Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT head Gasket on non turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-14, 07:41 AM
silver470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT head Gasket on non turbo?

Is it possible to safely run the TT head gasket on a non turbo motor. I plan on going turbo but not just yet. OR is it better to just do the stock non turbo head gasket and when i turbo it, re do everything again??
Old 10-13-14, 10:10 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

The turbo gasket is MLS (Multi Layer Steel) I don't know about the NA head gasket. If they are both MLS, pick the one that is the right thickness for the compression you want.
If the NA is a composite material, change it out to the MLS gasket. The MLS style gasket is a superior product.
Old 10-13-14, 11:25 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure why you would change it out before hand....unless the stock HG is blown....Im sure you could do it but dont see the purpose....I will lower the compression and since you are not turbo you will most likely lose power
Old 10-13-14, 12:31 PM
silver470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Not sure why you would change it out before hand....unless the stock HG is blown....Im sure you could do it but dont see the purpose....I will lower the compression and since you are not turbo you will most likely lose power
I dont think it is blown. Motor has 230k on it.... leaking all over the whole engine was covered. mainly from the valve covers. timing was done at 92k so its over due for a second.... replacing water pump because its leaking... alternator is dead or so gunked up its not charging. header was cracked in the y pipe area. i already have most of the stuff off. intake manifold is being a B**ch. I do want to go turbo but not atleast till next summer. it doesnt seem like that much extrat to throw a new gasket in there and hopefully have a solid motor ready to be turbo. when i do go turbo i want the FFIM (SCREW THIS GE MANIFOLD!!!) so ill have to take a bunch of stuff off anyways..
Old 10-13-14, 01:36 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silver470
I dont think it is blown. Motor has 230k on it.... leaking all over the whole engine was covered. mainly from the valve covers. timing was done at 92k so its over due for a second.... replacing water pump because its leaking... alternator is dead or so gunked up its not charging. header was cracked in the y pipe area. i already have most of the stuff off. intake manifold is being a B**ch. I do want to go turbo but not atleast till next summer. it doesnt seem like that much extrat to throw a new gasket in there and hopefully have a solid motor ready to be turbo. when i do go turbo i want the FFIM (SCREW THIS GE MANIFOLD!!!) so ill have to take a bunch of stuff off anyways..
I remember when I tore down my GE...the worst part was getting the EGR tube off the Y intake...I was tired of messing with it and pulled it out and put GTE in lol...

I would also install ARP headstuds when you do the HG
Old 10-13-14, 07:14 PM
silver470
Driver School Candidate

I remember when I tore down my GE...the worst part was getting the EGR tube off the Y intake...I was tired of messing with it and pulled it out and put GTE in lol...

I would also install ARP headstuds when you do the HG
U put on a GTE manifold or GTE engine?
Old 10-13-14, 09:49 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure he's referring to swapping in a GTE motor by looking at his sig. But as to your question you can run a TT head gasket fine in your N/A until you go turbo. It will lower your compression so while your N/A you'll lose some hp and the car will feel slower. It is well worth changing out the headgasket though as you will be able to run higher psi of boost later on when you're turbo and also have less of a worry of blowing a head gasket. I've seen many times on here people neglecting to change the head gasket before they go turbo and they push too much psi and poof there goes the HG. Don't quote me but I believe the TT HG drops it to 9.3:1 compression from 10.1:1
Old 10-15-14, 07:56 AM
suprakidxx
Driver

Yes a TT Hg will fit in your GE engine. Im using one myself.
Old 10-15-14, 09:21 AM
silver470
Driver School Candidate

i know it will fit. im wondering if it will run fine with the TT HG without a turbo.. DO i need any tuning? i wanna run it like this for a few months before I get the turbo.
Gonna buy the ARP studs and TT HG this weekend and hopefully get the engine back together by next weekend.
Old 10-15-14, 09:29 AM
suprakidxx
Driver

Originally Posted by silver470
i know it will fit. im wondering if it will run fine with the TT HG without a turbo.. DO i need any tuning? i wanna run it like this for a few months before I get the turbo.
Gonna buy the ARP studs and TT HG this weekend and hopefully get the engine back together by next weekend.
no tuning needed on stock ecu. i ran a 2.4mm which is thicker than the tt one for a year without turbo. its just as powerful as a 7mge thats all.
Old 10-15-14, 02:31 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if by run fine you mean make a little less power and a have a little worse fuel economy, then yes it will run fine.
Old 10-16-14, 11:43 AM
silver470
Driver School Candidate

What would be the best and ideally cheapest place to get the twinturbo head gasket and arp head studs? cheapest iv found them for is 300$ (thats 1/3 the whole price of the car) lol
Old 10-16-14, 11:53 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Toyota list price on the TT headgasket is at around $190.....it can be found for $140-150

ARP Headstuds can be found for around $150......or less.....

FYI the head studs can be reused....so you could purchase them used....If you go this route I would recommend getting new washers and nuts from ARP...

I would check Supraforums & Club Lexus Classifieds...
Old 10-16-14, 01:31 PM
suprakidxx
Driver

Toyota list price on the TT headgasket is at around $190.....it can be found for $140-150

ARP Headstuds can be found for around $150......or less.....

FYI the head studs can be reused....so you could purchase them used....If you go this route I would recommend getting new washers and nuts from ARP...

I would check Supraforums & Club Lexus Classifieds...
do not use ARP washers I have proof they sink into the alum cast. use the factory washers. factory washers are larger in diameter.
Old 10-17-14, 06:42 AM
silver470
Driver School Candidate

Well its finally nice enough to work on the car. still gotta get a bunch of stuff off but i will be ordering stuff this weekend. i found arp head studs on ebay for 147 brand new and the guy has more then 10 sets available. as for the head gasket..... i think im just gonna go to my local toyota dealer as they are on the supraforums selling the TT HG. Should I also just get new washers from the dealer??

Quick Reply: TT head Gasket on non turbo?