Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What kind of spark plugs does the sc400 use from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 07:51 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of spark plugs does the sc400 use from the factory?

i installed some champion platinum plugs on my sc about a year ago now. I've been reading that iridiums are better for certain cars and certain brands are better. My question is what metal and brand Plugs are the 1uzfe designed to use?
Old 04-23-15, 07:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

they originally came with platinum plugs because at the time Iridium was not available yet, so the only options were copper and platinum. platinum does not spark as well as regular old copper plugs, but it has a 60k service interval which was desired on a Lexus so they came with platinum plugs with gimmicks like multiple electrodes and stuff to make it sound like its more performance than copper (its not).

Since then though plug technology evolved a ton and we got the Iridium plug. it sparks as well or better than copper, last as long or longer than platinum, and is more resistant to fouling out than any of the other plugs.

This is why I run and reccomend Iridium in all my toyota's, expecially the sc300 where the plugs are not easily accessible that 60k service interval is huge compared to a 15k copper interval. I never liked how these motors run with platinum plugs, they do the job but you are giving up free power and economy vs using Iridium.

a bkr6eix -11 is probably a decent plug for most non turbo motors and low boost turbo cars. a strictly non turbo car could also use a bkr5eix -11 which I believe is the stock Iridium plug for a sc300.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-23-15 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 08:01 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
they originally came with platinum plugs because at the time Iridium was not available yet, so the only options were copper and platinum. platinum does not spark as well as regular old copper plugs, but it has a 60k service interval which was desired on a Lexus so they came with platinum plugs with gimmicks like multiple electrodes and stuff to make it sound like its more performance than copper (its not).

Since then though plug technology evolved a ton and we got the Iridium plug. it sparks as well or better than copper, last as long or longer than platinum, and is more resistant to fouling out than any of the other plugs.

This is why I run and reccomend Iridium in all my toyota's, expecially the sc300 where the plugs are not easily accessible that 60k service interval is huge compared to a 15k copper interval. I never liked how these motors run with platinum plugs, they do the job but you are giving up free power and economy vs using Iridium.
Hmmm. Maybe I should get some iridiums. Could platinums ever lead to knocking (detonation)?
Old 04-23-15, 10:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

they can foul out easier but chances are if youa re getting knocking with good fuel then you have carbon deposits built up and need to clean the pistons out, seafoam or water steaming it may help but both have possibility of hurting the motor if not done correctly.
Old 04-23-15, 11:43 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

they can foul out easier but chances are if youa re getting knocking with good fuel then you have carbon deposits built up and need to clean the pistons out, seafoam or water steaming it may help but both have possibility of hurting the motor if not done correctly.
Thanks for the info
Old 04-23-15, 12:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

try running a fuel system additive through the tank, it can help with light deposits. if you use shell gas alot try the premium they have some stuff in there that will help clean out things.
Old 04-23-15, 10:13 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

try running a fuel system additive through the tank, it can help with light deposits. if you use shell gas alot try the premium they have some stuff in there that will help clean out things.
Yeah the reason I ask is because I keep getting a knock semsor check engine light. A year ago I replaced both knock sensors. I'm wondering now if it might actually be knocking. I Replaced the plugs in September 2013 and seafoamed shortly after. Ive never heard a audible knock, but I will try new iridium ngk plugs and do a fuel and intake cleaning.
Old 04-24-15, 08:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

on the sc400 I think what happens is the wires going to the knock sensor can go bad. have someone follow the wires all the way up to the sensor and check for frays or tears or melted spots. I bet thats your problem if you replaced them and the light came back, I have heard of it a dozen times or so, there is even a thread trying to find a new knock sensor harness to buy but it seems repair is the easiest option.

1uz's hardly ever knock unless something is seriously wrong or its seriously gunked up with carbon. I am going to guess you have the bad wire on one of them.
the light comes on more when there is a problem then vs actual knock. for actual knock the ecu would just pull timing and you would not get a visual indication at all.
Old 04-24-15, 09:46 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

on the sc400 I think what happens is the wires going to the knock sensor can go bad. have someone follow the wires all the way up to the sensor and check for frays or tears or melted spots. I bet thats your problem if you replaced them and the light came back, I have heard of it a dozen times or so, there is even a thread trying to find a new knock sensor harness to buy but it seems repair is the easiest option.

1uz's hardly ever knock unless something is seriously wrong or its seriously gunked up with carbon. I am going to guess you have the bad wire on one of them.
the light comes on more when there is a problem then vs actual knock. for actual knock the ecu would just pull timing and you would not get a visual indication at all.
Yeah im thinking it is the wire. But just really don't want to take the intake manifold apart again haha