Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gated shifter help! Car will not move when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 06:16 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gated shifter help! Car will not move when in gear

Ok so put my interior back together after finishing some wiring for things for my 2jzgte swap
Now I've got mostly everything done and try to go take the car for a test drive and when I put in drive to move it's not doing anything but revving up when I give it gas , does this in every gear I select
I'm thinking something's not hooked up right or maybe I broke something possibly when I reinstalled the shifter unit
Tore back into it today and only thing I saw ( was dark already) was these two things which weren't attached to anything
And to add to it when I connect my battery and put my key in the ignition and start it, when I go to turn the car off it won't let me remove me key! I have to disconnect my battery just to be able to remove my key

Need help with some direction I'm lost ;(

Last edited by sc300bigtx; 09-25-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-26-14, 08:51 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Check your brake switch wire connection, that would cause the issue with not being able to remove the key from the ignition. How did you adjust the shifter rod? seems it is not done right and the transmission is not actually going gear when you move the shifter.
Take a step back and recheck all the connections.
Old 09-26-14, 09:20 AM
sc300bigtx
Driver

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Check your brake switch wire connection, that would cause the issue with not being able to remove the key from the ignition. How did you adjust the shifter rod? seems it is not done right and the transmission is not actually going gear when you move the shifter.
Take a step back and recheck all the connections.
I'm not saying your wrong , but just don't see how that could be tied into why the key wouldn't be able to be removed
I have checked all connectors and they are attached(minus the temp sensor for the Trans , I'm using an aftermarket one)
The shift linkage I reused mine from the oem Trans
When I shift into the gears It's moving the shift linkage and on my instrument cluster the gears do illuminate when I select said gear

I called tweakd performance as they did my hanress and he believes my two issues are related
And that my issue may reside mechanically in the shifter somehow possibly
He explained that when the shift moves and the gear indicator moves into gear on the cluster that the transsmision is indeed in that gear
Yet my car will not move ....

Anyone have any other suggestions/ideas? Wondering if broke/misinstalled my gated shifter possibly?
Old 09-26-14, 09:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

shouldn't those be plugged in. if the ecu is not aware of the gear its not going to shift right i thought.
If its coming up on the cluster it should be telling the ecu also but why the 2 extra connectors.
Old 09-26-14, 12:15 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
shouldn't those be plugged in. if the ecu is not aware of the gear its not going to shift right i thought.
If its coming up on the cluster it should be telling the ecu also but why the 2 extra connectors.
I don't know what those two plugs are for that's why I posted the picture
I'm hoping someone can chime in tell me
Also hope someone can help and explain/ if not eliminate my shifter being the culprit
Cause it was pretty nasty when I first took it out and the black plastic slider that covers the opening was broke in pieces
Old 09-26-14, 12:38 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Did you make sure the shift linkage underneath the car is connected? Youre probably in neutral and do not have the linkage bolted down thats why you cannot remove the key.
Old 09-26-14, 06:00 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

Got it figured out guys
Key still won't come out of ignition but my alignment is way off so hopefully when steering wheel gets straightened up and alignment done maybe wheel will lock and key will come free
Got figure out why my climate control won't come on now too;(