Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

there's no turning back now

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-03, 10:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking there's no turning back now

I've bought a T04E-60 turbo
I've bought a used 1G DSM BOV
I've now just bought a new S-AFC

I guess there's no turning back is there?
Old 03-20-03, 10:50 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Careful - I had a bunch of parts too. Then the ride said bye bye. Sold the parts. Then came around to one already set-up. Funny how things work. Congrats though. Whose manifold are you going to run?
Old 03-21-03, 05:11 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bean, a man after my own I forced myself to do my motor swap, by pulling the GE motor before I even had the GTE Things can take a turn for the worse, like awj said, but you've been waiting to do something for a long time, so I'm confident your plans won't change.

Good luck!

Chris
Old 03-21-03, 06:25 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bean--- congrats.. Yes. you have a few more parts to buy. I'll keep an eye out for any manifolds. That will be your main concern.

AWJ--- what is your setup? I remember you selling your car, but didn't know that you had a boosted SC now.
Old 03-21-03, 08:23 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I plan on running a Deltagate wastegate

and I'm not quite decided on the manifold, whether to have my own fabricated at a local shop with a tig welder or purchasing one...

going to run stock compression for now with lower boost... and run prolly RX-7 T2 injectors

i won't mind only making 300-350rwhp, but hot damn it'll be fun and MUCH faster than my little 185 or whatever i'm making now
Old 03-21-03, 11:25 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Don't go with a delta wastegate. i've personally broken 2 of them from regular usage and my buddy have destroyed a couple of them also. it seems the best cheap wastegate on the market would be tial. let me know i you need one. i get a pretty good price on them. i belive the 35mm tial is $225. not 100% sure on that price since its been a while since i checked. shoot me an email or a pm if intrested.

~Kevin
Old 03-21-03, 02:16 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I've got two friends that have had success with Deltagates... you can find em 100-150 used... i've heard bad things happen when boost is cranked up on them tho...

i don't plan on running more than 10psi at all...

and i'm thinking of selling the T4 turbo and buying another one; because i got such a good deal i could make some more money
Old 03-21-03, 09:14 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

SC300T: I mentioned it a couple times. It is an older toyomoto built car. More conservative. Internally gated, records say TO4B but I suspect it is a t3/t4 hybrid possibly to T04B specs. Stock fuel, tt pump, two aux injectors, haltech f5, carbon kevlar clutch, stock compression. It needs a little work to bring back to a good presentation engine wise. Runs strong, needs steering pump and tranny front seal. Rest of the car is very clean. I won't have time until the end of summer. If you are available then, I'd like to get some input from you. Maybe we can meet out at edgwater or one of the CSS meets or something. I'd like to high boost it with someone that has a little more experience to help detect detonation.

Last edited by awj; 03-21-03 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-21-03, 10:16 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Scott, remember that conversation way back about completely disconnecting both O2s from the car and running directly off of the fuel maps on the ECU?

i remember you saying it gave crappy gas mileage... would it be possible to lean it out for light throttle use with my newly bought AFC?
(i plan on installing it as soon as i get it just for the little extra power hehe)
Old 03-22-03, 11:12 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't have time until the end of summer. If you are available then, I'd like to get some input from you. Maybe we can meet out at edgwater or one of the CSS meets or something. I'd like to high boost it with someone that has a little more experience to help detect detonation.
AWJ:
---Sounds good. I'm glad to hear that you have the building blocks in place. I assume your engine is holding compression? That's the main thing. Everything else is just tuning and tinkering. I'm up and running just fine except can't pass emmissions test with my old cat (ran race gas through it). 155 HC, limit on this car is 110. When you're ready, just e-mail me scott@datapathusa.com.

Bean:
I've thought about that a number of times. I think you could get the map to be very close. In the absense of a valid 02 signal, they've sorted the ECU's stock maps to be pretty darn close to ideal (was a bit rich if I remember). The S-AFC should work out, and perhaps run the car smoother than if closed loop. (When you pull the 02 sensor, the ECU goes open loop and reads tables). If you install bigger injectors, you'll have a more difficult time because you'll be farther away from the table settings and the AFC isn't THAT fine in its adjustability. It still won't approach the accuracy of an AEM / Wideband 02 combo. A wideband will nail the a/f to what ever you dial in. Another Q: why are you buying an S-AFC now when you've still got to get the manifold and piping? Isn't that the only thing holding you back?

Just my .02 on the 02.

Oh, one other thing. On the way in, encountered a way hopped up 4dr mid 90s Galant VR-4. Very nice car huge exhaust. Guy said he laid down 350 at the wheels. He said "Im not gonna get beat by a Lexus"
Old 03-22-03, 06:26 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

bought the AFC because i got a helluva deal on it normal price is like $300 new... i got it for $240 new... gas mileage when tooting around town is important to me so i plan on using that route
Old 03-22-03, 06:44 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

bean, i thought that you were outta work. thats the way to do it. i got my car when i was "between" jobs too. never looked back.....

Doc
Old 03-23-03, 09:22 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

i got work; just wasn't much of it... recently got my hours bumped up and i'm making some side money on ebay now... so there's a bit extra to spend
Old 03-23-03, 10:14 AM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

I might have a Toyomoto manifold for sale if you're interested...its HPC Heat Coated. I'll let that go for $850 and that'll include an SP downpipe and dump tube for the wastegate.

+ shipping of course
Old 03-23-03, 10:44 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

on the subject of rx7 injectors, will the gen 2 rx7 460 cc injectors fit the ge? I know everyone says the turbo models injectors fit. but was curious about the NA.

Quick Reply: there's no turning back now