Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need More NA power before I go NA-T

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 01:56 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
You just need the subframe mounts and endlinks.
^^ This is correct. TT sway bar, TT sway bar end links and TT subframe mounts. And the inexpensive U-shaped bushings with bolts. Also the bushings for the sway bar of course.

Originally Posted by crenfro
Why? Why do you need more NA power before turbo? There's literally no point as the price to results are not worth it. Don't worry about doing any kind of engine work because MAYBE you'll get 5-10 hp max from NA upgrades.

Just go ahead and turbo man, it's so worth it and these jz's love boost! Save yourself the headache of trying to squeeze power out and start the turbo build!!!

GL
I hate to say it but this is the truth. You can have plenty of fun on NA power while beefing up the rest of the car but there is very, very little additional horsepower to be gained with traditional NA modifications. The JZ engines aren't like B-series, K-Series, 5.0L or LSx naturally aspirated designs. Even the factory air intake box is superior to an aftermarket setup while NA. An exhaust system frees up a a tiny bit, sure but it's the sound you'll change more than your acceleration (and that's not a bad thing).

There is a build on SF detailing an MKIV NA Supra getting full NA treatment with a custom ITB injection, a mandrel bent header, built head for a significantly higher redline, higher compression pistons, aftermarket ECU and dyno tuning... at a very high cost rivaling any 500whp GTE single turbo build. So far he's made 241whp with the big draw being instant throttle response. Stock, our cars put out 180whp. The owner in question is very happy and NEVER intends to go turbo. He's not chasing numbers and wants a unique car. There are perhaps five such NA builds worldwide with that much dedication and cost. And you'd have to undo all that work and start from scratch to go turbo on such a built NA car.

Also for reference, most bone stock 1JZ-GTE's dyno around 250whp (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

OP, you should do what makes you happy and what enhances your car to your liking but if you are planning on going with a turbo build... try to stick to your long term goals. NA modifications and turbo modifications are two completely different contradictory directions.

Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to be in the "nothing until everything" club. I think every member here knows that frustration all too well.

I maintain that SC300's can be a lot of *fun* to drive with other enhancing modifications even with just the stock 180whp engine.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-17-15 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Corrections to specifics written late at night while tired
Old 02-18-15, 08:42 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

I agree with KahnBB6. Focus on other aspects of the car that will improve how your car drives.
I have a 1997, and where I live I have emissions. That pretty much makes going turbo NOT an option until I can find a way around that. So, to feed my car habit I've focused on other parts. Suspension is pretty much DONE except for solid bushings. I've got a good aftermarket clutch, lightweight flywheel, lightweight accessory pulleys, HKS twin power, Ultra ignition wires, and a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting right now since I havn't even started my car in a month.
Let me tell you, my car is fun to drive. I've also got interior mods as well as a few exterior, so the combination of everything keeps me loving every minute of my car. Even if I can't ever go turbo.
Old 02-20-15, 12:34 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Very much agreed with your opinions, Brian. Paying thorough attention to setting up the rest of the car makes far better use and control over the stock engine power and is applicable and sometimes mandatory for any turbo build.

As for emissions... Illinois regulations can't be as strict as we have it in Cali (or New York in the OP's case). I'm sure there is a way you can achieve that goal semi-reasonably in your state.
Old 02-20-15, 07:03 AM
Funnyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You actually can turbo your car all you need to do is find a tuner that can tune for emissions there are other options like getting a different ecu specifically for emissions .. Now in Illinois they just plug into the obd port they don't care enough to check the car out as long as all your systems are good you'll have no problem passing emissions
I have plenty of customers with no cats and high horsepower passing emissions
Old 02-21-15, 04:39 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I can get into trouble quick if I don't let go of the gas pedal with the 5 speed NA.
Maybe I'm getting old now? If anything I cannot stop the damn 3500lbs of car . Any option to enhance brakes for 15" stock rims?
Old 02-21-15, 05:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
If anything I cannot stop the damn 3500lbs of car . Any option to enhance brakes for 15" stock rims?
I thought stockers were all 16"?

The SC400 brakes would be an easy and cheap upgrade that would fit 16" wheels, since many get discarded in favor of LS/TT setups, but if you do indeed have 15s you might be in uncharted territory ... much like me with the sway bar test.