Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

This car is driving me insane!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 05:16 PM
rblizz24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This car is driving me insane!!

For the past 6 months my '92 sc400 has been out of commission. It's got 220k miles and whenever i start it up it immediately dies. Yesterday i replaced the fuel filter and fixed a vacuum line which had seemed to fix the problem. But, after driving it today for about 15 minutes, it died again when i stopped. i had to drive it the rest of the way home with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake.

As a side note, whenever my foot isn't touching the brake pedal, there is a loud ringing sound. I'm not sure if that has any relevance but the more info the better, right?
I'm seriously about to just sell the car as is, despite how much i want it to work. It doesn't seem to want to no matter what i do. I also have no access to a code reader. The car CANNOT be driven in the state it's in so unless i get it towed (for the third freaking time) taking it to a shop is out of the question as well.

A buddy of mine says it could be the MAF, cam sensor or the fuel pump ECU.
Forgot to mention, the CEL turns on and off seemingly at random.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions? Anything?
Old 05-01-15, 06:28 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default help

Battery voltage must be 11 volts or more. Throttle valve must be fully closed. Transmission must be in Neutral position. All accessories must be turned Off.
On pre-OBD II models, turn ignition to On, then use a jumper wire to connect terminals TE1 and El of the data link connector, located under the left hand side of the instrument panel. Codes are indicated by the number of flashes of the check engine warning light.

Im willing to help. I'm a technician here in texas. get the codes from the computer, write down which blinks occur and let me know. ill look the info up and let you know asap.
Old 05-01-15, 07:19 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Can you keep the engine running with a slight pressure on the gas pedal? If yes then check your IACV.

If you have multiple codes, you will see a longer gap and the additional code will be displayed. Once all additional codes are displayed (through the blinks) the cycle will start with the first code.

Salim
Old 05-01-15, 09:02 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what ringing sound? when the car is moving or stopped? that sounds strange.. elaborate.

and yeah, check the codes in the ecu and report back.