Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

supercharged sc300

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 11:26 AM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found this....

Old 11-04-09, 11:29 AM
Slade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by camberSC
Just found this....

wow.. twin charged. I bet that thing has no traction whatsoever.
Old 11-04-09, 12:44 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

nice find, whats that in a right hand corolla?
Old 11-04-09, 01:32 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sueno2jz
nice find, whats that in a right hand corolla?

correct......
Old 11-04-09, 01:35 PM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camberSC
Just found this....

Wait, so let me get this right... the SC compresses the air and shoots the compressed air into the intake side of the turbo for it to compress the compressed air? Lol... would that even work well?
Old 11-04-09, 10:10 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twincharging's been around for awhile, and there's multiple ways of doing it. It's not as efficient as you might think.
Old 11-05-09, 05:56 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, doesn't look very efficient to me lol.
Old 11-05-09, 08:29 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

that looks way to difficult to work with
Old 02-24-14, 11:54 PM
ThatSCguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I understand the fact that a 2J is just wanted and born to be boosted but can someone answer the question ? really interested
I have a 2jzge na and i wanna build power but i currently cant afford swapping a gte and a r154 atm.. or actually for awhile lol. I really want to build it decent enough to keep my head up hahah. How do you guys feel about ITB vs fat intakes and pipings?
Old 02-25-14, 12:30 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSCguy
I understand the fact that a 2J is just wanted and born to be boosted but can someone answer the question ? really interested
I have a 2jzge na and i wanna build power but i currently cant afford swapping a gte and a r154 atm.. or actually for awhile lol. I really want to build it decent enough to keep my head up hahah. How do you guys feel about ITB vs fat intakes and pipings?
I can understand why this route would interest you but I'm afraid I must disappoint you.

The one supercharger kit for the IS300's 2JZ-GE VVT-i engine has long since been discontinued and is very hard to find. It also won't work well on your distributor ignition system without total standalone engine management like a ProEFI or AEM V2... and a lot of custom dyno tuning.

There is a thread I was just reading the other day on Supraforums regarding this topic and in fact there is ONE other supercharger kit for 2JZ-GE's that a member there had prototyped. It cost him about $15k to have designed and he likes it but there was no financial incentive to put it into production. He still has the car and it still runs just fine but he's also pushing the same horsepower a mildly BPU'd 1JZ-GTE can get to.

Some of us would love to try a supposedly cheaper route to 300-350hp like supercharging on our cars but it really, truly and honestly will be cheaper to NA-T, 1JZ swap or 2JZ-GTE swap your car than to bother with supercharging. And of course that isn't really cheap to do it right and still you'd need an R154 or alternative beefy transmission.

Sorry but that's the truth if you have an SC300. The silver lining is that there is a lot of proven factory R&D in any of the GTE engines and a lot of NA-T knowledge that you can take advantage of.

Now with an SC400 with the 1UZ-FE V8... that's a different story. People in the US and Australia have been throwing Eaton M-90's and other blowers onto those engines with standalone ECUs to great success.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-25-14 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-25-14, 12:24 PM
KahnBB6

SC300's and MKIV's it's universally not a good option.

5.4L GT40's are supercharged and I don't see a problem with them. Then there are the supercharger-with-turbocharger combinations Lancia used in their insane Delta S4 Evoluzione rally cars in the 80's. All way out of budget for mere mortals but very effective nonetheless.

