Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

supercharged sc300

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03, 11:47 PM
jdmsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharged sc300

doesnt the new is's come with a 2jzge motor just like the one in our sc300's. If so wont the supercharger kit for the IS fit on our sc300"s??????
Ryan
Old 03-04-03, 06:06 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

im not sure, but i am going to say no, because the IS's have the VVT-i

Kevin
Old 03-04-03, 07:51 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

The IS kit may fit. I don't see a real reason why not. The VVTi is not a problem per se, more of an obstacle when SC/TC a car. There is a SC with SC (that sounds funny), however, the $$$ to power ratio is poor compared to a NA-T or GTE swap.

MW
Old 03-04-03, 10:59 AM
MartelJF
Rookie

The $$$ to power ratio would really depend on the turbocharging kit you get, how long it takes to install, who does the isntall, complications, etc. Compare say, SC300TURBO's experience to Hermosa's. I mean, if Hermosa has actally paid $15,000 so far to get this thing working, I'd say that supercharger kit might require less fiddling, and thus, cost less in his scenario.

I would put it this way:

Find your shop. See which option they're more comfortable or experienced with; supercharging or turbocharging. Based on that, and what you infer about how difficult the install will be, make an intelligent decision about the most cost-effective, driveable, and path of least resistance solution. Sacrificing some horsepower to get a more realistic power boost seems reasonable to me - and let's be honest, most of us just want some more punch in our daily driving.

On a side note, not knowing anything abotu the IS300 supercharger, I'd verify that it's a roots or screw-style unit. I wouldn't go with centrifugal - see a post in the "Supercharging the SC400" section (or any of Peter's stuff) for more data as to the reasons why.
Old 03-04-03, 10:01 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS300 supercharger will fit the SC300 VVTi models but probably need a little tweaking with tuning. That is normal. I remember MO from Swift telling me this was pretty easy but he just needs a car to tune it on.
Old 03-05-03, 11:59 PM
jdmsoarer
Pole Position

Default ..

Hermosa,

I have a 92 sc300 with 60K miles. So u are saying that theoretically it should "bolt" on right. Im not sure if the 92 sc300 has "vvti" or an older version from toyota. Can you clarify on both of these questions. Thanks,..

Ryan
Old 03-08-03, 02:17 PM
lawman
Driver

Ryan,

Pretty sure the VVTi came on the 98 and later versions of the sc300, we older crowd do not have this. You can also pretty much do a direct hook up for the VVTi engines and the JDM 2jz-gte swap that came with the soarers accoding to the latest Turbo mag. Keep me infromed with what you find out regarding our non VVTi engines and a IS300 supercharger set up - I am interested.
Old 03-08-03, 11:05 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

FYI, SP Engineering has some pics of a Supercharged Sc300 on there website. Looks interesting and might warrent a call if anyone is interested.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Old 03-08-03, 11:22 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

According to the guy who works at SP, the guy pulled that supercharger in favor or a GTE swap. The power was just not there.

MW
Old 03-09-03, 04:01 AM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by TurboB6
FYI, SP Engineering has some pics of a Supercharged Sc300 on there website. Looks interesting and might warrent a call if anyone is interested.

Pic 1
Pic 2
interesting setup with the stock air box? where's the maf? standalone?
Old 03-09-03, 05:42 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blah; you can fabricate your own turbo kit or piece one together for far less than $15k...

plus a supercharger won't make jack for power... the 2jz was not meant to be supercharged... there's a huge thread on this from back in the day; go do some searching
Old 03-19-03, 12:50 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

The 15k figure was for an upgraded kit from the Stage II Toyomoto with installation plus all the 120K mile maintenance even though I don't have those miles. The kit itself was $6500 but with the extras that it needs to get to claimed horsepower you need to buy some electronics. So extras were $3500 in parts and then around $3k+ labor to install everything. I do recommend the GTE swap though. Someone is even selling two in the classifieds for cheap.
Old 10-27-09, 10:22 AM
SpiderN9NE
Lead Lap

Post Searching Around

ok well i was on youtube doing some browsing.....when this is300 video brought this back to my attention. So i log on CL to search and found this. I know this is an old thread so is there any new updates on this. i know it might be the best route but it give options on being different.

I also wonder why this question doesnt pop up as much as id think it would.
Old 10-27-09, 12:36 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it pops up every now and then, and the verdict is the same. the power gains of going na-t or a GTE swap are more efficient, not to mention the cost is much better. I though about fitting the IS supercharger kit at one point, then went na-t and havent looked back.
Old 10-27-09, 04:03 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

One thing.
This motor is meant to be turbocharged. It loves boost and can handle loads of power. Supercharging is unique and if I saw one in person I would be stoked. However cost wise so much more power can be made with a turbocharger setup on this motor.

Quick Reply: supercharged sc300