Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz swap oil warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 01:05 PM
driftsc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz swap oil warning light

Hey y'all I'm just about done swapping my 1jz into my sc300. All i have left to do is put the innercooler on and put my exhaust on. When I start the car it runs well for a minuet but then the low oil light turns on ( the yellow one with the wave). I know i have enough oil in the car by checking the dipstick. Is there any other reason this light would be on? Could my oil sensor be broken? Could my wiring be bad? Anything helps! thanks guys!
Old 11-17-14, 06:01 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wiring, But its a simple fix..
Old 11-17-14, 03:38 PM
driftsc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SC42
Wiring, But its a simple fix..
great! is there a thread how to or should i just not worry about it?
Old 11-18-14, 07:54 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finish the swap and ill help you fix it, we just have to move the wire to the correct pin or connector.
Old 11-07-19, 06:09 PM
Rcreegan
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts

Any idea on what the issue was. I’m having a weird issue like this as well. Checked to make sure the wires were good and all works well. Still have a weird orange oil light and a water coolant light. Seems like I need to fix the temp gauge as well
Old 11-07-19, 10:35 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcreegan
Any idea on what the issue was. I’m having a weird issue like this as well. Checked to make sure the wires were good and all works well. Still have a weird orange oil light and a water coolant light. Seems like I need to fix the temp gauge as well
These are two separate issues.

To fix the engine temperature light you need to ground the water temp gauge circuit. This is because the Toyota Soarer 1JZ-GTE cars already have a grounded water temp gauge circuit whereas SC300's do not. The fix is simple:

You need to add a ground wire at the SC300 body plug IK2, Pin 24. Covered in better detail from my build thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10205846

The relevant post:

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Quick post. Thanks to the thread below and chnk's post on this in his build thread:
(https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9247948)

...I was able to figure out how to set up the needed ground wire at SC IK2, Pin 24 to get my factory cluster temp gauge working with the GTE engine. While the gauge temp sender's wire goes to SC IK1, Pin 9 the SC's are set up from the factory to ground this gauge circuit from within the harness... while Toyota Soarers and MKIV Supra TT's ground this wire from on the chassis side connector for IK2-24.

Prior to discovering this old thread I was going to solder in a 330 Ohm resistor in line with the IK1-9 temp sender wire.

The very old thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...with-pics.html

I made a post in there to add some detail from the SC300/400 TSRM schematic for the dash temp gauge sensor and also to offer my take on how to do this-- just ground IK2-24 from the harness side body plug rather than the chassis side.

I have many spare wires and terminal ends from a spare SC harness so I just found a terminal end that fit the SC IK2 connector and some length of brown SC harness wire to solder onto the terminal end.

Now I have what I need to ground that connection. I just need to decide if I want to run it into my harness to an existing ground bundle or if I will just ground it somewhere in the footwell area or possibly at an existing ground area on the tunnel floor below the stereo area.

I wish I had known about this while working on the first pass of the GTE harness conversion. At the time I could have easily run this wire to a suitable ground location well before taping everything up.

Now the oil level sensor issue, if you've already triple checked your wiring fix for that then you have a couple of other things to make sure you have right. First, make sure you are using the correct dipstick. You need to re-use the one from your SC300's original engine or from another SC300 (or order the part). Also, you need to use the oil level sensor from your SC300's original engine or from another SC300 (or order the part, but that's a pricey sensor and they last a very long time).

If you got your swap GTE engine from anything other than a Z30 Soarer or Supra MKIV then you will have had to swap on an SC/MKIV style oil pan. With those also go the matching oil level sensor and matching oil level dipstick.
Old 11-08-19, 07:54 AM
Rcreegan
Pit Crew

Only thing i can think of is that i have a bad ground somewhere. I am going to go to the auto parts store and add additional grounds to ensure everything is correct. It has to be a wiring issue. I swapped oil sensor and they both do the same thing. I will add chassis and battery grounds and additional block to battery grounds.
Old 11-13-19, 08:09 AM
Rcreegan
Pit Crew

@KahnBB6 i have the pin 24 grounded. That fixed the temp gauge , thank you. Now i still have the issue, it is the stock oem sc300 rear sump, stock dip stick, stock oil level sensor. I have a pin that looks like it was removed brown with a black stripe, that is the cluster ground. Where should that go? Pin 24 as well? If so it still leaves the light on. This wire is from the brown black from the sensor as well.