Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 Running very weird...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 10:08 PM
Infamous40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 Running very weird...HELP

I did some searching and I can't really find much or of I do I cant find a solution to my problem.

OK so I have a 1995 Sc400. I have had the car for about 3 months. When I first got the car i drove it for aboutique a month with no issues at all. I decides to just do all the basic routine maintenance and realized that the MAF was unpluged but the car ran fine....? So I plugged it in and the car started breaking up and running horrible. I unplugged it and it ran fine. So I just left it unpluged. I've but over 5k miles on it like that no issues. Then one day I was at a red light and the car just died but started right back up, I was driving and it started breaking up and bogging out It ended up stalling again I pulled over and tried starting it. It smelled like raw fuel and was blowing smoke extremely rich. It finally started I got it home and it was fine. I checked the obd codes it pulled a MAF code and a ETS code. I replaced the ETS sensor and left the MAF unplugged because it still ran like **** with it plugged in had no issues with it untill last night. I drove it to a local meet it was fine parked it set for about a hour, got ready to leave and it didn't want to start just turned over and over, with raw fuel smell and finally fired and seemed to do fine on the drive home. Now today I drove it to work it was fine, went to start it and same thing would not fire With raw fuel smell. I figured maybe from it running rich it fouled out the plugs. I replaced all 8; plugs and still didn't want to fire but finally it did. I found a few vacuum leaks that I fixed and it seemed to be ok. I drove it home and out to dinner and on the way home it started breaking up horribly and super bogie I tried review it to clear it out it won't Rev past like 5k rpm and won't hit rev limiter. Then a few miles down the rod it just died. tried starting it nothing just lots of fuel smoke and raw fuel smell. I discounted the batter for like a minute and it fired. Was extremely hesitant and braking up worse then it ever has I got it home but now it won't start again same issues as before. Does anyone have any idea on wtf is going on and why this car is even running with out a maf for so long and or why now it's dead in the water. Please help.
Old 05-01-15, 11:43 PM
nemisonic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, replace the MAF. Www.MyLParts.com, tell them you are a club lexus member for possible discount.

//1994 sc400 with 350k miles, MAF unplugged works, but when I tried MAF cleaner on it I got your symptoms, replace MAF and all fixed. Then, if you still have problems replace plugs, wires, cap, rotors and ignitor coils. Finally, IAF sensor bearings so that works properly. I did this things and runs like a cherry.
Old 05-02-15, 07:33 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Get your ECU rebuilt if it hasn't been touched since you've owned the vehicle. First find out if there are any leaking capacitors. Crack it open and look for leaks or corrosion on the board beside the cap. Coils are also not out of the question.
Old 05-02-15, 06:57 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Coil pack? My car was bogging. Was sluggish. Turned out it was a bad coil pack.

You can test for a bad coil pack. There is 2 coil pack on the 400. Unplug one coil pack and try to start the car. If it starts the coil pack is good. Then just do the same to the other coil pack.