The v2 I was reading they messed it up completely.
Old 06-27-15, 03:27 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ali- v1 doesn't work properly..

V2 worked at first but every since they came out with the new firmware that had the flex fuel update it didn't work..
Old 06-27-15, 06:04 PM
Durvelle27
Driver

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Durvelle27,
I can appreciate your confidence and your adventurous spirit and I'm all for building the 1UZ. I think that if you are doing it because you love this motor and prefer it for your build then there couldn't be a better choice for you.
If you are doing it because it will cost you the same or less money you might want to re think that.

I put together a few "buy" lists for boosting my 400. Every route was way too expensive for me. I chose an NA/T setup for my 300, and although way over budget, it's considerably less than the 400 was going to be.

There are several guys that have done turbo 1UZ on the forums, they ALL say that it was waaaaaaaaay more expensive than a 1 or 2J swap.

Do it if you love it like that though......

Best of luck either way.

Are you making a plan up for yourself, or following a successful build you found?
Doing it because I thought it would be more cost effective

Was falling a build by a friend
Old 06-28-15, 03:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Ali- v1 doesn't work properly..

V2 worked at first but every since they came out with the new firmware that had the flex fuel update it didn't work..
good to know, this is why I stay away from autos.
Old 06-29-15, 12:28 PM
Durvelle27
Driver

I've checked about swapping for 1JZGTE-VVTi

Cost would be about a little under 3K
Old 07-01-15, 07:28 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know much about the 1UZ, but I'm pretty sure the MAP ECU would be a good piggyback. And will convert the MAF to MAP.
Old 07-02-15, 04:26 PM
Durvelle27
Driver

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
I don't know much about the 1UZ, but I'm pretty sure the MAP ECU would be a good piggyback. And will convert the MAF to MAP.
Have you ever used it before.
Old 07-03-15, 07:04 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Durvelle27
Have you ever used it before.
yes, I am using it on my 1JZ. It is probably the most powerful piggyback that you can get, and the closest to stand alone. You can make timing adjustments, fuel adjustments, adjustments relative to coolant temp, and so much more. I don't know much about using it on the 1UZ, but have a look at their website in the downloads section. They have basemaps for all different applications: RB's, 3SGTE's, 7M's, SR20's, VG30DETT, etc. I don't see why it wouldn't work on 1UZ. Have a look at the spec's on their website and join the forum and ask if it would work on 1UZ. The forum is pretty active there with MAP-ECU Man getting back to all with answers.

The only thing is that you will have to learn to tune yourself most likely. Not many shops know much about it. But it is pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply: Piggyback Recommendation