For an SC, unless you feel like spending a lot of cash on a 1UZ supercharger build, a turbo is the only option.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-25-14 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-25-14, 01:26 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think he is talking about a n/a build with a very old thread bump in the wrong thread.
ITB's has been done, quicker throttle response, not much more power, you can tune and tune and it sounds sick and everything but you will still be pretty slow. the amount you have to pay to get a ITB setup or fabricate ont (time = money) is not worth the power return. save up for a swap, na-t, or just a manual swap with intake exhaust and lsd and have some fun till you swap or na-t. oh yeah some people like to LS it now also, can't say I wouldn't do it if I was interested in those kind of motors the power on tap must make the chassis come alive.
Old 02-25-14, 02:32 PM
ThatSCguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I think he is talking about a n/a build with a very old thread bump in the wrong thread.
ITB's has been done, quicker throttle response, not much more power, you can tune and tune and it sounds sick and everything but you will still be pretty slow. the amount you have to pay to get a ITB setup or fabricate ont (time = money) is not worth the power return. save up for a swap, na-t, or just a manual swap with intake exhaust and lsd and have some fun till you swap or na-t. oh yeah some people like to LS it now also, can't say I wouldn't do it if I was interested in those kind of motors the power on tap must make the chassis come alive.
Sort of, KahnBB6 answered some of my questions thanks a lot by the way. I just got my sc300 recently with a w58 I was just debating which can get me power without needing to swap anything out.I was reading about Supercharger builds, NA-T builds, or swapping a GTTE but yeah basing it on ya'll opinion im trusting you guys and its a forsure no about attempting a supercharger since it doesnt even exist to begin with. I see that you have a NA-T Ali, would you have rather swapped a GTTE or go the route you went and NA-T? So many decsions to make. I wish a w58 can handle turbo but apparently not ? correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-25-14, 03:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have seen a supercharger on an IS300, but its rare and unless you have one its not worth the hassle you will make more power on the turbo setup, and the IS300 has no distributor so I am not sure where it would sit if you had the distributor still on our cars as the supercharger is in that area more or less.

na-t or gte, depends on how much you want to get involved and how much you want to spend, power goals, do you like single turbo vs twin turbo's, street car or all out make the most power, what power are you looking for, will all help figure out the route to go.

guys used to swapping out motors will find a gte swap pretty straight forward with all the info on here and following others build threads. if you like to custimize everything you can just start working on the motor you have and not have to double buy to go single turbo and all that stuff, easier to go APU from the start on a na-t (APU = advanced performance upgrades and single turbo is APU status in the supra community), but let me tell you I have driven the twin turbo gte also and man those little USDM turbo's are super fun if you can live in the 400hp range (the BPU status or Basic performance upgrades like intake/downpipe etc..) you just get power so much faster with the twins and in some ways I like that more on the street from light to light nothing can keep up at all if you can get traction, but then again the single turbo had this amazing punch of power when you start to get going and it kicks in harder, I dunno its like driving 2 entirely different very similar turbo cars.

If you rather turn some wrenches, arent afraid of a little wiring, and see it as an opportunity to customize everything to your liking look into na-t instead of a swap. IF you don't like those things you will think its a nightmare once you get started.

IF you like to just swap in a known super reliable motor that works just do the timing belt water pump maintanance drop it in and pay someone for a harness and turn the key and it works, a swap is a fantastic place to start, and then later down the road you can look to upgrades.
There were a few roadbloacks in my na-t build where I had that famous "why didn't I just buy a gte" moment that most na-t owners will have at some point, and well I can say to this day I still am na-t biased because now I know how to set one up right and I like to keep the original motor when possible because I know its history. the higher compression these days is just icing on the cake positive for na-t, used to be a negative.

The w58 can handle some power, I have had it at 11 psi for several years and then I was making pulls at 17 psi on it with no issues but I do try not to bang the gears or miss a shift and grind. above a certain power level arguably 350-400+ it just wont take the torque anymore and will eventually fail. That being said I probably spend more time working on it thatn driving it don't drive it that much these days but basically it can get you by for a while if you already have one I went na-t with mine, but everyone in that boat knows they will be replacing w58's down the road or swapping to an R154 when you break it.

Start saving for a r154 when you go turbo, and if you can do it right away even better because the w58 will need a stronger clutch/pressure plate the stock one lasted me about 5 pulls and it was so toast the higher gears would just slip after that, so instead of buying a clutch kit for the w58 and then an r154 and a clutch kit for that you can just save youself a few steps. If you can baby in the 300-350hp range then w58 is reliable enough to get by.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-25-14 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-25-14, 06:39 PM
KahnBB6

^^^ Yes to all above.

320-400hp isn't a bad place to be with a street car. As he stated, you can do well with an SC/MKIV W58 if you are kind to it but it's good to look into an R154 eventually.

The NA ITB idea is cool in theory but it's not going to even get close to stock 1JZGTE horsepower and torque. LRG SOUP's ITB Supra is an awesome feat, however. It cost him a small fortune and it isn't that fast but he went to the trouble just to do something different. Aside, it's worth noting that the Nissan RB26DETT has six individual ITB's from the factory despite it being turbocharged. I'm not trying to start an RB vs 2JZ discussion, just bringing up an interesting fact.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-25-14 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Quick Reply: supercharged sc300