Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My BFI mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 08:39 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My BFI mod

So I have decided to join the ranks of the BFI DYI'ers . I have studied this for the past couple days and have decided to proceed. Yesterday I cut the air box, removed the snorkel, and made the cardboard thingies( can't think of the right term atm). When I get off work today I'm going to get some plastic and foam and finish this puppy. I am expecting good things. Oh btw I drive a 95 sc300 I read on another build thread someones post that a bfi was useless on this model because of heat issues or something. I disagree, as long as I seal the air box properly and insulate it I should be good..we shall see..we shall see. Comments and criticism welcome
Old 12-10-14, 08:48 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Air box cutout and snorkel removed
Attached Thumbnails My BFI mod-image.jpg  
Old 12-10-14, 08:51 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Cardboard thingies they have been tweKed a little since theses were taken

Last edited by Rickbean; 12-10-14 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 09:01 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Side plate cardboard thingie
Old 12-10-14, 09:04 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Other side plate
Old 12-10-14, 09:30 AM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Whats your opinion on the results of the BFI for your sc300?
Old 12-10-14, 09:51 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Can't say for sure definitively as I'm not done. I presume that as long as I insulate effectively it should be good to go.
Old 12-10-14, 10:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it makes a big difference. the better you do with the plasitics the more it will draw air from the headlight area and thats more cold air so its going to run stronger.
Old 12-10-14, 10:17 AM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Can you guys post a video? Im thinking of doin this because i picked up and extra air box from a doner.
Old 12-10-14, 10:34 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any thoughts on removing the air resonators hanging of that mass of tubing on the intake? as air passes them does it cause a vaccume? I replaced mine with aluminium(they were cracked), and now looking at baffling the airbox next.
Old 12-10-14, 10:36 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by 962jzsc415
Can you guys post a video? Im thinking of doin this because i picked up and extra air box from a doner.

I can if u really want. Though all u need to do is a little legwork on the internet and u can find all Info u need to know. But since I am going to be finishing this mod today I can make a video yo help a brother out.
Old 12-10-14, 10:38 AM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rickbean
I can if u really want. Though all u need to do is a little legwork on the internet and u can find all Info u need to know. But since I am going to be finishing this mod today I can make a video yo help a brother out.
Thanks man.... the clips i found online did no justice to for this mod
Old 12-10-14, 10:40 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by ems
any thoughts on removing the air resonators hanging of that mass of tubing on the intake? as air passes them does it cause a vaccume? I replaced mine with aluminium(they were cracked), and now looking at baffling the airbox next.

I have not considered this before thanks..would this make the intake sound better I wonder? I will have to look I to this and see what I can find tonite...
Old 12-10-14, 10:46 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it makes a big difference. the better you do with the plasitics the more it will draw air from the headlight area and thats more cold air so its going to run stronger.
Hey Ali, is there seriously relatively a difference doing the BFI mod? Cause from my understanding, if you don't Dyno the car and it's still in stock ECU and not stand alone(where you're in control of the tuning of the engine) then no matter how much air or fuel you try to get in your engine, the ECU will always compensate on what it thinks is just the right amount? Or else, by doing the BFI mod, then your engine would also consume more gas than normal? Am I wrong for thinking this way?
Old 12-10-14, 12:44 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I cut the resonator off my intake pipe on my 400, nothing in terms of performance, sound however. Huge difference. I cut the box part off then reused some plastic from it to cover the hole that cutting it off made. Then sealed it with silicon, haven't had any issues since July when i did it, or maybe august, don't remember exactly. Sounds great though.

Ignore the chirping, my belt does that after rain for some reason, then goes away after 5 minutes of driving.

SC400 simple intake mod: http://youtu.be/zkQdmWCQiFY

Quick Reply: My BFI mod