Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-14, 08:16 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

there was a company that made a 1uz single turbo kit in las vegas, Nevada. I remember a while back they was a vendor here on club lexus. forgot the company name. they installed the kit on a LS400.
Old 12-01-14, 02:47 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Kits are expensive

*****, just read this thread...Yep, the cars are cheap to buy and used parts are cheap in some cases. New parts seem to be going up as the dealer supply dwindles. I have been in the SC game a very long time, I still love the SC and I still have my twin turbo V8 SC400. It is in the shop right now, being completely repainted.
1- Any turbo kit, or sc kit would be expensive. I thought about building them myself and passed as the average SC owner will not spend the money necessary to buy such a kit. Especially one built correctly.
2- The easiest is the sc way...KC did come up with a centrifugal set up that works well
3- The single is easier than the twin, an OG did his car like that some years ago but I am not sure what became of it.
3- Twin is most difficult and expensive. I know...

The SC is expensive to simply bring back up to stock, OE condition...That should be done first so the car is right. Then the power after.
  • No room where the cats are for turbos unless you cave in the floor boards along the tunnel significantly...Trust me, I looked into that.
  • No Room for twin DP's on both sides as the driver side AC and steering column are in the way. Have to eliminate AC or do what I did and merge (2) short DP's into a single mid and route around passenger firewall and shield alternator heavily. Space is very limited so a round 4" mid will not fit until under the car. An oblong will but is exceptionally expensive made from high grade stainless.
  • The 1UZ is not as stout as the 2JZ and will need to be built to handle the increased power and torque from the FI.
  • The compression of the stock engine is 11.0:1, if I recall correctly...Way to much for any real boost. You will need to lower compression by swapping the pistons/rings out for lower compression such as 8.5:1.
  • The connectiong rods in the 1UZ are not built for FI. There are a few that have added FI without changing the rods and have bent them...One I believe was at 500 HP or so.
  • The heads on the older 1UZ are not the best flowing...You really should port and scuff the intake and port and polish the exhaust ports.
  • You will need to address the inherent weakness of the stock transmission by building it or swapping it. A solid build is $3,500, a swap to a 6 speed is expensive and time consuming.
  • You will need engine management for the FI and the transmission if you stay auto...Wiring that up and tuning is on top of the cost to buy the ECU.
  • You will need to replace all the-sub frame mounts to handle the power and torque.
  • While you're at it, change out all the control arm bushings...All of them, not just the bottom front and rears.
  • You will need a new rearend.
  • You will need some sort of coilovers.
  • You will need better brakes such as big brakes.
  • The turbo kit would need to include a lot of basics so it can be rather turnkey, except for the installation and tuning, so it will be pricey.
  • All the plumbing necessary to build the turbo set up is custom, and pretty much one-off.
There are many more details to list than this...And, I know not everything I just listed is part of a "kit" for FI'ing the SC V8. But still, it is a monumental project and not for the weak at heart or the budget minded car owner. It is very expensive..A lot more than the cash value of the car itself. If any want to do it, go for it! I am in your corner, but building a kit? An inexpensive one that is somewhat of decent quality and reliability? I do not see it. Plus, I simply do not see the demand.

Just sharing from my "years" of experience on this subject matter, not trying to discourage anyone from FI'ing their SC V8, or from building a kit. I see it as a never going to happen wish. V8's are just plain expensive to add FI, especially correctly done.

If you want a FI SC, get a 2j or a 1j, build that project and call it a day. They will still cost you bunches of dollars if done right, but not nearly the headache of doing the V8. My son wants to FI his V8 SC400. I keep recommending he find a 1j or 2j. If he insists on moving forward, I won't help him with a Twin V8 unless he has all the cash saved in advance, and another car as a daily...

