Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

motor upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 10:14 AM
spawn08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor upgrades

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can get performance parts for a 93 sc 400 1uzfe 4.0 liter v8 engine?
Old 06-06-15, 01:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Hello spawn08 and welcome to the forum!

You'll have to do some research on that depending on just how extreme you want to get with your 1UZ-FE. In short, there isn't nearly the same aftermarket support for it as there is for any of the JZ series engines. Do make more than a negligible 10-15hp over stock you will have to spend quite a bit. Regular bolt-ons don't do the same for 1UZ's or naturally aspirated 2JZ-GE's as they do for Ford and Chevy V8 engines.

Here's a recent thread on the topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-a-chance.html

And as far as I know the biggest aftermarket parts resource for 1UZ's is Lextreme. Also Bullet Cars Australia. And then there are a couple of companies that specialize in kits to allow swapping a W58 or R154 5-speed manual transmission into your car.

The transmission swap is arguably one of the best bang for the buck modifications you can do to an SC400, apart from a pricey and fully custom Eaton roots supercharger setup (commonly with a used M90 or M112 model).

Read a lot and search here for SC400 build threads to see what others have done before you start spending on parts. Unfortunately it is not a straightforward or easy path to make respectable horsepower improvements with a 1UZ V8.

Good luck!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-06-15 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-06-15, 02:41 PM
spawn08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you I know you can put the 2JZ-GE in it and it has all kinds of upgrades does it bolt right up
Old 06-07-15, 04:31 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The 1992-2000 Lexus SC (Toyota Soarer) chassis was designed for the 1UZ-FE V-8, 2JZ-GE I-6 and the 1JZ-GTE I-6. By proxy the 2JZ-GTE I-6 fits just the same as the 1JZ does.

Yes, any JZ series engine will fit although there are wiring differences between all the variations that can be swapped. You would have to change the wiring harness and and engine mounts among other things. However, if you're going to the trouble of swapping out the entire engine for a JZ, consider a JDM 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE engine swap. You can put a non-turbo 2JZ-GE engine into the car but there isn't much point unless you plan to build the engine up as an NA-T and then hoist it into the car. For non-turbo power your 1UZ already makes more than a stock 2JZ-GE. And bolt-on NA upgrades won't do much of anything for a JZ engine, sorry to say. Turbocharging is a completely different story.

There is a lot of information on the forums for each and every engine route you may want to take. Good luck!
Old 06-11-15, 06:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP - I have a quick question for you . Are you looking for performance upgrades for your SC400 1UZFE because you want more power ? I assume it is still in good running condition right ?

If your are bent in extracting power from your 1UZ, my next question would be , how much of the work like fabrication, wiring, assembly , installation and maintenance will be done by you ? That should be part of your decision making cause if someone has to do things for you then I will first suggest to look around near you if there is even someone who can do things for you the right way.

Another question I usually ask is what will you use the car for which in a way will dictate how much power you want to extract from the 1UZ , then will dictate what work to be done , then be able to get an estimate of what cost you are looking at for the entire build.

Once who have gone through all that , then as KahnBB6 said, you might want to look at other options. Are there cheaper and better alternative in attaining your goal ? Once you have other options in front of you , then make a decision, where will you be able to attain your goal in a more efficient and cost effective manner.

One thing I will tell you though , looking for performance aftermarket parts for the 1UZ , depending on your goal would not be easy and more likely won't be cheap.
Old 06-11-15, 06:26 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If money is not an issue look into TCC performance...
Old 06-11-15, 12:14 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
If money is not an issue look into TCC performance...
Not really sure if TTC is still doing business. I know since Eric had a problem with that MKIV UZFE he sold on supraforums, his credibility was tarnished. So do your research first about TTC if ever.
Old 06-11-15, 02:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you are just looking for a little extra a better cold air intake always seems to help the V8.
do a search for the BFI mod, but if looking for more power in bolt on form there is always the JZ swap options.