Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T with JDM TT ECU - MAP Sensor voltage problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 10:54 AM
dubseven
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA-T with JDM TT ECU - MAP Sensor voltage problems?

Hello all - just picked up a 95 SC300 with an NA-T setup. Previous owned modified the harness and installed an SAFC along with a JDM Aristo TT ECU.

The car stopped running well, and the SAFC shows some bunk MAP sensor values. Turns out, the MAP sensor input pin on the ECU outputs 5V, even with the map sensor disconnected, and the wire de-pinned from pin 62 on the ECU.

Is this a sign of a failed ECU, or something else?

Last edited by dubseven; 04-09-15 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 08:35 AM
dubseven
Driver School Candidate

Anyone?
Old 04-09-15, 08:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think I know the car you are talking about, pretty sure it had a bad map sensor or wiring, could be ecu also hard to tell, I forgot if it outputs 5v with the map disconnected or not, someone else was asking me this on supraforums and I was supossed to check but haven't had time, will try later today. I know there will be voltage on it with nothing connected I just forgot what that voltage was, it was over a year ago I troubleshooted mine. was it running ever when you got it? so it just started happening?
also what coil setup is on there. if its got the GM lq9 coils on there you probably want to remove that stuff It is hard to use with the aristo ecu (needs IGF simulator and things get complicated), if that is the case consider installing vvti coilpacks on it to simplify things.

any more info on the setup, engine bay pics might help along.
Old 04-09-15, 09:29 AM
dubseven
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it was a local car. It has Toyota COP setup. Was for sale forever. I fiddled with the SAFC and it runs for a second then dies, assume because the MAP values are whack?
Old 04-09-15, 10:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah I just helped someone trouble shoot something almost the same and I was right it was a bad map sensor. I think they likely let the wires touch each other and that spells disaster for the map sensor. I think I even told them to be carefull with those wires like a year ago when they asked for my help (if its the same car) but they kept trying to add things that complicated the setup and it never ran well as far as I knew.
does it still have a front facing intake manifold on it.

Pm me where you are located. sounds like a bad map but if that doesn't work for some reason maybe I can give you a hand if you aren't to far away from denver.
normally with a bad map the car will start but often not want to idle, or idle choppy while backfiring / spitting out extra gas i.e. black smoke out the tailpipe.