Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car shakes in Drive -need assistance-

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 11:40 AM
Mastana
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car shakes in Drive -need assistance-

Hey guys I own a 98 sc400 and i was driving to work the whole way there my car was driving smoothly and when i got to the parking lot, right before i was turning into my parking spot i hit the brakes and my car felt like it was hesitating back and forth for a movement. It was like a vibration and my car was in drive. I parked my car turned off the car and went to work. I got out of work and i drove home and it drove fine. It vibrates a little when its warming up but other than that it went away. I also drove today and i felt nothing. I'm bringing it to a trusted mechanic ASAP. If anyone has any ideas what it could be i would greatly appreciate any help.
Old 03-08-15, 01:51 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine or tranny mounts?
Old 03-08-15, 04:50 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your coilpacks and spark plugs. Next up would be engine and transmission mounts. Although the former would probably result in a check engine light or two.
Old 03-08-15, 04:52 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have some kind of a vibration myself in drive when stopped, only happens when I get on it a few times. Other than that it's good to go.
I can't tell where it's comin from, if it's a front or back or what, but suspecting it's the wear part driveshaft coupler or carrier bearing, could be a trany mount too, but doesn't bother me cuz me goin manual.
Old 03-09-15, 07:58 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Engine or tranny mounts?
I felt that was it, im getting it checked out tomorrow thanks

Originally Posted by GISguy
Check your coilpacks and spark plugs. Next up would be engine and transmission mounts. Although the former would probably result in a check engine light or two.
Spark plugs i changed to NGK iridium last year and they are fine, idk about the coilpacks. I am getting it checked out tomorrow. thanks man

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
I have some kind of a vibration myself in drive when stopped, only happens when I get on it a few times. Other than that it's good to go.
I can't tell where it's comin from, if it's a front or back or what, but suspecting it's the wear part driveshaft coupler or carrier bearing, could be a trany mount too, but doesn't bother me cuz me goin manual.
Nice ! Goodluck with the swap bro put up pictures. If i find out ill post it up thanks though
Old 03-10-15, 02:06 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the engine mounts, but the tranny mount will look ok until its taken out. Then you'll see that its likely completely disintegrated.
There are a number of threads all which say to change out the tranny mount regardless whether you think it needs changing or not. The car runs MUCH better once this is changed out, I can definitely attest to that.
Old 03-10-15, 02:57 PM
Mastana
Rookie

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Not sure about the engine mounts, but the tranny mount will look ok until its taken out. Then you'll see that its likely completely disintegrated.
There are a number of threads all which say to change out the tranny mount regardless whether you think it needs changing or not. The car runs MUCH better once this is changed out, I can definitely attest to that.
Yea definitely, It happened to me again today when i stopped at a light except it wasnt as bad of a vibration as last time. I turned my car off and on and it was good to go luckily i was 1 block away from my house. Im hoping its the transmission mount, since its an easy fix but tomorrow ill find out and ill keep it posted thanks
Old 03-11-15, 03:24 PM
Mastana
Rookie

I just went to the mechanic today and he told me that its not my any of my mounts and that all my mounts are in good condition. He also said that my drive shaft is "do- able" but that wouldn't cause a vibration when i stop. Its also not any misfires and my coilpack are fine. They just dont know what it could be this is another mystery along with my poor MPG problem that ive had for a year. It might be linked but at this point i feel like getting rid of this it. Its really frustrating.....
Old 03-11-15, 04:05 PM
SCDWP
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a mystery let us know when you solve it