Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weird Issues With SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 06:01 AM
MusicaXIX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Issues With SC400

I just recently bought a 1995 SC400 in Jersey City, NJ. I decided I was going to get it there and drive it home since the price was amazing for the car. I couldn't do the whole drive that day due to scheduling issues, so here are the problems I am presented with on the short 4 hour drive:

1. Whenever the steering wheel is turned to the left at a certain angle, there is a sound that seems like there is something bouncing against the frame or the car or the wheel.

2. Anyone know about any transmission seals? I was told the noise that would come from the center console of the car that made it really sound annoying was because there was no cover to block the sound from the transmission.

3. When I completed the drive to my uncle's house where I left it and parked the car, there was some smoke coming from the engine bay, and it sounded like rubber was burning. How can you tell if it is the brakes, the wheels, or maybe a part of the engine that I may need to be concerned more about. The length of the drive was 217~ miles, if that helps any.
Old 09-18-14, 06:38 AM
adc27
Rookie

Turn wheel to left and look in wheel well. Where was the smoke coming from in the engine bay? If it was your brakes they would be smoking and making noise
Old 09-18-14, 06:49 AM
MusicaXIX
Driver School Candidate

The smoke seemed to be coming from the left side of the engine bay if you were looking at the car straight on. It drove fine for 200 miles, then when I stopped and parked it I smelled that burning rubber smell and saw the smoke. It wasn't a TON of smoke, but it was still enough to raise some concerns.
Old 09-18-14, 12:13 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Smells mean everything. Can you tell the difference between brake pads, plastic, clutch, tires etc smells?? If so, which are you smelling?
Old 09-19-14, 07:11 AM
MusicaXIX
Driver School Candidate

I can tell the smell of tires and clutch, but I don't know brake pads and plastic. I'm not near the car currently, so I can't check, but when I get a chance, i'll post a pic/video here of the issue.
Old 09-20-14, 12:07 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like either a valve cover gasket is leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold and is being burned, or the tire is rubbing and smoking. If it where something on the front of the engine causing the belt to smoke, I think you would have warning lights on.
Old 09-22-14, 12:21 PM
MusicaXIX
Driver School Candidate

I have videos of the smoke. But at this point I don't think it matters because...

Sad sad day.
Old 09-22-14, 07:35 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest checking the wheel well liner, sometimes parts of it can crack and it can hang and rub on the tire. Enough friction can cause smoke, you can just use scissors to cut any bits of the wheel well liner that are dangling down. I had the same problem with my car driving me mad until I discovered it was an incredibly simple thing to fix.

Sucks the car got hit though, how'd it happen? Hopefully you had it insured right?
Old 09-23-14, 03:17 PM
MusicaXIX
Driver School Candidate

Yes it was insured. Rear ended at a red light. So I'm dealing with the other party's insurance to get it repaired. Hopefully it gets repaired cause I've grown attached to it.
Old 09-23-14, 08:33 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad news, but there's a very large probability it will be totalled. The rear quarter panel damage alone is enough for most shops to total it out. Hopefully they give you a good bit of cash so you can find another one though. I understand what it's like as these cars really can grow on you.
Old 09-30-14, 11:52 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about the bad news of being rear-ended. Did you get hit a second time aswell or did you hit a poll after being hit since there is also damage along the side and door?