Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Door interior trim panel reassembly

Old 01-28-15, 10:06 PM
ifr2lax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door interior trim panel reassembly

The previous owner of this 92' SC400 removed all the upholstery panels on both doors. Also he lost the armrest bolsters. Been looking for a exploded diagram of the door trim and all parts.

Trying to put the drivers side upper window surround and main panels back on.
Obviously ONE problem is the missing ARM REST bolsters. So for now the switch assembly is going to hang there.

BUT it seems the "switch panel assembly" wiring harness it too short...hard to think it is but is this a REALLY tight fit?.

Trying to pull the switch holder through the hole in the door panel and out far enough to get it into the bolster wiring harness just seems too short...not likely unless the main door panels are NOT the correct 92' SC parts.

Anyone recognize the door panel as the correct piece...? the hole seems too low for the length of the wiring harness...again, not likely but has me wondering.

OK if the door panel was popped into place the extra inch closer to the door may be all that is needed, but with the bolsters added on sure won't be much slack.

Anyone know if the window trim goes on first? or does sequence of assembly matter?

Any ideas or recent experience with this job?

Thanks, Pete
Attached Thumbnails Door interior trim panel reassembly-92-sc400-window-and-mirror-assembly.jpg   Door interior trim panel reassembly-92-sc400-window-mirror-aseembly-wiring-harness.jpg   Door interior trim panel reassembly-92-sc400-door-trim.jpg  
Old 01-28-15, 11:50 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

the armrest piece covers that big hole then the switch pannel snugs into a hole in the armrest piece. looks like you're only missing the armrest pieces/screws.

the switch harness is normally pretty short. not much slack to work with, but the switch panel can be disconnected by the white and blue connectors.

imo, the tan panels are dime a dozen you can easily find some cheap maybe even in better shape, check some local junkyards/craigslist part-outs.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...el-repair.html

In this awesome thread, O.L.T. shows how to repair if the plastic tabs break, the first few photos show how the panel comes apart and how short the switch harnesses are. most likely the reason why yours are missing.
Old 01-29-15, 11:12 AM
ifr2lax
Driver School Candidate

Stone,

Thanks for the post and reference to the thread...that thread has GREAT photos which is what I need along with a reassurance the wiring harness is tight but doable.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...el-repair.html

Had some concern the panels that came with car were not correct...stranger things have happened.

Thanks again.
Old 01-29-15, 06:25 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

wow. haha. I just literally finished installing my door panel that I took apart today to dye. lol. if I would've known I would've taken a video to show you. but not to fear, I have another door panel for the passenger side that i'm doing the same thing too. so i'll take a video when I do.