Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Let's talk about SC400 Ignition Coil Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 01:35 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the connectors came in today.

They didn't fix my problem.

Here's where I'm at now:
Newer caps/rotors, new coils, new plugs/wires. I'm going to guess it's not an ignition issue.

The engine idles at a constant RPM. There's a very slight vibration at idle. If I add throttle slowly, there's a more pronounced vibration. It seems to clear up in the higher RPM range. If I put the car in drive or reverse and lightly hold the brakes, the vibration is enough to make the car shake a little bit.

I'm at a loss. Can't imagine what else it could be. I can barely hear what sounds like an exhaust leak under the car right behind the front wheels. Even if that's what the sound is, I don't think an exhaust leak would cause shaking and vibration under acceleration, would it?

Would it be possible that in the 30ish miles of driving my car with no coil, that the cat crapped the bed and that's what's causing my issue now?

Last edited by MongooseGA; 01-05-15 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 01:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Broken record... I'd be shocked if it isn't your IAC Valve. Your symptoms match mine to a tee.

If I put the car in drive or reverse and lightly hold the brakes, the vibration is enough to make the car shake a little bit.
That's the part that finally convinced me to take a closer look a the IACV. When you're on the brakes, i.e. no throttle unless doing some crazy heel-and-toeing around town, it's the major component in passing air to the engine. I was more inclined to think it was a TPS issue before looking at it that way.
Old 01-05-15, 01:57 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by t2d2
Broken record... I'd be shocked if it isn't your IAC Valve. Your symptoms match mine to a tee.

That's the part that finally convinced me to take a closer look a the IACV. When you're on the brakes, i.e. no throttle unless doing some crazy heel-and-toeing around town, it's the major component in passing air to the engine. I was more inclined to think it was a TPS issue before looking at it that way.
Did you have a thread for this? I'll start doing some research on it tonight. I always thought a bad IACV would cause erratic idle. Guess that's not the case.
Old 01-05-15, 02:04 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

It's spread across multiple troubleshooting threads as I chased down various hunches...

My idle was very steady, aside from when it would get the shudders like you described. When the IACV becomes problematic, I think it's mostly a matter of being slow to respond, which fits my theory that cleaning/lubing or replacing the bearings is more significant that cleaning the shaft and tip. That bogged down feeling would seem to be a result of it not opening or closing quick enough to keep the engine happy with no or light throttle.
Old 01-05-15, 02:06 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

It's spread across multiple troubleshooting threads as I chased down various hunches...

My idle was very steady, aside from when it would get the shudders like you described. When the IACV becomes problematic, I think it's mostly a matter of being slow to respond, which fits my theory that cleaning/lubing or replacing the bearings is more significant that cleaning the shaft and tip. That bogged down feeling would seem to be a result of it not opening or closing quick enough to keep the engine happy with no or light throttle.
What about when you got the engine to higher RPMs? Did it get smoother? Did you still have power while driving?

I was able to spin the tires the other night with the same issue. It was perfect when I first got on the highway after swapping all of the plugs/wires, but within a little bit reverted back to the hesitation. Light throttle brought up shaking and vibration, heavy throttle seemed to power right through it.
Old 01-05-15, 02:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yeah, it always smoothed out over 35-40 mph, or ~1400 RPM, depending on the amount of throttle. There was never any loss of power evident. Like you, I could usually push through it if I gave it more throttle up front, but even so, I could usually feel a bit of the grumbly hesitation. Then it would be fine for a few days and make me question my sanity.
Old 01-05-15, 02:21 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Yeah, it always smoothed out over 35-40 mph, or ~1400 RPM, depending on the amount of throttle. There was never any loss of power evident. Like you, I could usually push through it if I gave it more throttle up front, but even so, I could usually feel a bit of the grumbly hesitation. Then it would be fine for a few days and make me question my sanity.
Exactly what I'm getting. Even if it's not jerking, I can still feel a little bit of 'grumbling'. I've driven this car for ten years, I can just start it and feel when something is off. Were you able to hear a very slight 'chugging' from the exhaust, almost similar to a very mild cam when yours was bad? I have a full aftermarket exhaust so maybe it's more pronounced than it would be if it were stock. Did your car throw a CEL with the bad valve? FWIW, mine has no CEL showing.

What, if any, are the negative aspects of driving with a bad IACV? Fuel mileage loss? Any additonal build up? Additional heat being transferred anywhere? Is there a way I can test mine with a voltmeter maybe?

Last edited by MongooseGA; 01-05-15 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 02:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Were you able to hear a very slight 'chugging' from the exhaust, almost similar to a very mild cam when yours was bad? I have a full aftermarket exhaust so maybe it's more pronounced than it would be if it were stock.
I never noticed that, but then I've got a bit of heat shield vibration around the center of the car (got my new y-pipe recently to replace the center pipe and resonators soon, to go along with the axlebacks already installed, so will be looking into quieting that down), and I usually have the stereo on. Between the two, it would be tough to hear anything abnormal going on with the exhaust, even if I knew what to listen for.

Did your car throw a CEL with the bad valve? FWIW, mine has no CEL showing.
Nope, no CEL. The valve passed all the diagnostic tests, so the ECU saw it as working properly as far as the electrical connector signals and the valve responding from full open to full close according to the test sequence of terminal taps. Obviously, it lacks a feedback signal to know that the valve is responding as fast as it should...