Just a thought, or two...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 12-01-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 08:00 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Ryan, thanks for that post. It's going at the top of my notes on why not to go FI, in case the temptation ever grows too strong! Back to adding lightness...
Old 12-01-14, 01:33 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
Ryan, thanks for that post. It's going at the top of my notes on why not to go FI, in case the temptation ever grows too strong! Back to adding lightness...
I love the SC. Love it. But think about all the cash you can spend on a 20 year old car that has an insurance value of no more than $8k to $10k at most, for a 2000 model. Most of these cars are not in the best condition because they were built so well and are so forgiving...So, you have to rebuild them from the ground up if you want them to be anywhere near new because each prior owner probably just drove the heck out of it, changed the oil/filter, air filter, gas and tires. So to make it drive like it did originally, replace, replace replace parts. Even the interiors are shot in most of them unless you find a rare one that has been restored or babied to death. To FI the V8 right, especially if you don't do all of the work yourself, you will spend $20-$30k. No bank will finance that car or the FI, so it is cold, hard cash coming out of your pocket. To insure it for it's value after all this, you need specialty insurance, so you can't drive it daily or to work. You can do it on the ultra cheap, but the chances are the interior is kind of ratted out, the paint is not so good, the door panels are falling off or about to because they crack so much, the AC vents, especially the center one crack, etc, etc. Again, I am not being negative or attempting to discourage anybody.

But consider this...What can you buy that already has relatively high power, fun appeal, curb appeal, sex appeal and you can finance and insure for most of what you will spend? Plus, it already has off the shelf mods in the box, tried and proven waiting for your hard earned cash? Plus still have that new car look, feel and smell? Consider that before you build your SC.

Ryan
Old 12-01-14, 06:49 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey Ryan thanks for taking the time man , I actually remember your car and had your twin turbo set up.

My dilemma is , (and its a good dilemma) , is that I had a very blessed year financially. So ive been bouncing around and very seriously considering other cars to get into.

I first became obsessed with the C5 vettes, and I came within an inch of buying one that had headers, intake and upgraded clutch and flywheel installed, I made a mistake not buying it as it was a great price, but oh well.

The vettes, look good, are powerful , have a fairly reliable engine, but are built like a dodge neon, especially the interior , its pretty bad.

I then got serious about the 03-06 CL Mercedes, I test drove a cl600 v12 twin turbo at the dealer, car is amazingly affordable to buy, 500hp stock, a quick ecu reprogamming brings it up to 620hp , the power is just unreal I never felt anything like it , but......... its a benz, and after weeks of serious study , the car is pretty much a lemon that will give u nothing but problems and suck your bank account dry, so I passed.

I was into the sc430's for a while, they have ZERO upgrading capability as well, so I got bored and moved on.

So after all that I find myself starting to like these SC's again, and im not looking for crazy power, I know the 1uz and its trannys cant hold all that much, but 350hp with a Nissan 6 speed would be pretty cool .

Anyways where I am now is just waiting for the right car to come my way , either a C5, a low mileage 5 speed 1jz soarer, id still consider a benz if the price was right , or I might stay in the sedan game and upgrade to the ls460.

I don't see any point in buying another SC if theres no way for me to bolt on some kind of power.

Time will tell but im staying active in my research
Old 12-01-14, 09:56 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
  • No Room for twin DP's on both sides as the driver side AC and steering column are in the way. Have to eliminate AC or do what I did and merge (2) short DP's into a single mid and route around passenger firewall and shield alternator heavily. Space is very limited so a round 4" mid will not fit until under the car. An oblong will but is exceptionally expensive made from high grade stainless.
Ryan
Interesting, and take that as grain of salt. Ryan good to see your project come together so nicely.
Do you mind if we discuss your experience with the fabrications of different pipes in further details?

1) If you look at the factory twin turbo cars such as Subaru WRX, they uses twin oblong (2x4) downpipes with the cemented flange.
Do you have a source for this for the 1UZ when you looked into it early on? Would be interested in pricing and availability.

I guess where the down pipes cross path with the headers (after bypassing the AC and steering columns), this is were it all comes
together, and we realize just how tight of a fit we are really dealing with[1]:

Also, I had to look at your build again to refresh my memory, and I always wanted to ask on what the reason was for overlapping the two downpipes.
into the mid. If you could do it differently, would you have just gone with a standard Y shape pipe, or dual oblong (oval) pipe.

