Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

rusEfi: open source DIY ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 01:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts
Default rusEfi: open source DIY ECU

Has anyone looked into the rusEfi (RUS Electronic Fuel Injection) open source ECU project? I just saw it on Grassroots Motorsports and started reading up on it, but I'm sure the performance gurus here will be able to digest it all much quicker than myself.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...d/79518/page1/
http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
https://sourceforge.net/projects/rusefi/

For $100-150 in parts, the barrier to entry is low enough that it would be cool if lots of us adopted it and sped up the maturation of the software.
Old 11-13-14, 09:46 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

very very interesting. so you completely scrap your own ECU (put it nicely in your glove box or somewhere safe) and they provide the hardware and software and it's simply onto tuning it yourself to get it running from there? if it's minimal programming i'm willing to give this a try. gonna go to the junk yard and get a spare ECU for the plugs that you still need i see in the videos.
Old 11-13-14, 10:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

That sounds about right, but there's also info about purchasing boards for certain setups. I'm not clear on how much flexibility there is to that approach, being well beyond my experience level. I assume all that's really needed is a donor set of input terminals for the wiring harness, which would then plug into whatever hardware their software needs to do its thing. If so, any dead ECU with the right pin arrangement would be equally suitable.

I wonder how much trial and error is involved in getting to a starting point that closely mimics the factory ECU? You would want all your basic functionality in place before you start tuning.

How cool would it be to have an open source CL database of SC maps for various purposes??
Old 11-14-14, 12:43 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

that would be heavenly, i'll look into this once i graduate, right now i'm not sleeping ever and just grinding away at my portfolio. once i got a career job it's back to my car and cool stuff like this. would really like to start something new like this. along with my light builds.
Old 11-14-14, 04:34 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waste of time. Development is a long way out to get to a mega squirt capability, and will only in theory be cheaper once everything is done. This is neat for someone trying to cheap out and advance in racing classes based on superior knowledge, but our cars and systems aren't ford festivas.

If anyone in this thread even understands how to tune a engine properly, then you'd realize that you could buy an ms3 and have your car running smoothly and efficiently before the rusefi guys make a setup capable of safely handling a jzgte or uz with less frustration and only slightly more money.
Old 11-14-14, 07:29 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^^^ Buzz kill.
Old 11-16-14, 06:22 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but as Vrank says, I don't think it will be wise to take a risk using such setup in an engine build for which one had spent so much money A properly built 2jzgte setup costs money. This ecu , is a project at this point.

This picture tells me that it will be a long way before it can be a reliable EMS and safely run & protect one's 2jzgte investments.

Old 11-16-14, 09:17 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Oh, I agree about it being risky with a built engine or FI setup. I was thinking more along the lines of trying it out on stock engines that won't be nearly as finicky, seeing if it can be made to closely resemble the factory programming, and then fiddle from there to tweak A-F ratio, shift points, etc.

I agree, that picture made me think it's not the most mature of products yet. At the same time, it also appears to be flexible enough to go in just about any direction you want to take it.