Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering whining, vibrating and shooting fluid out reservoir! Pump is OK!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 10:30 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Power Steering whining, vibrating and shooting fluid out reservoir! Pump is OK!

Hi,
I have some power steering drama. My power steering has been occasionally pulsing hard when I turn the wheel when sitting still or parking the car. If feels like the power assist is pulsing on and off quickly when i turn the wheel. This did not happen when driving the car above 5 or 10 MPH. Yesterday I started the car and there was a noise. The wheel was mostly hard to turn but got easy for a second at a time while making hella noise. While the car was running, I opened the reservoir to check fluid and it **** 2 feet up in the air. The ATF was seriously frothy. It was incredibly turbulent in there and I had to immediately put the cap back on and clean up. I made it to the shop and they said it was the pump, they replaced the pump and said it's doing the same thing. The rack is pretty new as I replaced it 6 months ago. They said the high pressure hose looked OK. They mentioned a solenoid on the rack but could not find one. If its doing the same thing with a new pump in, what could this be?
Old 01-24-15, 11:23 AM
99custom
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks for sure. These PS pumps seem to be the weak link on these cars. I replaced my pump and lines about 5,000 miles ago. I went with an aftermarket one at first, and it died within 2 days. So i had my factory one rebuilt with OEM parts and everything works great again. Hopefully you can track down the exact problem.
Old 01-24-15, 11:46 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Lord. Never a happy day when our women get sick.

Will be watching to see what this could be. Learn something new and ish.

At east you have 2 other women to drive and this problem is still small, compared to power train and electrical issues.

Stay strong my friend.
Old 01-24-15, 11:53 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 99custom
That sucks for sure. These PS pumps seem to be the weak link on these cars. I replaced my pump and lines about 5,000 miles ago. I went with an aftermarket one at first, and it died within 2 days. So i had my factory one rebuilt with OEM parts and everything works great again. Hopefully you can track down the exact problem.
I have 2 OEM pumps to rebuild as well. I'm going with the rebuilt one for today but will rebuild both my OEM pumps and replace the rebuilt one. Thanks Man!

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Good Lord. Never a happy day when our women get sick.

Will be watching to see what this could be. Learn something new and ish.

At east you have 2 other women to drive and this problem is still small, compared to power train and electrical issues.

Stay strong my friend.
Zulu,
I'll report back when I know whats fully up. I'm not sweating it at all man. My shop will sort it out. I don't fix anything myself during the NY winters. I just pay, LOL
Thanks Zulu!!
Old 01-24-15, 11:59 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. Winter times and no heated garage means I'm stuck paying for labor. Not that I'm a mechanic/technician (that's next in my to do lists).

But simple stuff like brakes, wheels, suspension, some interior do-dads, etc.

But sure, keep me posted. This is an interesting problem on hand. Makes you wish this was the 50s-60s, before PS!
Old 01-24-15, 12:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Exactly. Winter times and no heated garage means I'm stuck paying for labor. Not that I'm a mechanic/technician (that's next in my to do lists).

But simple stuff like brakes, wheels, suspension, some interior do-dads, etc.

But sure, keep me posted. This is an interesting problem on hand. Makes you wish this was the 50s-60s, before PS!
My wife and I just bought a place. We have two spaces in the heated garage in the basement. After years parking on the street or parking in a lot when I can't find a space, this is as exciting as the apartment to me! The only downside is that the Co Op board does not allow repairs in the garage.
Old 01-24-15, 12:44 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Thread moved to maintenace.

I just got over my Power steering ghosts after replacing the rack...as to your issue, there is a possibility that the solenoid (or power steering pressure solenoid...?) OR the EVO (electronic variable orifice) is the culprit...both are the same solenoid mounted on the rack, on the drivers side. Nearly impossible to remove without removing the rack.

Test the solenoid...
Old 01-24-15, 04:12 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Thread moved to maintenace.

I just got over my Power steering ghosts after replacing the rack...as to your issue, there is a possibility that the solenoid (or power steering pressure solenoid...?) OR the EVO (electronic variable orifice) is the culprit...both are the same solenoid mounted on the rack, on the drivers side. Nearly impossible to remove without removing the rack.

Test the solenoid...
Thanks for the move. I should have known where it went

I will check them.