I have a customers car here, and we are about to fab the piping for the car then I saw this thread. Would really appreciate your input.

1) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...age-ii-33.html

Last edited by rollexus; 12-03-14 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-02-14, 04:41 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
if the turbo kits were made for these cars there would be a HUGE demand for them.

Theres a lot of v8 1uz guys out there that would jump on it right away
That might not be the case with the 1UZ turbo. I had a few individual requests to build the single turbo manifold kits including wastegate & downpipe (minus turbo and intake piping) for the SC400 and when I quote them $5000, they all backed out. The price is relatively cheap for what it is comparing to these advantages: will retain the A/C, keep the downpipe on the passenger side and will run to the rear to keep the ground clearance like stock, professionally ceramic coated and no heating issue. It's a lot of work and not easy at all. I think it's fair for both sides for that price. Unless making several kits at the same time, then the price might drop. However, I'm not looking into doing that now. Too busy with a new kid and work.
Old 12-02-14, 05:11 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
That might not be the case with the 1UZ turbo. I had a few individual requests to build the single turbo manifold kits including wastegate & downpipe (minus turbo and intake piping) for the SC400 and when I quote them $5000, they all backed out. The price is relatively cheap for what it is comparing to these advantages: will retain the A/C, keep the downpipe on the passenger side and will run to the rear to keep the ground clearance like stock, professionally ceramic coated and no heating issue. It's a lot of work and not easy at all. I think it's fair for both sides for that price. Unless making several kits at the same time, then the price might drop. However, I'm not looking into doing that now. Too busy with a new kid and work.
5K is 1K short of general market price for a complete setup.
Old 12-10-14, 06:33 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

well I really wanted to get back into these cars, unfortunately theres been no 5 speed soarers popping up in my province for over a year now.

And the sc400 as weve discussed isn't really going to make any real power without major work.

So..... I ended up grabbing this Beauty .

Its the rarer Fixed roof coupe also known as the FRC, black on black , 80 000 miles - 6 speed

Its a great car but in all honesty , even a 92 sc400 is much better built then these cars. This car has the super nice exterior styling and powerful engine + tranny but the interior leaves ALOT to be desired.

Thanks for all the info guys
Attached Thumbnails Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?-20141209_235030.jpg   Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?-20141209_213635.jpg   Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?-20141209_235110.jpg  
Old 12-10-14, 09:52 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rollexus
Interesting, and take that as grain of salt. Ryan good to see your project come together so nicely.
Do you mind if we discuss your experience with the fabrications of different pipes in further details?

1) If you look at the factory twin turbo cars such as Subaru WRX, they uses twin oblong (2x4) downpipes with the cemented flange.
Do you have a source for this for the 1UZ when you looked into it early on? Would be interested in pricing and availability.

Looked at the tubing to come from Burns Stainless...The best out there, but pricey...Still, even with oblong tubing, I do not see the room to run a dedicated DP from the turbo on the driver's side...Too damned tight!

I guess where the down pipes cross path with the headers (after bypassing the AC and steering columns), this is were it all comes
together, and we realize just how tight of a fit we are really dealing with[1]:

You can see from the pic just how tight it is...And that pic also shows that fitting even a small turbo where the cats were will not work. Unless, you really cave in your floorboard. Not a solid or even feasible solution, IMHO...

Also, I had to look at your build again to refresh my memory, and I always wanted to ask on what the reason was for overlapping the two downpipes.
into the mid. If you could do it differently, would you have just gone with a standard Y shape pipe, or dual oblong (oval) pipe.

If I could do it over, I would look into the Y pipe being oval just after coming out of the turbos so there would be a round exit from the turbo with a custom 3" oval merging into to a customer 4" oval mid wrapping around the alternator and transitioning back to round as built. The reason for the overlap was for a better merge...If not, due to turbo sizing and placement in the front of the engine, I would have very short exits in the top of the Y pipe and they would fight each other as the gas escaped the turbos...So the overlap for for the beautiful and well built merge. There should be a pic in the build showing the long merge. But the over lap leaves even less room for the fans...Always a trade off somewhere...

