Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering noise HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 09:20 AM
suprasoup
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power Steering noise HELP!!!

Hey guys looking for some insight I have a 93 sc300 and lately when ive been driving I notice car struggles when turning left it will turn but it will do it in a stuttering type manner. The engine doesnt struggle just the actual turning process motor runs strong.

So I checked the fluid was a bit dirty so I flushed the system and burped it of air during the process of burping I had the front wheels up and the car was running as I turn the wheel from lock to lock it did the stuttering thing worse however it slowly got a lil better as the bubbles were removed however never fully went away but got better

I cut the car off and would turn the wheel and it turns fine and smooth no stuttering however if I cut the car on and the pump is running it causes this problem. I checked the boots on the rack and they are not full of fluid or real dirty not ripped or anything, I have the daizen rack bushings so solid rack.

I dont have any leaks from pump or rack the pump is not noisy atleast not noticeable. Funny part is it mainly does it when turnig left "wierd".

So I'm leaning toward the pump going bad just want to get some other opinions.

If it is the pump do ya'll recommend the doing a toyota rebuild kit or just replace it with a reman one.

thanks

Last edited by suprasoup; 09-24-14 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-24-14, 10:59 AM
suprasoup
Driver

I have not removed the solenoid on the rack to clean the filter I may give that a try today.

After doing some more reading it seems like anyone that is burping the PS system of air after flushing and refilling the PS system experiences the stuttering steering until it goes away with the air, that is the exact same experience I'm having but with the car on the ground under pressure but it does it either way on the ground or in the air but only with the car on.
Old 09-24-14, 10:43 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe the fluid isn't flowing far enough. There is a screen in the bottom of the PS reservoir. Sometimes it gets dirty/clogged. Or your pump is going out
Old 09-25-14, 12:00 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

usually the pumps just go instantly. are you using ATF dexron III? regular PS fluid is not recommended for these cars and causes leaks and many other problems.
Old 09-25-14, 08:58 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Is your SC smoking white exhaust?
Old 09-25-14, 10:42 AM
suprasoup
Driver

No white smoke I flushed the system again with some seafoam for trans and power steering and it cleaned up nicely nice red color and I also received the resevoir to clean the filter inside it was dirty and cleaned well reinstalled without replacing the o ring on the bottom put everything back together and guess what it started leaking took the resevoir back off and now the o ring is ripped haha so guess I'll be replacing this as well.

Ill keep y'all posted
Thanks
Old 09-25-14, 09:24 PM
suprasoup
Driver

Ok so got everything put back together no more leaking, burped the system and topped it off with atf took it for a drive and still has the problem however I can occasionally here the pump groan yet it's got fluid and I cleaned it so I think I have a bad pump.

Should I buy a reman pump or rebuild kit.
Old 09-25-14, 11:51 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

pumps aren't that much and most places have lifetimes warranty so if it ever goes bad again just get a new one. that's completely up to you, whether you wanna rebuild it yourself or just buy one and be done with it.
Old 09-26-14, 07:43 AM
suprasoup
Driver

Originally Posted by oldManTan
pumps aren't that much and most places have lifetimes warranty so if it ever goes bad again just get a new one. that's completely up to you, whether you wanna rebuild it yourself or just buy one and be done with it.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards do you have any recommended brands I've seen
A1cardon
Masterpro
Duralast

All with lifetime warranties
Old 09-26-14, 12:06 PM
suprasoup
Driver

So I decided to go with a napa pump for better quality only $170
Old 09-27-14, 10:31 PM
suprasoup
Driver

So I installed the new pump and unfortunately I still have the same problem I hate throwing money at something and not resolving the issue.

Any suggestions

Maybe I got a bad pump or the rack is bad or could it be something else I'm missing.
Old 09-28-14, 12:08 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

could be the high pressure hose, but those things are really expensive, i recommend finding one at a junk yard. they're like another 150 for just a hose.
Old 09-28-14, 09:22 AM
suprasoup
Driver

Originally Posted by oldManTan
could be the high pressure hose, but those things are really expensive, i recommend finding one at a junk yard. they're like another 150 for just a hose.
Could it be bad even though it is not leaking if so would you mind explaining how.
Old 09-28-14, 09:48 AM
suprasoup
Driver

Its like there is air in the system and stutters when turning but I don't see any bubbles in the resevoir I'll try burbing it some more today to see if it helps.
Old 09-28-14, 02:44 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

try driving it around for a day. might have some air still in the PS system. also you can use a the pressure hose from a 94+ supra for a sc300. supra pressure hose should be less then $100 new.

Quick Reply: Power Steering noise HELP!!!