Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Adding coolers? Oil, trans, diff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 06:23 PM
Funnyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding coolers? Oil, trans, diff?

So from what I've read these cars don't get overly hot, but my question is for the turboed ones what's the temp of the oil is an oil cooler needed? Same for trans or diff? my car isn't going to be purpose built its a weekend warrior maybe a couple of track days or drift events and of course the occasional launch lol. Do these cars generate enough heat after installing a single turbo to justify an oil cooler?
My goal is 500-550whp if it accounts for anything
Old 02-17-15, 11:10 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Funnyman,

For a highly modified car that sees a LOT of track use I've read a few threads on SF suggesting that an oil cooler mounted in the driver side fender helps. Similarly for cars set up for serious and continuous track use a small cooler in the same location to cool the power steering fluid helps (similar to how a Soarer/MKIV SMIC is positioned on the passenger side fender well). On the street it's not likely you'll boil over your PS fluid. With an aftermarket MKIV radiator you will need an external transmission cooler anyway if you are running an automatic. Stu Hagen and FLZ_Boy threads (on SF) notably detail setups like these for their Supras that see more track time than street time.

Since you said you're not building an all out track car I wouldn't be concerned about going as far as to cool your differential or PS fluid. They are fine as is for street cars.

As to the single turbo requiring an oil cooler question I am going to have to leave that to more qualified members to definitively answer but in general an oil cooler cannot hurt at all and it should be noted that all GTE engines came with factory oil coolers circulating around the oil filter area. Good luck!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-17-15 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 06:04 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

My only concern is oil not running at optimum temp while on the street
Old 02-18-15, 06:32 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Funnyman
My only concern is oil not running at optimum temp while on the street
Put a thermostat so much so that oil will only go through the cooler at a certain temperature so oil will always be on the right temp capable of burning moisture / condensation so it doesn't remain in the system and get into the bearings.
Old 02-18-15, 07:02 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

Originally Posted by gerrb
Put a thermostat so much so that oil will only go through the cooler at a certain temperature so oil will always be on the right temp capable of burning moisture / condensation so it doesn't remain in the system and get into the bearings.
Good idea I'll look into it thanks
Old 02-18-15, 08:53 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

You said a couple track days and drift events.

My answer would be yes to an oil cooler and yes for a PS cooler. I know a few guys who drift and they all boiled over their PS fluid. All the turbo guys run oil coolers as well. If you get an oil cooler kit with a built-in thermostat, you won't need to worry about overcooling the oil.
I'm not even turbo and I have a HKS oil cooler sitting in my room for springtime. Meanwhile, I'm having a hard time figuring out a size for the PS cooler. From what I can find I'll need something about the size of a 5 row
Old 02-18-15, 08:55 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I don't think you need to worry about a manual trans or diff cooler unless you were building a full blown track car.

If you're auto, then yes you WILL need a trans cooler.
Old 02-19-15, 10:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I run my turbo without an oil cooler and it seems be tough on the oil, I only use full synthetic the other stuff breaks down even faster with na-t setups.

there is a factory gte oil cooler that is integrated into the gte oil filter housing that can be used on our cars if you hook up custom coolant lines, but many gte owners say this type of cooling is not that effective above stock form and to just get an aftermarket oil cooler setup with the thermostat as mentioned above, and they actually use the 2jzge oil filter housing and an aftermarket cooler setup to delete the factory gte watercooled oil cooler setup. on na-t you have the right filter housing (the plain one) so its just a matter of installing an oil cooler kit, mount radiator and run lines.

when you use the aftermarket radiator and lines, the oil temp isn't limited by coolant temp like the factory setups and the coolant is not heated up by the oil, keeping them separate systems which is desired when pushing more and more power.
Old 02-22-15, 12:30 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

For the sake of the discussion, here is a link to a similar thread subject that popped up a few days ago on SF. Keep in mind that MOST of the posters are starting with a 2JZGTE with the aforementioned integrated water cooled oil cooler. They're discussing external oil coolers for the most part, which is still what most of us would be considering if we were going NA-T. Also, a lot of their discussion is canted in favor of vehicles taken to the track more than the street.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-an-oil-cooler

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-22-15 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-23-15, 06:33 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys I was going over placement and ducting yesterday at the shop. Looks like I'll be making some coolers after all thanks
Old 02-24-15, 11:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah lots of people put them in the area under the drivers side headlight there is a "power steering cooler" which is just your power steering line bent around. plenty of space there to squeeze in a cooler, but maybe mount the intercooler piping first so you don't have any conflict there.
Old 02-24-15, 01:27 PM
Funnyman
Rookie

As far as intercooler piping im not concerned as I will be v mounting it so I may run oil cooler on one side and ps cooler on the other

Last edited by Funnyman; 02-24-15 at 01:34 PM.