What, if any, are the negative aspects of driving with a bad IACV? Fuel mileage loss? Any additonal build up? Additional heat being transferred anywhere? Is there a way I can test mine with a voltmeter maybe?
Not sure. I just fixed mine on the last fill-up and filled up mid-tank with a friend's 8+ gallons of gas he needed to dispose of before it sat for too long (couldn't use it on any of his cars), so it'll be awhile before I cycle back through with a full tank or two to test mpg on.

You can test it, but it's a pretty intricate test procedure and probably won't tell you anything... Here's the mini-guide I linked to in my IACV post mentioned earlier in the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post5781310
Old 01-05-15, 02:52 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Thanks for the info. I took some videos earlier of the car to show some of the symptoms.

First one is just me backing down my driveway about 30 feet or so. The shakiness in the video is caused by the very mild 'bucking' that happens when I hold the brakes and let the car move without throttle.

Second one is just a little bit of revving to give an idea of the sound I'm getting when adding throttle. It's very slight, and difficult to hear, but it's there in the lower RPMs and mostly goes away as the engine speeds up. Turn up your speaker (because the exhaust sounds pretty sweet, too )

Old 01-07-15, 06:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

man that coil connector was super broken never really seen one that bad. surprised it didn't fix the issue to be honest. have you done the rotors in the distributors yet? if not thats probably the culprit. they start to act funny now and then as they get worse then they will just go out and sometimes on sc400's they sort of disintegrate. worth a check on the problem side at least. you can bet the other one will be just as good/bad.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8250/8...51501585_c.jpg

your idle rpm's look perfect for a mostly warmed up car. your iacv is likely working just fine I wouldn't take it apart to be honest after looking at the video. is the idle higher when its cold, likw 1100-1300? if it is then its doing what it should do I wouldn't mess with it.

I couldn't hear anything in the video, can you take another go at describing the problem.
almost sound like you might have just broken a motor mount or something.
Old 01-07-15, 06:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Sounds like Ali and I need a friendly wager.
Old 01-07-15, 07:17 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
man that coil connector was super broken never really seen one that bad. surprised it didn't fix the issue to be honest. have you done the rotors in the distributors yet? if not thats probably the culprit. they start to act funny now and then as they get worse then they will just go out and sometimes on sc400's they sort of disintegrate. worth a check on the problem side at least. you can bet the other one will be just as good/bad.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8250/8...51501585_c.jpg

your idle rpm's look perfect for a mostly warmed up car. your iacv is likely working just fine I wouldn't take it apart to be honest after looking at the video. is the idle higher when its cold, likw 1100-1300? if it is then its doing what it should do I wouldn't mess with it.

I couldn't hear anything in the video, can you take another go at describing the problem.
almost sound like you might have just broken a motor mount or something.
Rotors are new, as are the caps. New within maybe 20k miles. The engine does idle high when cold and comes down as it warms up.

I could see the motor mount idea, but the way the rough feeling came in then went out, came in then went out pretty much rules that out for me. It's gotta be something electric or a moving part of some kind.

Sounds like Ali and I need a friendly wager.
Wager the cost of the repair for the car for me.
Old 01-08-15, 08:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

just mentioning the mount cause I have seen a few sc400 with broken motor mounts. people think its rough idle issues but if you think about a motor thats balancing on 3 points and then you take one of them away its going to move around and vibrate especially idle right off idle. when you step on it you won't notice it until the other one breaks, and that would be bad. I am not sure if there is a quick test or not, if I think of anything else I will let you know. I know 99sc42 has replaced them several times maybe he might be able to give more of an idea of what its like.

Your car has pretty low miles and with the big exhaust it seems to sound good in the video. sounds a touch rich at times but thats exactly what i would expect from that modification.
Old 01-08-15, 07:21 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
just mentioning the mount cause I have seen a few sc400 with broken motor mounts. people think its rough idle issues but if you think about a motor thats balancing on 3 points and then you take one of them away its going to move around and vibrate especially idle right off idle. when you step on it you won't notice it until the other one breaks, and that would be bad. I am not sure if there is a quick test or not, if I think of anything else I will let you know. I know 99sc42 has replaced them several times maybe he might be able to give more of an idea of what its like.

Your car has pretty low miles and with the big exhaust it seems to sound good in the video. sounds a touch rich at times but thats exactly what i would expect from that modification.
I don't suspect motor mounts because this issue existed, then I swapped out plugs and wires and it went away, then after driving for a little while it came back. If the motor mount caused it, it wouldn't have gone away.

A buddy of mine also thinks there's a fuel issue. Could be either bad gas (which I've had before and I remember the can ran rough for a through the whole tank) or a fuel pressure issue. I just did the 12V fuel mod a few thousand miles ago, I'd be very surprised if it caused the pump to go bad already. Plus, the fact that the problem went away and came back...

I'll check out an IACV; they're cheap and easy to swap. Buddy wants to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car to test that theory as well. I'll also go a head and put in the new fuel filter I've had in my garage for a few months...
Old 01-08-15, 08:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
I'll check out an IACV; they're cheap and easy to swap. Buddy wants to put a fuel pressure gauge on the car to test that theory as well. I'll also go a head and put in the new fuel filter I've had in my garage for a few months...
I hope your car is more cooperative than mine was for changing the fuel filter and teeing in a gauge in the engine bay. My factory lines for both were basically welded on at the fittings from whatever %@!$ goop they use. Made for one helluva mess.

The only thing that sucks about changing the IAC Valve on yours is you have to drain the coolant, since the whole assembly has to come off, not just the valve like with the serviceable ones.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about SC400 Ignition Coil Connectors