Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Screeching noise after new Rack and pinion

Old 01-01-15, 03:43 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Screeching noise after new Rack and pinion

92 SC400

Replaced the worn out leaky rack with an Autozone rack. PS pressure solenoid didn't come with replacement so I installed it on the new one. Filter looked fine. I start the car and there are 2-5 seconds of silence, regular idle, then the PS pump starts grinding/screeching and there is a scent of burnt something. I did NOT flush the system because the hose was stuck on the reservior, I'd have to destroy it to remove it and I don't have a replacement (and the car has been on jacks for a week). The reservior fluid level goes UP after the car is turned off. Leave it to sit, it goes down. Bubbles like crazy. Air leak?

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by SC400slide; 01-19-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-01-15, 04:00 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

So now it's leaking ATF from the rack, I think the lower line...is there a special gasket that i was supposed to install? There was only a copper gasket ring that came out with the line.
Old 01-02-15, 01:26 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Whining noise is coming from the pump. Meaning there's air in the power steering system. You need to bleed the PS system.

Leaking from the rack problem. There's should be two copper/crush washer on each side of the hose. Also check if your PS pressure hose is leaking. Common problem also.
Old 01-02-15, 01:35 PM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there should be a gasket that goes around the feed line to the pump that fits around the banjo fitting.
fix leaks first!

i would suck out all the old fluid first. then refill. DO NOT put on cap . start car and turn steering wheel slowly from full left to right this should clear out air. add fluid as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Screeching noise after new Rack and pinion-pump.gif  
Old 01-02-15, 01:45 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Thanks for the assistance guys.
Originally Posted by k7q
Whining noise is coming from the pump. Meaning there's air in the power steering system. You need to bleed the PS system.

Leaking from the rack problem. There's should be two copper/crush washer on each side of the hose. Also check if your PS pressure hose is leaking. Common problem also.
It's not a whine at this point, it's a solid grind. I'll check out the hose. I know that just about every PS hose is seeping something, it's a MESS underneath the engine. This made replacing the rack slightly more difficult.
Originally Posted by kornpeef
there should be a gasket that goes around the feed line to the pump that fits around the banjo fitting.
fix leaks first!

i would suck out all the old fluid first. then refill. DO NOT put on cap . start car and turn steering wheel slowly from full left to right this should clear out air. add fluid as necessary.
I didn't touch the PS pump or the hose, it's leaking from the lower feed line on the rack...which does have 2 brass gaskets.

I also was not able to flush the system due to the reservior hose being stuck on the inlet. If I were to remove it, I'd destroy the hose essentially.
Old 01-02-15, 03:21 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Both feed lines are tight and have gaskets, yet it seems they are leaking...the wires for the PS pressure valve are exposed...(the plastic came off the wires themselves)...what would happen if the pressure valve wasn't working correctly?

EDIT: Just checked to see if the pressure solenoid was working properly. (by turning the key and listening to the click) ands it clicked so it's working fine.

Last edited by SC400slide; 01-02-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 03:54 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you replace the o-ring on the solenoid?
Old 01-02-15, 04:58 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by k7q
Did you replace the o-ring on the solenoid?
The rack came with the ring pre-installed.
Old 01-03-15, 11:04 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Both feed lines are tight and locked with the brass crush washers on both sides yet it seems they're leaking. This doesn't make any sense...air has to be getting into the system somewhere on/around the rack but everything seems to be tight? Any other ideas? This issue has to do with the rack because I didn't mess any hoses up and the car didn't have this issue beforehand...

How long should the car be running to get *most of the air out of the system? It was running for a good 15-20 seconds and the PS pump was grinding 100% straight through the entire duration...
Old 01-03-15, 11:11 AM
kornpeef
Rookie

did u turn the steering wheel while the car was on. you have to do that in order to get the air trapped in the rack out.
Old 01-03-15, 11:13 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Yes I turned the wheel all the way from one side to the other and the screeching from the PS pump didn't stop...
Old 01-03-15, 11:55 AM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Just to clarify....

The hose connections with brass washers have 1 (one) brass piece each, right?
Old 01-03-15, 12:28 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

I looked to make sure and I can see one brass washer on both sides of the feed hose. Are they really that necessary that the lines will leak badly if those are missing? Thanks for the input
Old 01-03-15, 04:35 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I looked to make sure and I can see one brass washer on both sides of the feed hose. Are they really that necessary that the lines will leak badly if those are missing? Thanks for the input
Wanted to make sure it hadn't doubled up on brass fittings when putting it on.
Old 01-05-15, 08:41 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Would love some input as I have no idea of what the issue could be...I'll be removing the feed lines and checking the brass gaskets fitting, and maybe even remove the solenoid and/or tighten it...other than those two things, I literally have nothing else I can do to fix the leak. My SC has been on the jacks for over a week now...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screeching noise after new Rack and pinion