I have a customers car here, and we are about to fab the piping for the car then I saw this thread. Would really appreciate your input.

1) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...age-ii-33.html
Hope that helped...

Ryan
Old 12-10-14, 09:57 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Steve, glad you chimed in...Yours was the set up I was referring to for the single...That is the problem...At $5k, which is a bargain, all parties backed out...And now, that is more than many of the cars sell for. So, I expect even less demand...The SC is big, long, heavy, and not built for the track...Not the best platform to spend crazy money on for performance. So for those that do, it is for the pure love of the car, as it is indeed a dream to drive and cruise in, and a beast once FI is added...And add good traction control, get rid of the TRAC. Without it, the car will be wrapped around a tree or worse...I know...

Ryan
Old 12-10-14, 09:59 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

well I really wanted to get back into these cars, unfortunately theres been no 5 speed soarers popping up in my province for over a year now.

And the sc400 as weve discussed isn't really going to make any real power without major work.

So..... I ended up grabbing this Beauty .

Its the rarer Fixed roof coupe also known as the FRC, black on black , 80 000 miles - 6 speed

Its a great car but in all honesty , even a 92 sc400 is much better built then these cars. This car has the super nice exterior styling and powerful engine + tranny but the interior leaves ALOT to be desired.

Thanks for all the info guys
Nice Vette...Great power out of the gate and tons of aftermarket support ready to buy off the shelf! Much better for the track! If you want the interior, drop $50k on the new Stingray...It is built right! And beautiful, and a true sports car right out of the gate. TT that and it will be an absolute beast!

Ryan
Old 12-11-14, 05:49 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

yea I agree turbo would be better and much more power.

Ive seen a few guys do a supercharger set up from random parts they put together themselves , didn't cost very much either, but I think turbo would be better.

You would think by now some smart guy would of fabricated a kit and made it available.
I don't know why everybody thinks turbo is so much greater than supercharger. My car ran 12.0xx's on a small blower @ about 11psi.

I'm driving around now with a much larger blower capable of 22psi. Haven't run it yet but expecting to run allot faster or blow it up.

Can also be done quite cheap.
Old 12-11-14, 05:58 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I don't know why everybody thinks turbo is so much greater than supercharger. My car ran 12.0xx's on a small blower @ about 11psi.

I'm driving around now with a much larger blower capable of 22psi. Haven't run it yet but expecting to run allot faster or blow it up.

Can also be done quite cheap.
Glad you chimed in KC! Some OG's posting up on this thread!! Yep, your car is awesome, and I believe I did say you did it right! Still, cheap? I don't recall, but if memory serves me, as you went along with your project with trial and then more trial, you had to make many additional improvements to the engine and trans and suspension and brakes, wheels and tires, etc. I believe you added some form of engine management too? If you add that all up, what do you get? Especially on 22 psi?

Ryan
Old 12-14-14, 06:49 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Glad you chimed in KC! Some OG's posting up on this thread!! Yep, your car is awesome, and I believe I did say you did it right! Still, cheap? I don't recall, but if memory serves me, as you went along with your project with trial and then more trial, you had to make many additional improvements to the engine and trans and suspension and brakes, wheels and tires, etc. I believe you added some form of engine management too? If you add that all up, what do you get? Especially on 22 psi?

Ryan
Not to mention a new car since I wrecked the 1st, LOL.

It ($$) has defineatley added up over the years but a simple setup can be done pretty cheap and way easier than a proper turbo setup as I'm sure you can verify.

I will probably never find out what it will do at 22psi as I don't think the motor can handle that much. I should have put rods in it when I built the motor but didn't and have no current plans or money to do so. Probably stick to 15, maybe a little more. More than enough for a daily driver.

I have nothing against a turbo car and your car is way more awesome than mine could possibly ever be. I just think people push the supercharger idea aside too easily and then get discouraged by the complicity of a turbo setup.

Quick Reply: Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?