Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help please! car acting very strange!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-15, 09:41 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that thing is toast, its not only leaking its a bad leak that has fully leaked out, your car must have been acting funny for a while not. I would find a good used ecu and have that one rebuilt so it doesn't happen to that one also.
rebuilding this one will be hit or miss, just depends on the extent of things that have shorted out and how the board traces have held up.
Old 02-10-15, 08:22 AM
Scjunky94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
that thing is toast, its not only leaking its a bad leak that has fully leaked out, your car must have been acting funny for a while not. I would find a good used ecu and have that one rebuilt so it doesn't happen to that one also.
rebuilding this one will be hit or miss, just depends on the extent of things that have shorted out and how the board traces have held up.
Car was fine when I bought it but started acting up about a week or two after owning it. It may have been the loose wire I had found that was rubbing in my timing belt and over time fried it. Ordered a new computer that was rebuilt and will be receiving it tomorrow. will update once I install the new ecu and give it a try
Old 02-10-15, 10:40 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It was not anything frying it, the old capacitors fail all the time, they only last like 25 years or so anyways and some much less than that due to being parked outside, damp weather, or it just gets hot from long drives under the carpet. eventually everyone's will go bad unless they have it serviced.
Old 04-17-22, 12:35 PM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Where is the ecu located?
Old 04-18-22, 05:49 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHarris
Where is the ecu located?
Passenger side of the car under the carpet directly under the glove box area. Carefully remove the plastic trim that runs along the lower door opening area with a small flat head screwdriver that can pop out the catches (you want to preserve your plastic trim).

The carpet is held in place with more catches the must be released. Carefully peel back the carpet to a point and you will see a very hard black plastic panel at the end of the footwell. Two 10mm nuts hold it down at the bottom edge. Remove those and you’ll be able to shimmy the cover off.

The ECU is the largest metal box you will find under there. One connector for it comes off by releasing its locking tab. The other needs a short 10mm socket wrench to loosen the connector enough to lift off from the ECU which can then be removed from the car.

ALWAYS to this only after having disconnected your battery.

Additionally, I recommend getting some clear shipping tape and putting clean strips of that over the identifying label on your ECU’s front panel. This is so as to stabilize the writing on the label so as to prevent it from rubbing off over time because Toyota used thermal printed stickers on their ECUs. It’s important to always be able to identify what factory Toyota/Lexus part number is on an ECU in case a spare one needs to be found, etc.