Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need all the help i can plz!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 11:53 PM
Acidburn46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need all the help i can plz!!!!!!

ok sorry has been some time since i was last on so i had to make a new account but anyways guys i need help i have a 95 sc400 and long story short she is my baby and my project but her hydraulic pump froze so i left the pump in place and ran a new belt in place by passing the pump and bought a electric radiator fan wired it but after awhile she starts to heat up so i bought two more fans(total of 3) and they r hooked up 2 in the front and one in the engine bay but she still heats up the thermo is good and it seems like the water pump works but idk what can be causing it the fans move a **** LOAD of air but still overheating happens after she is warmed up and driven a lil i have no leaks anywhere no smoke out of exhaust so i dont think it is the head gasket and im lossing my mind trying to figure out what can be causing it she is my daily driver i just dont drive her far but i LOVE MY BABY and need help to resolve this issue FYI she hauls *** and has plenty of power so there r no losses there so if u know or can help plz let me know
Old 06-08-15, 05:18 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Can you post a picture of that radiator with those electric fans ? assuming there is no problem on head gasket, water pump, thermostat and truly those fans are rated high in terms of CFM meaning are really moving tons of air, how are they installed on that radiator ? are they rotating in such a way they are sucking the heat out of the radiator ? they might not be wired properly if they are reversible in rotations.
Old 06-08-15, 05:41 PM
Acidburn46
Driver School Candidate

I was no aware of a thermo inside of the water pump I only knew of the one on the radiator inlet or top radiator line going into the top of the block so I'm guessing u can only get to it with the pump off??? As far as the fans the front two on the ac condenser r blowing into the engine bay and the one inside the engine bay on the radiator itself is sucking air into the engine bay so all three fans r moving air into the engine bay from grill but I will post pics ASAP when I get home
Old 06-08-15, 06:02 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Acidburn46
I was no aware of a thermo inside of the water pump I only knew of the one on the radiator inlet or top radiator line going into the top of the block so I'm guessing u can only get to it with the pump off??? As far as the fans the front two on the ac condenser r blowing into the engine bay and the one inside the engine bay on the radiator itself is sucking air into the engine bay so all three fans r moving air into the engine bay from grill but I will post pics ASAP when I get home
there is a thermostat inside the water pump housing, check it out . Take out the lower pipe on the water pump where your lower radiator hose is connected.

try installing two fans on the radiator sucking out the hot air and nothing infront on the condenser that just impedes incoming fresh air from the bumper . Do you also still have the plastic part that diverts air from the front bumper to the top area of your condenser / radiator ? That thing helps a lot divert incoming fresh air to radiator.
Old 06-10-15, 04:45 PM
Acidburn46
Driver School Candidate

Old 06-10-15, 04:46 PM
Acidburn46
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I have been slammed with stuff past couple days this is the first chance I got to post the pics I took
Old 06-11-15, 05:37 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

On the assumption that your overheating is not caused by a failed head gasket ;

First , try replacing your thermostat inside the water pump on the assumption that your water pump is good.

Second , if I were you , on the assumption that those fans are really good in terms of amount of air they pull or push, I would put two behind the radiator , sucking heat out of the radiator. Nothing in front for now so you let cold air from from the front to get into the condenser and radiator . Later on you can put one in front in push-air direction.

Third, you make sure you have that plastic that divert air from the front to the top area of the condenser / radiator so air coming in is spread out towards the whole face of the condenser and it doesn't escape on top.
Right now through your pictures from top, i don't see that plastic non unless you just took it out to take pictures

Try those in order and let us know. I have the feeling it is a thermostat issue. If you don't have that plastic part I am referring to and cannot find one locally , let me know, send me a shipping label I can stamp on the box and send you one for free.
Old 06-11-15, 09:36 AM
Acidburn46
Driver School Candidate

I don't have any plastic piece when I bought the car it didn't have it only thing I pulled was old fan out even my fan didn't have the plastic shroud around it when I got her cause I noticed I don't have the air director or skid plate piece or anything the guy that had it before me did a number on this car he has the headlights wierd to the rear defogger lol I still need to fix but haven't cause I don't do much driving at night but I'll look in to replacing the water pump and timing belt and seals and tensioner anything else I'm missing and what a good brand to go with as far as the pump goes
Old 06-11-15, 10:19 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

It may not necessarily be your water pump, if your water pump is good .. replace the thermostat inside that water pump. OEM toyota parts would always be the best for me.

That air director/skid plate helps a lot direct air to the full face of the condenser/radiator and prevent some air just escaping everywhere.
Old 06-11-15, 10:24 AM
Acidburn46
Driver School Candidate

I got ya well I can go but a 16g sheet metal and stamp out a new skid plate to help with that but thanks for the heads up I'll have to find some time and pull and replace the thermo I'm willing to try anything to get her good I love this car she is a bad *** a lil rough from last person that had her before but I'll make her a diamond again
Old 06-12-15, 09:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if everything is working you can cool a sc400 with dual 12" puller fans and no shrouds or diverters. those fans look a little small make sure they are at least 12" if not 14" and put 2 of them on the motor side pulling air. I would look into the thermostat as Gerrb mentioned it could be stuck or you could even have a radiator that is clogging internally which happens when they get up in mileage if the right coolant etc.. wasn't always used.