Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mechanic advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 03:56 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mechanic advice please

What's up club lexus I own a 95 sc300 and I am having problems. I have a oil leak at the distributor. I have already ordered the gasket and am waiting on it's arrival. Anyway I was driving home from work and I felt like my car was hesitating a little. Kinda like first gear was slipping,about a mile or two down the road the whole instrument panel shut off all except the gas gauge. Over the course of 10 or so miles it lost power, I could stomp the gas and it would putt along. I pulled off the side of the road and the car shut itself off. I someone to get me so I could go get another vehicle to drive to work the next day. The sunroof or windows wouldn't roll up and I couldn't turn the car over at all, it wouldn't even attempt to start. So I leave for an hour and a
HAlf, go get a truck and on the way back by I stopped to Put a white cloth in the door, for ****s and giggles I put the key in and attempted to crank her up. Wouldn't you know it she fired right up. So I went home got my roommate to give me a ride to go get it and on the way home she drove fine until the last mile it started doing the same thing. I made it to the driveway and it cut off. It usually smokes a bit cause of the leak but it started smoking a lot more than usual. I think it's the alternator but why did it crank back up? I need an opinion more qualified than my own any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-15-15, 01:24 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must have an electrical issue. Something is shorting or touching the wrong thing and all your current is going through path of least resistance. It works when u go back to it cause either the heat effected the material around issue or water did so. Sorry im not of much help but that has happened to me in previous vehicle before.

Do you have factory alarm? any wiring in driver foot well that looks like its been altered or moved? Any issues with wiring in wheel wells from rubbing? Sound System?

Best advice id say is get a ohmmeter if you dont own one and start learning how to use it. Might have to search for some wiring diagrams if it gets to that
Old 06-15-15, 02:56 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
You must have an electrical issue. Something is shorting or touching the wrong thing and all your current is going through path of least resistance. It works when u go back to it cause either the heat effected the material around issue or water did so. Sorry im not of much help but that has happened to me in previous vehicle before.

Do you have factory alarm? any wiring in driver foot well that looks like its been altered or moved? Any issues with wiring in wheel wells from rubbing? Sound System?

Best advice id say is get a ohmmeter if you dont own one and start learning how to use it. Might have to search for some wiring diagrams if it gets to that

Thanks. That's what my dad is saying that it's a short or something.
Old 06-15-15, 09:38 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ

Come to think of it the day it broke down i was wiggling my foot up in the footwell near the gas pedal. I was feeling around for were the clutch would ve if it was a manual. I hope I just knocked a wire loose.