Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 sc300 air flow meter or fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 10:01 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 sc300 air flow meter or fuel problem?

I just got a 92 sc300 5speed and it had no problems (for a month) until today..
I was driving at about 30-40 mph in 3rd gear and i stepped on the gas and the rpms didnt move..
i dropped it into 2nd and stepped on the gas and nothing.. so i pulled off and the car just died.
i tried starting it again and it just died after about a second of idleing.. so i under the hood and
couldnt see any problems, and i just unplugged the afm and plugged it back in and it started up again..
i drive about 6 more minutes, shut off my car to go into a store, come back out and it doesent start agian!! i popped my hood and did the same thing... actually i just kinda pushed the afm plug / wiggled it a little bit..

have any of you guys ever heard/ experienced this problem?? I was thinking it was a fuel prob possibly, but have you heard of afms just going bad?? this is what my mechanic friend said, but its hard to believe taht they just "go bad"my car has 109k right now... any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!!
Old 03-02-03, 10:07 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

gotboost,

Welcome to CL. I would suggest do simple maintenance. Check the basics and change the cheap parts. The fuel filter would be a place to look. Simple other areas would be a good idea too. You can also try to reset the computer.

MW
Old 03-02-03, 11:41 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

ok i'll try the fuel filter.. I had a 93Mr2 turbo, and several other hondas before, and I have never had this problem before. I have a supraTT fuel pump that i was gonna put in my mr2, but since I picked up the sc i figured i was going to put that in when i turboed it. Maybe I'll just slap that in now since its "free" for me to do..
do i really have to remove some part of the intake manifold to change spark plugs?? this is just what i have heard.. i havent really checked it out yet though..
has anyone gone with larger spark plug wires on the sc300?? doesent seem like there's a lot of room for 8mm or anything larger than stock..
thanks!
Old 03-03-03, 08:06 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

gotboost,

You can search for the procedure on plugs. It is a lengthy process and you do need to remove the intake. Larger wires are not really a necessity and most people here prefer the stocks. If you put a larger fuel pump in, you may want to get some type of air/fuel management.

MW
Old 03-03-03, 10:00 PM
qmtran
Driver

Default 92 sc300 air flow meter or fuel problem?

actually buddy, your problem seems like mines. i took it to the lexus dealer and they told me it was the "throttle position sensor" or "tps" was was foul. so you got to replace that. lexus part costs round 100 bucks and 200 for install which is y i didn't do it yet. trying to do it myself...if you know how, let me know.
Old 03-03-03, 10:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Is the supra fuel pump like the sc's pump? (2 speed)

I'd stick with a 2 speed fuel pump if not. (JMO)

If wiggling something makes it better, i'd say you have found the source of the fault.
Old 03-03-03, 10:32 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Default hmm

actually i have no idea if the pump is a 2 speed... originally i bought it for my turbo mr2 until someone crashed it!
all i know is that it was for a 94-up TT supra.. and SUPPOSEDLY it just drops in.. and its so easy to do on our cars.. i just kinda assumed that people that turbo the 2jz-ge would throw in the supra TT fuel pump..
i was planning on doing the turbo in about 3-4 months.. but i figured since i have the pump might as well slap it in since i cant figure out whats going wrong!
i know on hondas the tps sensor is on the throttle body.. i have no idea where they are on the sc!! ill go take a look at my car later and see if i can find it.. if its anything like a honda then it shouldn't be hard to replace..
its really weird though how wiggleing a connection would make the car start up again..
i went to home depot and bought a can of "contact cleaner" (quick drying.. because the regular one takes 6 hours to dry) and sprayed it on the small pins of the afm and the metal of the connector today and SO FAR it has been working fine. (as in it will start up again!!)

if this doesent work then maybe ill go for that TPS.. thanks!!

oh last thing to note:
a toyota tech said NOT to replace the fuel filter... because it is a "lifetime" fuel filter?? i have never heard of anything like this before.. anyways the part was 30 bucks but i'm not exactly sure if i want to replace it after that guy said i would probably end up messing up the fuel lines in the replacement process..
Old 03-05-03, 02:17 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

The pump will fit no problem my car has 2 300zx tt pumps in the tank only useing one at this time works
okay. Clen your tps and set it using the procudure in the above thread .
Old 03-05-03, 03:21 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up hmm

ok THANKS to whoever posted a suggestion as to "opening the gas cap" when it happens next.. it happened to me today and i popped the gas cap open and it fired up instantly! when i get home im gonna throw in my supra tt fuel pump! if that doesent solve it then im gonna go find that fuel ecu.. its gotta be cheaper than the air flow meter
Old 03-05-03, 11:58 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I have an af meter that works just fine if you are interested (PM me). The stock SC300 fuel pump is a two speed pump. There is a test procedure somewhere here. Could be the fuel filter, fuel pump ecu, air filter or many other things.