Thank You!
Old 01-24-15, 06:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
The only downside is that the Co Op board does not allow repairs in the garage.
Yes, but do the rules cover mods?
Old 01-25-15, 07:11 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I have some power steering drama. My power steering has been occasionally pulsing hard when I turn the wheel when sitting still or parking the car. If feels like the power assist is pulsing on and off quickly when i turn the wheel. This did not happen when driving the car above 5 or 10 MPH. Yesterday I started the car and there was a noise. The wheel was mostly hard to turn but got easy for a second at a time while making hella noise. While the car was running, I opened the reservoir to check fluid and it **** 2 feet up in the air. The ATF was seriously frothy. It was incredibly turbulent in there and I had to immediately put the cap back on and clean up. I made it to the shop and they said it was the pump, they replaced the pump and said it's doing the same thing. The rack is pretty new as I replaced it 6 months ago. They said the high pressure hose looked OK. They mentioned a solenoid on the rack but could not find one. If its doing the same thing with a new pump in, what could this be?
Just had the same problem with my SC. The pump started winding and fluid foaming out of the reservoir. I read some other threads here on the board about the filter in the reservoir being clogged. I took that off, sure enough It was clogged with old gunk. After cleaning it, this didn't totally resolve the problem. Because the winding reoccurred about a week later.
Here are the additional steps I did to solve the problem.
1st Clean the reservoir (remove from pump, clean reservoir and replace The O ring oil seal on bottom too.
2nd replace both low pressure rubber return hoses, these may be dry rotted ( one attaching to pump reservoir and the other hose from the rack to the hard line by the engine block).
3rd. Check the vacuum assist switch. If the body of the switch moves on the metal attaching point or you cannot pull a vacuum seal on either ports unplugged. The switch is bad. replace switch or plug the line and hook the vacuum lines together to by pass the switch.
I replaced my switch and the car steers like new.
Old 01-26-15, 04:31 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by red93sc
2nd replace both low pressure rubber return hoses, these may be dry rotted ( one attaching to pump reservoir and the other hose from the rack to the hard line by the engine block).
3rd. Check the vacuum assist switch. If the body of the switch moves on the metal attaching point or you cannot pull a vacuum seal on either ports unplugged. The switch is bad. replace switch or plug the line and hook the vacuum lines together to by pass the switch.
I replaced my switch and the car steers like new.
I'll call the dealer about those hoses today. I hope they stock them.
What did they charge you for your vacuum assist switch? Please explain red comment in greater detail.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by GSXMike

I also replaced the hard lines and rubber lines that go from the reservoir to the cooler lines in the wheel well and then the one line that goes to the rack. I tried to just replace the rubber hoses with some rubber hose at the local auto parts store but the bend is too sharp and the hose was kinking so I had no choice but to suck it up and get those hard lines and specifically formed rubber hoses from the stealership which was like 180 bucks if I recall correctly. They wouldn't sell me just the rubber hoses. One of them it came with a barbed banjo fitting pushed on it already.

It sucks how they don't sell just the rubber hoses. After all was said and done though there is finally no leaks. New ps reservoir cap too cause the old one the rubber was brittle and fluid leaking past it.

One thing I did not do which I was not aware of at the time was take apart the actual reservoir and remove the filter screen and clean it then reassemble so that is in the list to do one day. There is a thread on here, someone did it and posted pics (thank you to him for that).

I also had the high pressure line rebuilt, they basically cut off the banjo fittings and braze them onto new tubing that has new fittings crimped on new rubber hose.

The end result is no leaks and my wallet empty. The steering wheel is not as easy to turn at idle as before even though I kept the sensors and vac lines like oem, but I'm tired of trying to get it absolutely perfect. It feels new and tight and no leaks so I'm happy with it.
I have a new pump in already. I'll try having them clean the reservoir filter today. I have the replacement Sc400 Driftmotion SS line somewhere but they said my HP line was dry.

How many lines hard/soft return lines are there to replace? I want to make sure I get them all. I'm not totally sure what to ask for.
I'm getting it but still a bit confused as to what to do to fix this.
This is turning into a pricy issue.

Thank You All!
Old 01-26-15, 08:23 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

"3rd. Check the vacuum assist switch. If the body of the switch moves on the metal attaching point or you cannot pull a vacuum seal on either ports unplugged. The switch is bad. replace switch or plug the line and hook the vacuum lines together to by pass the switch."

I think he's talking about the VSV which increases power steering assist at low speeds and sometimes goes bad, contributing to pump failure. I'm not familiar with the part about it moving about and that having anything to do with it failing. Some people bypass it and just have a single stage power steering assist. I think there's a thread somewhere on what size bolt to plug the hole with, if doing so.
Old 01-28-15, 10:09 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

The vacuum assist switch and the solenoid on the rack are two different parts right? Or are they the same part with two names?
Old 01-28-15, 10:17 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The vacuum assist switch and the solenoid on the rack are two different parts right? Or are they the same part with two names?
They are both different. The solenoid is otherwise known as the "EVO" or PS pressure solenoid. The vacuum assist switch is more likely to go out than the solenoid but it still is possible that the solenoid failed. Your PS system will do really odd things if the solenoid isn't working right, as I've learned.
Old 01-31-15, 02:01 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SC400slide
They are both different. The solenoid is otherwise known as the "EVO" or PS pressure solenoid. The vacuum assist switch is more likely to go out than the solenoid but it still is possible that the solenoid failed. Your PS system will do really odd things if the solenoid isn't working right, as I've learned.
SC400slide,
I tried a replacement solenoid and it did nothing. I am going to find a vacuum assist switch and see how that works out. The shop mentioned a power steering "computer" or "ECU" not getting power properly so they tapped another power source and that reduced the turbulence a bit. I have never heard of a power steering computer or ECU but there is a major language barrier so I'm not sure I am explaining what he found accurately. I'll stop by and ask again.

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 01-31-15 at 02:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering whining, vibrating and shooting fluid out reservoir! Pump is OK!