Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

!jzgte vs 1jzgte vvti 93 sc300 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 09:23 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !jzgte vs 1jzgte vvti 93 sc300 questions

Hey guys i have been doing my research on this topic and im lost on a few things. And would like to know what should i look for when swapping. Ill be staying with the TT auto tranny.
What would be the best choice? I want the vvti because of the low end but itll be a PITA from what ive heard. GTE non vvti is $100 cheaper so not a big difference but its basically a drop in

1jzgte out of a soarer with ecu, harness, downpipe, auto tranny and everything else-
I will need to extend the harness. Stupid question, but do i have to extend the harness? Or can i just leave it where ever it stays which im guessing will be on the drivers side under the steering wheel?
I could also reuse the tranny mounts and driveshaft on my 93 sc3?
Fuel pump
Tune up

1jzgte vvti with ecu, harness, auto tranny and everything else-
Extend harness(again, can i just leave it there?)
Need downpipe
95-98 motor mounts but others say i can use mine
fans
sc400 driveshaft
fuel pump
tune up

Anything i forgot? thanks

Last edited by funknstein; 06-23-15 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 03:23 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Anoyone? lol
Old 06-24-15, 03:43 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1JZGTE SWAP
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...r154-swap.html (1JZGTE and R154 swap)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...parts-buy.html (1JZGTE Parts list for swap)

Here are too links from the stickies, try searching before you post and you should be able to find 95% of what you need. Good luck
Old 06-24-15, 04:16 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

i Have done my research. I just want to make sure what i have down is correct and want to know what people have faced when doing this swap
Old 06-25-15, 11:44 AM
Boriken
Driver School Candidate

Hi funknstein,

I understand the feeling i'm in the process of doing a 1j swap hopefully this year ( i want to get everything before dropping the motor in) The problem i had had is how old a lot of the threads are sometimes. And as time passes things change.

The ECU question from what i have been looking is that if not extended will fit somewhere behind the cars radio more specific near the airbag ecu. Some other post i have seen recommend a patch harness as a cheaper alternative to ecu placement.

1j vvti and none vvti gte are pretty much in the equals in the upgrade department. It really depends on the power goal and the tuner. At one point in the search for power you will need some way to manage the engine and now days aftermarket ecu's support vvti like AEM Version 2. At this point its up to your tuner.

If your goals are simple and not going for aftermarket ecu then i say IMO go vvti. It is a platform the is used a lot in japan and has been reliable for amature / pro drift in japan. Bolt on power is more then good if you have seen the tomei upgrades.

Fuel pump i say get it now as its better to do it all at once. a 255 walbro is good from what i understand.

And as of tune up, with anything that you buy used there's a risk of the owner before you did not take care off. Water pump , timing belt and plugs are a must to protect your investment.

I maybe miss informed also cause of the same reasons as you some of the info is spread out and sometimes really old. But i hope this helps.
Old 06-25-15, 12:07 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done 2 1j vvti swaps into SC's, working on another one as we speak. I prefer the vvti over the older 1j. I would extend the wire harness if I was you placing it back into the stock position under the glove compartment, extending the harness is not difficult just take your time and do one wire at a time.also replace the oil pump, and valve cover gaskets while you are at it. Good luck!!
Old 06-25-15, 01:33 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boriken
Hi funknstein,

I understand the feeling i'm in the process of doing a 1j swap hopefully this year ( i want to get everything before dropping the motor in) The problem i had had is how old a lot of the threads are sometimes. And as time passes things change.

The ECU question from what i have been looking is that if not extended will fit somewhere behind the cars radio more specific near the airbag ecu. Some other post i have seen recommend a patch harness as a cheaper alternative to ecu placement.

1j vvti and none vvti gte are pretty much in the equals in the upgrade department. It really depends on the power goal and the tuner. At one point in the search for power you will need some way to manage the engine and now days aftermarket ecu's support vvti like AEM Version 2. At this point its up to your tuner.

If your goals are simple and not going for aftermarket ecu then i say IMO go vvti. It is a platform the is used a lot in japan and has been reliable for amature / pro drift in japan. Bolt on power is more then good if you have seen the tomei upgrades.

Fuel pump i say get it now as its better to do it all at once. a 255 walbro is good from what i understand.

And as of tune up, with anything that you buy used there's a risk of the owner before you did not take care off. Water pump , timing belt and plugs are a must to protect your investment.

I maybe miss informed also cause of the same reasons as you some of the info is spread out and sometimes really old. But i hope this helps.
Thanks man, for the 1j ill likely be getting the non vvti since im **** for twins haha and because ill prefer the boost to kick in at high RPM. My WHP goals for the 1j would be 600-650 with a piggyback. And of course a tune up will be needed. Ill be attending EFI university next year so ill be my own tuner
Old 06-25-15, 01:40 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flogrown
I've done 2 1j vvti swaps into SC's, working on another one as we speak. I prefer the vvti over the older 1j. I would extend the wire harness if I was you placing it back into the stock position under the glove compartment, extending the harness is not difficult just take your time and do one wire at a time.also replace the oil pump, and valve cover gaskets while you are at it. Good luck!!
Thanks, if i were to go vvti instead all i have listed in my original post would be correct as of installation? Yeah ill be reading up on how to extend the harness since ive been mostly reading on the swap!
Old 06-26-15, 06:57 AM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funknstein
Thanks, if i were to go vvti instead all i have listed in my original post would be correct as of installation? Yeah ill be reading up on how to extend the harness since ive been mostly reading on the swap!
You can use your motor mounts and drive shaft, everything else is correct, you want to change the water pump for a 2jzgte one but keep the pulley off of the sc engine the 1j pulley is just a little different.
Old 06-26-15, 01:06 PM
funknstein
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flogrown
You can use your motor mounts and drive shaft, everything else is correct, you want to change the water pump for a 2jzgte one but keep the pulley off of the sc engine the 1j pulley is just a little different.
Alright thanks man!