Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil on Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 01:33 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil on Spark Plugs

So I changed my spark plugs recently, and found oil on plug #2, 5, and 6.

This means I need a new Valve cover gasket correct? If I do replace my valve cover gasket what else should I replace or inspect while I'm in there?

Also I found this washer in the gulley for plug #5, any idea where it came from or why it was there?

It was just sitting there, and made me think my spark-plug was stripped because I couldn't grip onto it with my ratchet. I was honestly about to give up until I took a picture of it to see if anything looked weird, and woila, there it was. Could it have caused any damage by sitting down there when the car was running?
Old 12-19-14, 04:01 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone with any advice about the Valve Cover Gasket?
Old 12-19-14, 04:05 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that it in the center? Is the plug still in?
Old 12-19-14, 05:59 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bankswood
is that it in the center? Is the plug still in?
Thats it in the center, and no it's not still in, I removed it with a magnet and the plug came out fine once I figured out what was blocking me from removing it. Cars back together and driving, I'm mainly just curious about the Valve Cover Gasket job an what else to look at when I go in there.
Old 12-19-14, 06:44 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Damn! That is weird. I drive a 400 so not really versed on the 300. Does the 300 have spark plug gaskets on the value cover to protect against oil leaking in.
Old 12-19-14, 07:44 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bankswood
Damn! That is weird. I drive a 400 so not really versed on the 300. Does the 300 have spark plug gaskets on the value cover to protect against oil leaking in.
I don't know, but I believe it does not have spark plug gaskets, but I'll be finding that out sometime this spring when I do the Valve Cover Gasket.
Old 12-21-14, 05:33 PM
Dayton92
Driver School Candidate

Dude that "Washer" is your Piston seal. it would be a good idea to replace your gasket, but not before having your engine serviced by a certified toyota/lexus technician. Good Luck
Old 12-22-14, 04:13 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dayton92
Dude that "Washer" is your Piston seal. it would be a good idea to replace your gasket, but not before having your engine serviced by a certified toyota/lexus technician. Good Luck
It looked like a regular washer to me.
I tried searching for info about the "piston seal" but I really couldn't find anything, could you give me some more guidance as to what this part is, and where it goes? I'm not terribly convinced right now, and I have no intention of taking it to a mechanic. I've never taken it to a mechanic since I've owned it, and no intention of doing that.
If you have more info though I would love to read it, also still looking for more info about what else to do while in there for the valve cover gasket which is most likely the cause of the leak around the 3 spark plugs. So far it doesn't look like there was much more to get down to the valve cover gaskets as all I need to do is remove the Y-piping on the intake manifold to pull the valve covers up. Seems silly to pay a shop $700+ for something I could do in a couple hours on a day off. I don't make that much money in a day at my job, and I'd rather know the job was done right than to wonder what was done and if it was done properly.

Maybe do you mean piston rings? Because the piston rings on this car look nothing like that washer.
Old 12-24-14, 09:49 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I would do the distributor O-ring if you havent already..while you are in there.....

That washer though seems kinda strange....

Check out my build thread on first page.....I showed pics of when I did my valve cover gaskets when I had GE
Old 12-24-14, 10:59 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I would do the distributor O-ring if you havent already..while you are in there.....

That washer though seems kinda strange....

Check out my build thread on first page.....I showed pics of when I did my valve cover gaskets when I had GE
My distributor cracked and was leaking oil around january, so I got a brand new distributor and o-rings about 5k miles ago.
I checked your thread out and a few others that came up in a search a few days ago for pictures and got a decent idea of what to do, seems like I was only a few more steps away from them when I was doing the spark plugs, just remove EGR, and get the y-pipe tilted back enough to unbolt the valve covers and pull them up then gaskets are right there correct?