Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Eating water pumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 05:26 PM
brodpphish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eating water pumps

I have a 1992 SC300 5 speed. About 1 year ago (138,XXX miles) the original water pump went out. I had it replaced and within 6 months or so the weeper valve on the replacement part started leaking (around 141,000 miles). The shop redid-the work under warranty, good for me.

Now the second replacement is weeping as well, the car is currently back in the same shop.

Any ideas on what is going on? Or more importantly how to fix this?

I have owned this car since 2006 and it is immacualtely maintained. I aslo have a 1993 5 speed SC300 thta has been preformance tuned, I've owned that one since 1996.

I am a newbie to Club Lexus. However I have an "A" body Mopar and a Titan 4x4, those forums have been very helpful when I was in need.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-18-15, 06:02 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi brod!! And welcome buddy!!
I would only use quality water pumps on these 2jzge engines, like toyota factory ones are the best if you want to spend the buck,( most shops will install the cheapest one they can possibly find to make a buck off ppl, which use poor quality bearings and they usually don't last as long as toyota quality ones.), but the only other thing I can think of, is belt being too tight putting too much pressure on one side of the bearing and it will wear it out fast.
On the other thought I didn't know there was a valve in the pump
May be someone can help with more knolledge than I

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 01-18-15 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-18-15, 07:01 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Parroting what Lexxium is saying, my original water pump was replaced and the shop used a cheap version; it lasted only 13 months (and I drive the car only once a week or so). I no longer use that shop.

The shop that replaced it even commented it was the cheapest water pump they had seen and assured me the next one will last a lot longer.... Relative to other parts, makes no sense to save a few bucks on the delta versus a quality pump given how critical it is for these engines.
Old 01-18-15, 07:02 PM
brodpphish
Driver School Candidate

Lexxium - thanks so much. And actually I am not certain its a valve but it is a pressure relief system in the casting itself - it may just be a certain thickness metal on the end of the tube designed to blow at a certain pressure point. (the tube itself part of the pump casting, on the bottom left of the pump as you face the engine, facing down so the coolant goes straight to the ground).

You may be onto something with the cheap parts theory. The shop told me they had a hard time finding the pump, doubt it's Toyota.

I'll call them in the AM to see if they can get a Toyota part and make certain the belt is tensioned correctly.

Thanks Duck05 just saw your comments as well.

Anything other input?
Attached Thumbnails Eating water pumps-img_2256.jpg   Eating water pumps-august-2013-015.jpg  

Last edited by brodpphish; 01-18-15 at 07:11 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 01-18-15, 10:56 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Timing belt tensioner sets the tension, so there are no adjustments that can be done. You can always purchase a new tensioner.

There is no high pressure and low pressure sides of the coolant circuit. Pump does create a differential to produce a flow, but the differential is low. Unless the output is clogged. I stuffed rags in the pump outlet hole to prevent the old FIPG that i scraped and I did remove it on mine.

Salim
Old 01-19-15, 08:36 AM
brodpphish
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all for their input. I called th eshop and told them they likely need to use a Toyota OEM water pump. % minutes later they called back and said their diagnostice technician has just come up front and came to the same conclusion.

It sounds like they are going to do the work under warranty.

Hopefully problem solved. I really enjoy these cars, I will become a more active memeber of this forum.

Thanks to all who responded so quickly.
Old 02-03-15, 06:39 PM
brodpphish
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the lare reply, I just moved after living in the same house for 25 years. Lots of work even with professional movers.

Anyway the shop that did th ework replaced the water pump with a Toyota part at no cost to be, 100% covered under their 12 month parts & labor warranty.

Thanks to all who responded.