Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 08:54 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?

Hey guys ,

just wondering if theres been any progress made on supercharger or turbo kits for the 1uz engines for the sc400's?

Been bouncing around and test driving a lot of newer cars cars, im still tempted to buy an older 92-95 low mileage sc400 and turning it into a monster.( widebody-lowered-LOUD- deep dish etc,,,)

Cheap plentiful parts, cheap insurance , bullet proof reliability and being a Lexus guy are a few of the main reasons.

Anyways any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-16-14, 09:04 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a few supercharger kits over seas but those cost a lot of money. You can build a turbo kit pretty easily for the 1uz. I think Lextreme stopped making adapters for their vortech based supercharger setup. Your best bet would be to build a single turbo set up for it. Turbos make a lot more power generally than superchargers do.
Old 11-16-14, 09:17 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maynanator
There's a few supercharger kits over seas but those cost a lot of money. You can build a turbo kit pretty easily for the 1uz. I think Lextreme stopped making adapters for their vortech based supercharger setup. Your best bet would be to build a single turbo set up for it. Turbos make a lot more power generally than superchargers do.
yea I agree turbo would be better and much more power.

Ive seen a few guys do a supercharger set up from random parts they put together themselves , didn't cost very much either, but I think turbo would be better.

You would think by now some smart guy would of fabricated a kit and made it available.
Old 11-16-14, 09:38 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

I think it's mostly an issue of demand. Most guys that want big power go 2jz.
Old 11-17-14, 03:12 AM
acacg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maynanator
I think it's mostly an issue of demand. Most guys that want big power go 2jz.
I agree. all it will take is somebody making a very simple manifold or crossover pipe to meet both manifolds... like 5.0 mustang guys do.

Turbo is definitely the way to go... once I finish a project I'm doing at the moment. I plan to single turbo mine. I'll make a crossover pipe that will meet both factory manifold. once I have my sc apart ill figure out which side ill mount the turbo. The factory manifold will be used mounted facing the front of the car.

Easier said then done but ill def. make a jig once its something that could be made to order.
Old 11-17-14, 07:35 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

the thing is I really don't think its that complicated and the parts are quite plentiful and cheap now.

Im sure there is some custom work that needs to be done but how hard can it really be?

Space for me is not a concern , I will even have them above the engine or back where the cats are , or find a way to fit them in the engine bay.

I guess my only option is to go to a shop that does turbo builds and talk to them about a custom set up.

I almost bought a c5 vette, they are fast and very cool looking but the build quality sucks , ill tell you in all honesty thr sc400 is a much finer car then a c5 corvette in pretty much every way.

I also test drove an 03 Mercedes cl600 , which is a v12 TT, the thing is a str8 up MONSTER, never felt power like that in my life, but after joining benx forums I realize they are simply an unreliable money pit that I just don't want to get into.
Old 11-17-14, 07:36 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

if the turbo kits were made for these cars there would be a HUGE demand for them.

Theres a lot of v8 1uz guys out there that would jump on it right away
Old 11-17-14, 08:49 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

I'm sure that cxracing would design a kit if someone was willing to drop their car off for some time to develop a kit. It seems like they (cxracing) make kits for every car in existence.
Old 11-17-14, 04:35 PM
acacg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob Norwood had built the first twin turbo ISF in this country. He owned for a while then traded in at the dealer where I work. I drove that car a few days. The power was amazing. I cant explain... the way he built the kit was very simple. Turbos were right where our cats are. Im good friends with Bob and ill try to get some help from him on building my manifold setup later.
Old 11-17-14, 09:07 PM
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acacg
Bob Norwood had built the first twin turbo ISF in this country. He owned for a while then traded in at the dealer where I work. I drove that car a few days. The power was amazing. I cant explain... the way he built the kit was very simple. Turbos were right where our cats are. Im good friends with Bob and ill try to get some help from him on building my manifold setup later.
Yea dude I was thinking of this setup! Turbos right where primary cats are. Tap oil from engine (not sure if this will work and be reliable?) and run exhaust to back of car. Simple, not too much piping
Old 11-18-14, 05:46 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penthos
Yea dude I was thinking of this setup! Turbos right where primary cats are. Tap oil from engine (not sure if this will work and be reliable?) and run exhaust to back of car. Simple, not too much piping
Check out the rear turbo build thread, theres a lot of information about this stuff
Old 11-18-14, 07:08 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

eaton m90 is a commonly used supercharger for the 1uz. KC95SC400 has diagrams for a bracket for a vortech supercharger.
Old 11-28-14, 08:40 PM
GloriousSC
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Penthos
That is exactly what I'm planning on doing.

If you run BW EFR Turbos, the wastegates and bov and map sensors are built into the turbo. You wouldnt have to run wastegates and piping for that or find a place for a bov.

The only downsides to this I can find is it will be difficult to:
1. Shield the turbo/piping from getting hit by something in the road. It will need a skidplate of some sort.
2. The mani and turbo is so close to the body, if you ran the car too hard you could catch it on fire/melt something/overheat the trans easily. It will need layers of heat shielding. Ceramic coating, thermal wrap, and heat shielding under the car. My single Supra did that without it even close to the body. I can't imagine it underneath.
3. Possible expensive oil pump.
4. Turbo Intakes if not routed properly will suck up lots of debris. And if it rains, will suck up water as its right behind and next to the front tires. Needs to be routed in the nose of the car with good filters.

Basically you wouldnt want water to even hit the turbo while it is hot might crack the housing. (Caught in rain) It will be pretty difficult to seal it and still allow it to cool off. I'm thinking of making a rain deflector by the tire and a shield by the turbo. I'll have to put a gopro under there now and see what happens now when I drive through water.
Old 11-29-14, 08:39 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Knew you be back *****
Old 11-30-14, 07:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Knew you be back *****
hahah hey Joey !!!

Man ive been bouncing around all different cars, different forums, they all seem to have some sort of reliability issue or some other problem .

These old SC's when modified are still a serious car in my opinion.

I don't understand why there isn't a bolt on supercharger kit yet or even a turbo kit, there would be tons of people buying it im sure.

My other idea is to hold off for a 5 speed soarer with the 1jz, that might be the easiest way to make some serious power.

Quick Reply: Any progress made with 1uz TURBO or SUPERCHARGER kits?